Q re: vow renewals on Castaway Cay...

Blytheny

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
So, my DH and I are considering a 4 or 5 nt cruise to celebrate our 20yr anniversary in 2 yrs. We're not sure we want to do anything that would take us away from our girls any longer, and doing a cruise instead of "just" a land trip somewhere seems more special. We've long considered renewing our vows for our 20th, but never really considered making it a big family & friends party - more just us, privately.

So, I got to thinking about having a small, private ceremony on CC... never really thought about whether or not Disney did this regularly. Well, in researching it, I discovered that of course, Disney DOES do this all the time, and has a whole special "package" you can book to do it... to the tune of $3500!! WAY more than we want to spend... we don't need all the fancy champagne and cakes, music and clothes being pressed, etc... or even dinner at Palo. All we'd like is an officiant.

Does anyone know if this is even possible, or would Disney say no to us having something so small and inexpensive?? It's not that we don't want to celebrate, but really... $3500 on top of a $2000 cruise for nothing more than cake, champagne, dinner and a few other niceties seems a bit crazy.

So, any feedback on whether or not anyone knows if something simple like we're looking for can be done would be greatly appreciated... I know I can contact their wedding planners or cruise agents, but thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks!!

Blytheny said:
So, my DH and I are considering a 4 or 5 nt cruise to celebrate our 20yr anniversary in 2 yrs. We're not sure we want to do anything that would take us away from our girls any longer, and doing a cruise instead of "just" a land trip somewhere seems more special. We've long considered renewing our vows for our 20th, but never really considered making it a big family & friends party - more just us, privately.

So, I got to thinking about having a small, private ceremony on CC... never really thought about whether or not Disney did this regularly. Well, in researching it, I discovered that of course, Disney DOES do this all the time, and has a whole special "package" you can book to do it... to the tune of $3500!! WAY more than we want to spend... we don't need all the fancy champagne and cakes, music and clothes being pressed, etc... or even dinner at Palo. All we'd like is an officiant.

Does anyone know if this is even possible, or would Disney say no to us having something so small and inexpensive?? It's not that we don't want to celebrate, but really... $3500 on top of a $2000 cruise for nothing more than cake, champagne, dinner and a few other niceties seems a bit crazy.

So, any feedback on whether or not anyone knows if something simple like we're looking for can be done would be greatly appreciated... I know I can contact their wedding planners or cruise agents, but thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks!!

I looked at this and honestly they don't provide for a smaller package. Here's the cruise brides thread-
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2916225
The one thing I've thought of is going out on deck dressed up and reciting our vows again with our kids then getting a celebration cake in our suite afterward, but then we dont get the flowers and special treatment but we could use a friend as officiant. Haven't decided yet, if we'll pay for the renewal on our 2014 cruise or just skip it and enjoy the cruise.
I don't know. If we get a few friends on board it might be worth it just for the fun aspect.

Oh and as to cost, $3500 for a reception, ceremony, cake, flowers, officiant and gown and tux steaming is kinda a screaming deal as compared to the rest of the wedding industry.

Average wedding in America-
$25,631 not including the honeymoon
You can check in your area here-
http://www.costofwedding.com/

It may be worth asking this question over on the 'weddings and honeymoons' board. Here is the link

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=55

However, it is my understanding that Disney will not allow it. Certainly, if you try to 'make your own arrangements' at the parks or the resorts, and are discovered, you risk expulsion. Their explanation is that it would be unfair on couples who have paid and taken the conventional route.
All this said, I guess there is nothing preventing you from finding a quiet spot on the island, and re-mewing your vows to each other privately. It may be difficult to find somebody to perform an actual ceremony though, if that is what you would wish.
Good luck - I hope you work something out.

I think people who want to do something like this without going through Disney often do it on a different island. I believe I've read of many people getting married while in Nassau, for instance.

No personal experience, but I've read of people doing a package on another island for a whole lot less. You might check with hotels on the islands you'll be visiting if you want a pre-arranged package.

Suggestion: since you dont need an officiant with any legal standing (since you're already married) if you have a cabin with a balcony, you could have a ceremony on your balcony. Then you and your friends go to dinner together.

I thought they held the vow renewals onboard the ship...not on Castaway Cay?

Anyway, when we did our vow renewal, we didn't want to spend that much to do it indoors, so we arranged one in Key West, and it was beautiful! At the Southernmost Point, on the beach, our choice of musician, cake, champagne......awesome.

I had done an extensive Google search to find a wedding planner that seemed like the right fit for us.

I thought they held the vow renewals onboard the ship...not on Castaway Cay?

Anyway, when we did our vow renewal, we didn't want to spend that much to do it indoors, so we arranged one in Key West, and it was beautiful! At the Southernmost Point, on the beach, our choice of musician, cake, champagne......awesome.

I had done an extensive Google search to find a wedding planner that seemed like the right fit for us.

They do weddings and VRs on both the ship and on CC. I believe that ceremonies on CC are more expensive!!!!

We renewed our vows in May, and we wanted the same thing as you are describing. What we did was get off in Nassau and we met with the most fabulous officiant, The Island Preacha (Matt Sweeting). He was seriously amazing, and DH wants to use him again when we renew in 10 more years ;) He knows of a few free public spots on the beach to do the ceremony. We also hired a photographer to capture the moment. Total spent - $500. Then we went back on the ship and went to Palo that evening. The next day we enjoyed Castaway Cay as vacationers. It was perfect. :lovestruc

Oh and as to cost, $3500 for a reception, ceremony, cake, flowers, officiant and gown and tux steaming is kinda a screaming deal as compared to the rest of the wedding industry.

Yeah, I don't know what kind of weddings these people are having, but my dd just got married in September and we spent around $5000. That included her dress, my dd's maid of honor dress, dh's tux, my dress, our shoes, flowers, decorations for the ceremony and reception, food, and pictures. We had around 200 people in attendance. Everyone thought we spent about twice the amount that we actually did.;)

OP: I was thinking of having a vow renewal in a couple of years for our 30th anniversary. We were looking at Castaway Cay, but like you, the price on top of the cruise price is a little more than we want to pay. I know it's Disney, but it's still pricey. I'm sure it will only increase over the next two years, too. I kinda like the idea of just having a little private moment, just the two of us, on the ship or even on Castaway Cay. Something to think about.

Suggestion: since you dont need an officiant with any legal standing (since you're already married) if you have a cabin with a balcony, you could have a ceremony on your balcony. Then you and your friends go to dinner together.

Exactly. There's absolutely NO need for any sort of official person to conduct a vow renewal.

SleepyDeb said:

That's a great idea! I think it would be sweet to have a close friend or family member (or even an older child!) "officiate" at a vow renewal.

We renewed our vows in May, and we wanted the same thing as you are describing. What we did was get off in Nassau and we met with the most fabulous officiant, The Island Preacha (Matt Sweeting). He was seriously amazing, and DH wants to use him again when we renew in 10 more years ;) He knows of a few free public spots on the beach to do the ceremony. We also hired a photographer to capture the moment. Total spent - $500. Then we went back on the ship and went to Palo that evening. The next day we enjoyed Castaway Cay as vacationers. It was perfect. :lovestruc

What a GREAT idea!! We will definitely look into that... we are planning on this being a "solo cruise", not bringing anyone else along that we then have to entertain... just us. :beach: So doing something like that would be perfect -- thank you so much!!

Wow, that is seriously crazy... when we got married, I think we spent about $10K.... still WAY more than I think we should have, looking back!! ;) I still think $3500 is crazy, esp since it isn't a wedding but an informal, private vow-renewal... I certainly don't need my clothes steamed (no tuxes or fancy dress), we don't want a reception... a cake would be nice, but I'd be happy with a handful of island flowers... and I guess I don't need an officiant, now that I've read others' posts and thought about it. :thumbsup2 So, maybe I'd pay for a cake and champagne, but that's about it... can't imagine $3500 unless we were having a serious party... and $25K for a wedding?? Maybe ONLY if our daughters get married in Cinderella's Castle... :rotfl:

cruisecrasher said:

That gives me hives LOL

Got married in 2005 at the WDW Wedding Pavilion at the Grand Floridian back when they had the "Intimate Wedding" package. We lived in Ohio back then, flew Southwest from Columbus to Orlando, stayed at the Caribbean Beach resort for 10 nights with Length of Stay park tickets, had the wedding which included a small reception at the GF, went on a 3-night Wonder cruise with transfers, and it was under $5000 (most of that was vacation & not wedding). My wedding dress was $250, shoes $8, DH wore black linen pants, a white dress shirt & a tie I got on the Marshalls clearance rack with shoes he already had. Did my own hair in my hotel room. Didn't get any extras. In fact, WDW only included flowers for me & DH, so my Mom made my maid of honor's bouquet. We had a maid of honor (who I let pick whatever dress she wanted, as long as it was purple), a best man (who had the matching tie & black linen pants also) & that's it. The "crowd" consisted of my folks & brother & DHs parents. That was it. There were 9 of us total. I would not have it any other way or wish I did it differently. I had friends get married in Ohio spend $25-30,000+ (not including a honeymoon) and I got married at Disney PLUS a cruise & all that other jazz for just under $5,000 - total deal.

DH & I talked about a vow renewal on a cruise, but $3500?!?!?! No way. That doesn't even include the price of the cruise!!! Those ideas that PP have listed sound terrific.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

My Wedding on Castaway Cay was amazing! However that option of doing in it in the Bahamas and getting the full day at Castaway Cay sounds pretty good too!

Officially, the weddings onboard or castaway don't have a licensed officiant. You are married BEFORE you leave the port onboard, usually in front of the walt picture by the theater (on old ships). Not a concern for the VR, but an interesting piece never the less.

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to go down in price... plenty to go up, but not down. The Disneyland ones start at $5,000. Disney world starts at $4,750. Neither of these are for a Saturday or Sunday ceremony. The cruise line is considered the "bargain" of the group.

It is definitely worth looking into something else if it meets your needs. But there is also something to be said for disney magic.

If you want to PM me, I can email you photos and tell you exactly what I did on a small budget :) It was definetly very private and personal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter