Putting Studios Ghibli anime movie rides in Disney Hollywood

old lady

DIS Veteran
Since Disney distributed the movies, wouldn't it be fair if they made Anime style rides or rides like Tokyo Disney in the park.

Since Disney distributed the movies, wouldn't it be fair if they made Anime style rides or rides like Tokyo Disney in the park.
What the heck are you talking about? Tokyo disney has many of the same rides seen at all the other disney parks. It's also said the Tokyo disney is run much better than WDW. Distributing a movie means nothing to disney in terms of what would come to the parks. Disney also does not own Tokyo disney they have really no say in what they do.

A great ride could be made from Kiki's Delivery Service or My Neighbor Totoro! Not sure it will ever happen, but it is an interesting idea.

^^^^ What she said. I have a colleague who is obsessed with the Studio Ghibli stuff. I just don't get it. I don't think it would be a good fit for WDW. Way too different from the rest of the IP. Then again, Star Wars and Avatar really don't fit the traditional mold either. If I were them, I would have put all the non-traditional IP over at HS and left Animal Kingdom pretty much as it is, or added IP that fits better than Avatar.

^^^^ What she said. I have a colleague who is obsessed with the Studio Ghibli stuff. I just don't get it. I don't think it would be a good fit for WDW. Way too different from the rest of the IP. Then again, Star Wars and Avatar really don't fit the traditional mold either. If I were them, I would have put all the non-traditional IP over at HS and left Animal Kingdom pretty much as it is, or added IP that fits better than Avatar.
I have never heard o this stuff, it would never be popular at WDW. She's very vague in what she means because she also mentions Tokyo and I just don't know what the question is.

I have never heard o this stuff, it would never be popular at WDW. She's very vague in what she means because she also mentions Tokyo and I just don't know what the question is.

Déjà vu, really...

Firstly, Ghibli IPs are technically Japanese animation, but I'm unsure if they really fall under the umbrella of total weaboo otaku 'anime' that's beloved here in the US. Ghibli films are more like incredibly deep animated legends--and MUCH too niche to have a widespread appeal as a theme park IP in EITHER the US or Tokyo.

As for standard stereotypical anime, there's no freaking way. You want to see anime IPs in Orlando, you're gonna have to go to Megacon. And it's already widespread in Japan to the point where Disney wouldn't be able to bring anything new or different to the table there.

Finally, going for the suggestion of rides from Tokyo in the US parks...half to 3/4 of them are US park ride clones. The rest are financially impossible due to the fact that TDL and TDS are owned/funded by Oriental Land and not Disney. The reason why the Asian parks are getting decent ride expansions is because they're not doing them on Disney's dime, really.

Anyway...
29b.jpg

I guess I still don't understand why only some Japanese animation qualifies for the anime title even though it's still technically just Japanese animation. It's like how we call both the last air bender and spongeBob cartoons even though they're on very different cognitive levels. I haven't been into anime/manga in years but I guess not much has changed haha.

That said I totally agree ghibli stuff wouldn't really hit hard in the US... As evident by the fact that only one of their films even became mildly popular outside of the rabid ghibli fandom recently.

My favorite is princess mononoke and I know that would never be made into a ride. Though maybe it'd fit with all the conservation avatar stuff in AK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter