Q: Help needed on multiple part, complex question

irazabul

Mouseketeer
Complex for me at least :).

I am planning a WDW trip first week of April. I wish to purchase 5 tix thru Ticketmedia to get the discount. I then HOPE to go to WDW and pay an extra $40 or so to upgrade one of the 10 day hopper no exp. tickets to an AP. I then HOPE to sign up for the DDE to get discounts on dining while I am there.

My questions are: Is all of the above possible or will there be an issue with (1) getting the upgrade for the amount I think with a ticketmania ticket, (2) getting the DDE membership on the spot, or (3) all this taking so much time that my family will get annoyed with me for saving a couple hundred :confused3

I don't know about DDE.

On the upgrade, you will be able to upgrade, but it's possible that you'll pay more than you hope. Generally, you pay the difference between what you paid for the ticket (encoded on the ticket, so you will not get credit for full price if you didn't pay it) and what the ticket you're upgrading to costs.

I think I remember a recent post where someone suggested that it might also be that the credit you get for the ticket will be based on what the ticket broker paid Disney for it, not what you paid them for it. I don't know that for sure, but it's worth finding out before you count on the extra money.......

I do not believe that you can sign up for the DDE "on the spot". You can pick up a temporary card at EPCOT guest relations if you have signed up prior to your trip, but the card did not arrive in time.

Dont' know about the tickets.

I know for sure that you can't sign up for the DDE at the parks. It has to be in advance. If you are trying to get the AP discount on the DDE, you will have to get the AP first. Here in FL, you can get a slightly (like $7 or so) discounted AP at AAA if you are a member. If you are coming from out of state, maybe you could go to an Orlando AAA office to get the AP voucher. But, then you wouldn't have time to get the DDE. You have to have an activated AP to get the discounted DDE. Are you planning on using the AP for a resort discount also? In that case, it's worth your while to just pay full price for the AP, call and join DDE and make your AP discounted resort reservation. Then the savings will justify paying full price for your AP.
Here is the phone # for Disney Dining Experience, to join or just ask questions.
407-566-5858

Good Luck! :sunny:

With a ticket broker ticket, the upgrading to an AP will cost more than just buying the AP outright. That's because Disney will only give you credit for what the broker paid them for the ticket. This is confusing but:

1. If you buy a MYW tix from Disney and then upgrade, Disney will give you credit of what you paid for the MYW tix toward the AP. The result: you'll pay normal price for the AP.

2. If you buy a MYW tix from Ticketmania and then upgrade, Disney will give you credit of what Ticketmania paid Disney for the MYW tix toward the AP. The result: You'll pay the normal price of the AP plus Ticketmania's mark-up on the MYW ticket. You will not pay the Ticketmania price plus an "upgrade difference". :confused3

Unfortunately, short of buying into DVC or moving to Florida, there seems to be no way to get a discount on APs!

A better plan (IMO) is to do what I'm going to do. Buy one AP about six weeks before your trip. When you get the voucher, buy your DDE. (If timing is important so you can use the AP and the DDE again just under one year after first use of the AP, find out when your DDE card will expire before buying it. Don't buy it until you know it will be valid long enough. I understand they are taking about 3 weeks to arrive right now, but I can't guarantee that.)

Sorry - I wish there were a way to get discounted APs! :sad2:

Tim, who loves APs, but wishes they weren't so darned expensive! :furious:

I am not sure about the ticket problem but I know (at least as of November), you can do one of 3 things to get a DDE card.

1)Buy an ACTIVATED AP and then call DDE and apply for one.

2)Buy an "AP Voucher", wait for it in the mail and then call DDE with the number on the back of your voucher, at which point you will get your DDE card sent.

3)Get your AP at a Guest Relations when you get to Disney World. Apply at that time for your DDE card and it will take about 1/2 day (I think), maybe next day, that you can pick up your DDE card at Guest Relations at Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter