• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Q for those who do smoke...

Minnie's Pal

<font color=blue>Wants to float above Castaway Cay
Although I do not smoke, my mother-in-law does. She will be going on our cruise with us. We paid more money for a higher cat. room so she could smoke on the verandah. After reading some of the other posts on this board, she is concerned she won't be able to smoke at all and even mentioned canceling. I don't think it will be that big of deal but I told her I would get some feedback from this board.

To give a description of my mother-in-law, she is the most polite smoker I have ever known. When we visit at her house, she walks out of her own house to smoke so it doesn't bother any of us. When we are in public (dining, shopping, etc.) she always walks away from people before she will even light up. I was trying to reassure her that, especially as polite of smoker as she is, she will have no trouble finding a place to smoke that will not bother anyone but I would like to have some help convincing her. Like I said before, she understands it is rude for someone to light up right beside of someone else. But, on the flipside, as long as she is respectful of the non-smokers, it would be nice to have some reassurance that the non-smokers will be respectful to her. So I wanted hear from from some past DCL smokers and see how their experience was on board. Any trouble finding a designated area to smoke? Any feedback...

I did smoke the last time I cruised, have since quit.. :cool1: :banana: , but I was most concerned about others as is your MIL..We did have a balcony, but were surrounded with family on either side. Even at that, I kept it to a minumum and not when others were outside. Aside from that, I smoked only in designated areas near the adult pool, not near the Mickey or Goofy pool. I do think there is such a thing as respect on either side, and if one abides by the rules, and thinks of others, the same should be done to them... :goodvibes

I'm not a smoker and never have been. My husband and I know when someone in the car in traffic in front of us is smoking. I can honestly say that I was never bothered by a smoker on the cruise at all. A friend we saw on board just went over to the Cove Cafe to smoke.

As a gesture, I would suggest that you try and talk to the people on either side of your cabin. Tell them the problem and ask when it would be a good time for your mother-in-law to smoke. If that happened to me, I'd be so grateful, I wouldn't care when she smoked as long as she was considerate. And we'd be the same.

I don't think your mother-in-law should cancel the cruise just because of this issue. Really, it was not a problem for us on a seven day cruise. I don't think other than our friend going for a smoke, we even paid attention to it.

Thanks for the positive input. I am sure she will feel better about this now.

I have never been ofended by anyone on a cruise with their smoking and I hate to smell smoke. I am allergic so do not fame me.

Your mother in law sounds like a wonderful person if she is that concerned about her smoking. There are places she can smoke freely and comfortably. If you have the verandah she needs to be careful to not smoke with others are out there. If the neighbors seem to be out all the time tell her to smoke at her normal times when she would at home. While I do not smoke it is her cruise too.

This is a tough one for both smokers and non-smokers...

Our first cruise was in a Cat. 6 and we couldn't use our balcony at all for the smell of cigarette smoke. We even found cigarette butts on our balcony floor. Unfortunately, we couldn't tell where it was coming from and couldn't approach the smoker(s) about a solution to the problem. We've never booked another cabin with a balcony.

There are areas on the ship where smoking is allowed -- outside Cove Cafe (coffee bar), and at Diversions. There may be others, but as a non-smoker I don't remember them.

Good luck,

If your mom paid for a balcony she can smoke there. Smoking is allowed in certain areas, YOUR balcony is one of them.

I can't stand smoke and the only time I was bothered was on my verandah....I couldn't sit out and enjoy my verandah when the people next door were out on it smoking. Otherwise as long as they smoked in the areas outside that allowed it it was fine. I did tell a couple people that lit up near the MIckey pool that it was a no smoking area though...

mbaker said:
If your mom paid for a balcony she can smoke there. Smoking is allowed in certain areas, YOUR balcony is one of them.

::yes:: We too pay extra for verandah's for that exact reason. There are more non smoking areas then smoking ones on the ship. My neighbors were rarely outside so that wasn't an issue, matter of fact I only heard them twice.

mbaker said:

And the fact that smoking IS allowed on the verandahs is the reason many smokers do book them. The smoking areas are limited, and unless someone is a chain smoker, I quite honestly don't see why they should have to feel obligated to clear it with people next to them. The guy who was next to us was drunker than a monkey out on his verandah SINGING, and never once did he ask us if either we liked it or had any requests. Now THATS annoying :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Now, non smokers and smokers BOTH have a right to enjoy being on their verandahs, so instead of blaming the smokers for smoking where they are permitted to, or blaming the non smokers for their intolerance, the easiest solution is for Disney to do something where one side of the ships availability is smoking, and the other is non smoking. The passengers, unless they are breaking the rules, should not be made to feel as if they are committing a crime by smoking in an approved location

I am also a polite smoker ( I go outside to smoke in my own home because my DH doesn't smoke :flower: ) and didn't have any problems with the people around me or finding a spot to light up. Please don't let your mom cancel because of this! I also was horrified of being looked down upon before cruising! Personally, I feel that some people on this board over exaggerate the problems with smoking on your verandah ;)

I hope your family has fun on your cruise!

DH and I both smoked on our previous Disney cruises and never had a problem. Tell her not to worry about it and enjoy the cruise. The upside is that there is so much to do that we ended up smoking less. Hope this helps. :)

I am a non-smoker (and VERY outspoken to those who light up in non-smoking areas), but I agree with the others who say there is no reason for your MIL to worry about smoking on the verandah. That's a "Disney policy" issue, not a "neighbor" issue, so she shouldn't make it her problem (I am saying that even though I've had times where I had to go inside because my verandah was so smoky from neighbors). Other than that, she'll find plenty of areas. We just got off the Wonder, and I noticed that a high percentage of smokers go to Cadillac Lounge now, since smoking is banned in Diversions till 9 p.m. and is totally banned in Wavebands. And there's always decks 4 and most of 9 and 10. I would think most non-smokers would be respectful of smokers lighting up in allowed areas...if not, she should just ignore them.
Barb

I just have to get my 2 cents in here. I am a smoker as well. However, I call myself a "social smoker" LOL. I mostly smoke if I have a couple beers or a glass of wine or am very stressed out. I do not smoke in my home and am very polite about smoking around non-smokers. Sometimes I get rather paranoid about it personally. Smokers are getting a very bad rap in this country that is supposed to be free. BUT, I do have to say that alot of them bring it on themselves for not abiding by the rules, too.

Personally, I feel that your MIL should not worry about it if she sticks with the smoking section rules. I plan to. I am not getting a verandah room so will not know what that is like. I don't think it should make her cancel her plans. I plan on going in September and will probably have a couple smokes with my wine. However, I plan to abide by the smoking rules.

Just my two cents, please don't yell at me!!!!

The adult clubs are non-smoking (kid friendly) until 9, but there is one (On the Wonder it was called Cadillac Lounge) It was was open at 5 and smoking was allowed then, and usually while it was closed during the day my family members whom smoke were able to go in there to smoke if they choose without a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter