Q about 50's Prime Time

ChrisMouse

DIS Veteran
I think this sounds like fun, and in all our trips we've never been there.

HOWEVER, I'm nervous about the "interactions". How "intense" are they with the wait staff? My DS is very sensitive and nervous. One time my parents asked mariachis to play at our table for his birthday and he HATED it.

Will he hate this restaurant? I don't want to go if it will be too much for him.

TIA

When we went years ago, my DS is now 40 and he still rememebers when they told him to get his elbows of the table and to eat his peas, clean his plate, it is all in jest of course and can be quite entertaining but if your DS might be overly sensitive to outside comments I think I would avoid going there as he might not enjoy himself to much.

It is a fun restaurant but it depends alot on the wait staff how much interaction there is. The waiter we had got the grandkids laughing so hard because Grandpa didn't eat his vegetables, because we were all having fun he just kept it going. No desert type of jokes, elbows off the table, no talking with your mouth full, you know just fun stuff. I think if you guys are not really into it the staff will back off, however that would really ruin the experience of the restaurant.

It must be hit or miss in there. We were there earlier this month and our waiter did nothing but take our order and bring our food. That said, I would skip it if I were you, your son is after all on vacation and if this might stress him I just wouldn't bother with it.

our waiter did nothing but take our order and bring our food.

this was our experience the last time we ate there, but one trip before it was quite the opposite. Our waiter kinda picked on the adults more and the kids really got into that. I think he would be fine as long as you guys can stand the food.

If you look on Youtube people have actually posted video clips of interactions. We went a few years back and had a great server who "picked on" us. DD and DH didn't eat their vegetables so they were made to get up in the middle of the room and stand back to back, spin around, and recite the alphabet. We had a great time but if your DS is sensitive and doesn't like being center of attention this may not be the place for him. If you look at the video clips you may be able to judge for yourself since you know your son.

If you don't want the interaction, then they will back off and let you enjoy your meal. The food here is all american and pretty good. We love eating here as a family and especially if you have a larger group. It's not mean spirited, just a good time.

The 50's is a great dining option and the cast dose interact with guests quite a bit, but simple mention your DS situation before seating and the staff will be sure to back off last fall our DD was 21/2 and the waitress was aware of her shyness and took it easy on us. The PBJ shake :drinking1 is worth the trip to the resturant.:thumbsup2

Depends entirely on your server. We were there in December for DH's birthday, and Cousin Lisa took our order, brought our food, gave DH a birthday cupcake, and brought the check. That's it. However, Cousin Mike who was working the same area was as loud and boisterous and crazy as I had read the servers would be and then some. So we got to watch the hoopla, but didn't have to deal with it directly.

He might not like it. DS20 was about 16 the last time we were there.... for our last time! He wanted 2 drinks and we were on the dining plan. He told the server he wanted 2 drinks and I told her whatever he wanted was fine. I told her I had no problem paying the difference for whatever he wanted. She argued with him for like 5 minutes before I finally has to intervene and tell her "I SAID I would pay for whatever he wants... Just bring him both or bring a manager!" It wasn't in fun and it was mean-spirited and messed up the whole fun of the evening.

I've only been there once, but it was BY FAR the most intense interaction I've ever had at a restaurant. If you can't be a good sport, I think it is probably best to tell someone on entry like some other posters recommended.

We got the pretty typical treatment, DW and I had to keep our elbows off the table, but DS didn't (and a few things like that). But what I hadn't really realized I did was not eat most of my vegetables (greens?) and piled all the bones from my chicken on top of it. When the server came to pick it up, she noticed and informed the WHOLE restaurant how I hadn't eaten my vegetables. I will admit, I'm sure I was 10 shades of red. When she came back with dessert, she had put my dessert on top of my veggies and she reported that Mom had told her to make sure I ate it.

Although I was the one that got picked up (like that time at Monsters Inc), I still had a great time. And it's the restaurant we talk about the most. With many of the places at Disney (ie Whispering Canyon), you've gotta be ready to let it go and have a good time. We saw so many people that just didn't seem to "get it" and had very sour expressions.

Good luck!

Thank you all SO much for the great info.

I personally think it sounds hilarious and fun, but it probably won't be the best for DS.

Maybe in a year or two, when he gets over his sensitivity.

I really appreciate everyone's input!

Although I was the one that got picked up (like that time at Monsters Inc), I still had a great time.

Good luck!

Lol! I went with DH to Monsters in December, then took my brother and sister in January, and got picked TWICE for MI in the same day! We saw it 3 times. :rotfl:

Just wanted to agree with those that say "maybe not." We went last year. DD (then 10) can be very sensitive. We warned her about the antics, and she seemed game. Our waitress was very aware and did not tease us much, but one small statement about my DD not eating (she ordered the chicken pot pie because she normally LOVES it--but she did NOT like this one), and my DD was on the verge of tears. Put her in a moody-mood all afternoon...

It must be hit or miss in there. We were there earlier this month and our waiter did nothing but take our order and bring our food. That said, I would skip it if I were you, your son is after all on vacation and if this might stress him I just wouldn't bother with it.

My experience also. However, I had "grandma's chicken pot pie", and when I told the server, "tell Grandma that I really like her chicken pot pie", then he gave me a big smile and talked a little about "Grandma". But there were no antics.

We all loved it! DD6 was kinda quiet & the server, instead of picking on her, said she was his favorite at our table & could do whatever she wanted. She enjoyed being able to put her elbows on the table, her feet up under her on "grandma's good furniture", & not eat her veggies, while her two older sisters got "in trouble" for not following the rules.

We went twice this past year and had 2 totally different experiences. Our first server did nothing other than call us "kids" and tell us "elbows off the table." The second time we had Cousin Donna and she was really into it. DH and DS loved it and were in trouble all the time. I'm much shyer and don't like so much attention so I found it a little embarrassing. We really do enjoy the food here so I agree with a PP, if you mention to the hostess that you guys are not into the shtick I think you will be spared.

We went for lunch a few years ago and all had a good time. We were all equally picked on, but probably DH the most as he purposely put his elbows on the table and got ketchup put on the table in front of him. DD now 16, got an Ariel bib since she was dribbling. I had to eat all of the veggies in my potpie. My other DD now 13, was the "princess" of the table and didn't really get picked on. We are going back in June for diner and my parentr will be joining us. I am hoping it will be fun for everyone. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter