QS Fare that won't break the calorie bank

poohteacher

Mouseketeer
Please understand...I do intend to enjoy eating on my vacation! I have booked my favorite TS restaurants for dinner and will be ordering what I like. I also will indulge in some of the goodies that I love like a Dole Whip. However, I am also going to try to be smart about selections at lunch and breakfast so that I don't have to worry about dieting on top of feeling lousy that our vacation is over once we are home. What are some of your favorite dishes to grab from QS that are healthier/lower in calories? I'm interested in resort as well as park options. Thanks for the input. I'm looking forward to your responses.

All ears will lists menus. Have you checked those out?

In general--more veggies, more fruits, lean protein is the way to go. Pick a meal as your "splurge" meal where you give yourself a little more food freedom. For other meals avoid the heavily sauced dishes. I do not recall, but some me is may have the healthier options indicated.

For snacks, Disney is pretty good about having fruit, veggies, and hummus available.

If you can limit sweets and "junk", you will be better off. Knowing you want a dole whip to be your treat, maybe it is your one treat.

I already know that I want to try the waffle with Nutella and fruit at Sleepy Hollow in MK. That may be my splurge for the day. :-). But if I share, it won't have to be.

I also am going to try to not overdo it but also still have fun! I'm actually hoping to split a lot of meals with my mom or sister. Disney portions tend to be large anyway. And I plan to split treats when feasible - I figure that way I'll get to sample more things. I am definitely getting that nutella & fruit waffle!

We also plan to eat most breakfasts in our room and then I will go really lite - yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit or something like that.

Good quick service places for healthier options include Columbia Harbor House in Magic Kingdom, Sunshine Seasons in EPCOT, Landscape of Flavors at Art of Animation Resort, The Wave at Contemporary Resort, Flame Tree BBQ at AK has a smoked chicken salad I'm looking forward to trying. They also have a fruit plate served with yogurt.

Sunshine Seasons (Epcot)
Japan CS (epcot)
Flametree BBQ (fruit plate) (AK)
Any of the value resorts food courts

If you like fish there is a salmon dish at Columbia Harbour House. I think it's served with couscous and broccoli.

The salad metioned above at Flame Tree BBQ is really good, although you might want to get the dressing on the side :)

Wolfgang Puck at DTD has some great salads too.

Wolfgang Puck Express has a wonderful spinach salad. We always order it without the radicchio.

The Mara at AKL has a very tasty Mara salad with lentils and chicken.

Earl of Sandwich has a selection of salads. I had the spinach, berry, almond salad last night in DTD Anaheim and it was very good.

It would certainly make our travels a bit easier and knowing the ingredients/calorie counts of meals help consumers make more informed choices. I hope someday they have all nutritional info available online, a girl can dream.:thumbsup2

Ps:Have to check out the Earl salad mentioned above, sounds awesome!!!

The Antipasto Salad at Pizza Planet is one of my favorite salads.
Sunshine Seasons: The Roasted Beets and Goat Cheese Salad (hold the goat cheese for me:worried:) is yummy as well as the Spicy Togarashi Seared Tuna Noodle Salad. I tried the Oak-Grilled Vegetable Flatbread Sandwich and while it was tasty, I was starving not long after.
I think the Chicken and Lamb Shawarma Platter at Tangierine Café is a yummy, lighter option as well.
WPE @ DTD has some great salads and I LOVE the Salmon.
AK - I tried the Chicken and Pasta salad at Pizzafari and it was gross.
MK - I love CHH but I always get the fried shrimp plate - they do have lighter and healthier choices there.

Definitely check out the menus at allears.net. You can get an idea of which places have a good variety of healthy choices. There's nothing worse than walking around when you're hungry, reading menu after menu, but not finding anything you want to eat.

A few general rules that will cut calories - Order chicken sandwiches without the mayo/sauce and/or cheese. Load your sandwich with veggies if there's a toppings bar. Choose sliced apples or grapes as an alternative to fries when offered. For salads, ask if there's a light dressing option. Always order dressing on the side. Skip dessert at counter service meals, or have fruit. I've never found a counter service dessert I really liked anyway. Save those calories for table service.

I think you're smart to try to watch calories now and then on vacation!:)

Cosmic Rays also has a yummy chicken Caesar salad - dh and I split one in March when we were there.

I am a life time member of Weight Watchers and I always watch what I eat when I am in Disney or really any vacation. I do exercise while I am on vacation, not go to the gym, but I get up and walk each morning, and evening, or I do an exercise tape each morning.
I book 1 sit down breakfast, a sit down lunch or dinner and the Tea at the GF.
For the remainder of my meals, I eat counter service and I order kids meals, the portion size is perfect for me, I get a burger, pizza, whatever and get that with the grapes and carrots, it also includes a small water, breakfast kids meals are perfect for me.
It keeps your calories down, you are not over eating, and for me it saves quite a bit of money. The portion size of the adult meals are just too big and way too many calories
I also have 1 treat a day, either pop corn, a Mickey Ice Cream, a dole whip etc.
My last few trips I have come home not gaining an ounce, or even losing a pound or two.
I am going to WDW in 11 days with my my 6 year old grand daughter, this one may be a bit tough for me. I have booked 2 character meals, a lunch at Sci Fi, Dinner at T-Rex and Wishes dessert as well as the Frozen package at DHS, I will eat sensible at the sit down meals, and try to stick to fruit at the desserts, all other meals will be child meals at counter service.

I prefer lighter foods as well-here are my favorites:

Magic Kingdom: salmon at Columbia Harbor House, sweet potato at Liberty Square Market

Epcot: Sunshine Seasons and Tangierine Cafe (several chooses at each)

Hollywood Studios: Couscous, quinoa and arugula salad w/salmon at ABC Commissary

Animal Kingdom: BBQ chicken salad at Flametree Barbecue

Downtown Disney-Wolfgang Puck Express (spoiled for choice here!)

Bon Apetit!

Just wanted to add - watch those dressings. Some salads are more calories than a burger with fries. It looks/sounds healthy but isn't. Get the dressing on the side and dip your fork into the dressing and then into the salad. You get the taste without being too overwhelming. In addition to some of the items already listed, at Contempo Cafe @ Contemporary they have a great grilled mahi mahi.

We love Be our Guest for lunch and they have some awesome healthier choices!! Ahi tuna salad, a quinoa salad, a veggie quiche, a mahi mahi kids meal and my favorite, the feast a la beast! It's the braised pork kids meal, I get it with sweet potato and green beans, so good!

I'm glad to hear that quinoa is on the menu in a couple of places. It's one of my faves! I also love the suggestion of ordering child size portions or splitting.

We also seek out healthy options at WDW. Animal Kingdom has several good options, including fruit plates and falafel sandwiches, but I especially love to split a lunch at the Yak and Yeti counter service. The portions are huge, so it's very easy for two adults to share.

Almost all parks offer good salads, and Sunshine Seasons at Epcot has particularly tasty options.

Columbia Harbor House in Magic Kingdom has a delicious hummus sandwich, and I enjoyed the vegetable quiche and side salad for lunch at Be Our Guest.

If you study the menus, you'll find plenty of fruit, vegetable, salad and seafood/chicken options at the parks and resorts.

Bon appetit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter