Putting a pet to sleep and kids being present?

Oh geez, I really need a tissue.
But definitely another vote for no here. When I was 15 we had to put our 16 year old dog to sleep, and I still cry thinking about it today. She had been sick for a long time, she was barely able to walk at the end, but one day when my mom was walking her she started pulling my mom as hard as she could towards the woods. My mom took that as a sign that it was time, and I went with her to the vet. My mom went in with her but I stayed in the waiting room, there was no way I could handle it. I don't think I could handle it now either. Definitely give your kids the chance to say goodbye, but I don't think it is something they should witness first hand.

:( :( :( I have had several pets that have had to be put to sleep. Some because of old age and suffering, and others because of sickness. Some were cats and some were dogs. I can't express enough that this is NOT a good idea for children,even teenagers would have a very hard time dealing with this. This dog I am sure is a big part of you FAMILY. It has always been very painful for me and even as I am typing I have tears welling up in my eyes thinking of my "BABIES".

The first time I witnessed a dog that had been put to sleep, I was at the Vets office with my dog. He was there because he had to be neutered. While I was there, after his surgery, they allowed me to go to the cages were they kept them. They had a dog in there that was by himself and was on the last stages of being put down. No one had told me this, I heard this animal gasping and heaving.......I nearly came unglued! I ran into the office and grabbed the vet, but, when I explained what had happened I understood what was going on. I just sat and cried. They animal's owners had just dropped him off, they could not watch it. I was in my early twenties and I still can't get that feeling out of my head.

I have witnessed my animal's deaths and I can say it is harder when it is your own. The other posts are right about the noises and sometimes they will have waste come out. I know that this is not pretty......and by no means am I trying to upset anyone. I just want you to realize the depth of this situation.

My advice, is to have you children say their goodbyes at your home! Let them love and hug your dog for as long as they can, but, you or your husband should take it to the vet. I get very attached to my animals and I want to be there for the end, but, I am torn up for days afterward and I still grieve even now.

Just think about it long and hard. Children really do not grasp the concept and emotionally I do not think my child could handle such a tramatic thing.

My hugs go out to your family. Just know that you are doing what is best for the animal, what is humane and less painful.:( :( :(

I'm not sure if you, yourself, have actually seen a death occur, particularly of a euthenized animal. It is not a pretty sight at all. They don't just lay down quietly and close their eyes. Some times the animals go into convulsions. Sometimes they spontaneously urinate or deficate. Sometimes they have muscle spasms. Sometimes they begin to become franetic and hyperactive, fighting to break free from their restraints. Sometimes they begin to bleed from their orafaces.

I am a father of 2 wonderful girls, close to the ages of your children, and I would NEVER even consider such a possibility...

:duck:

Originally posted by Captain Blue Sky
I'm not sure if you, yourself, have actually seen a death occur, particularly of a euthenized animal. It is not a pretty sight at all. They don't just lay down quietly and close their eyes. Some times the animals go into convulsions. Sometimes they spontaneously urinate or deficate. Sometimes they have muscle spasms. Sometimes they begin to become franetic and hyperactive, fighting to break free from their restraints. Sometimes they begin to bleed from their orafaces.

I am a father of 2 wonderful girls, close to the ages of your children, and I would NEVER even consider such a possibility...

:duck:

While all those thing could happen, they do not always happen. When I had my cat put down, he really did just go to sleep.

The Vet I went to was wonderful. She explained everything before hand. There was no struggle, no body events. It was very tranquil.

As someone who had seen numerous humans die during my nursing career, I can say that death is never pretty but it can be peaceful. That goes for both people and animals.

Roberta

OkieDisney, I'm so sorry you're having to put your sweet pet to sleep. I can't imagine how hard it must be, but I don't think I'd let my kids be present.

I'm 28, and my first pet, my sweet Sheltie, is 8 years old. I'm dreading the day we have to face this with her, but it will come sooner or later, I know.

Hugs to all, Steph

Having 2 dogs put to sleep in the past year and being with them both, I as an adult found it very hard but I was glad to be there. The dr gave 2 injections and it was over. No pain, no noise. Their eyes do remain open. Saying that, I would say I don't think there is a reason for your children to be there. Have them say goodbye before hand.

We put our dog to sleep in August. My daughter, then 7, was there and held her as she went to sleep. I didn't plan for her to be there...it kind of just happened that way. I think it was the best thing for all of us. It was very peaceful, no noises, she just went to sleep. She had no questions, she witness how peaceful it was... it was the best thing for her, for all of us. Our dog was a 9 yr old lab and around 65lbs. When in the office she was laying on the floor with her head in DDs lap. Dd wanted to be there, we didn't know going in that she would be put to sleep but after discussing what could be done we all decided it was for the best. The vet gave her a shot so she would sleep. Dd just sat there and petted her, talked to her. They then came in and gave her another shot after about 10 mins...there was no change in her activity other than she passed on...stopped breathing. DD held her, kissed her and said her goodbyes...she was stronger than I could have been. I encourage you to look at this as a learning experience for children...you will be surprised at how strong they can be! I'm sorry for your loss..I still cry when I think about it.

I vote for No. I had to put my beloved Greyhound to sleep in May. I was a mess for days and I am an adult and understood exactly what I wad getitng into when I stayed in that room. It was one of the hardest things in my life I have ever had to deal with. And it still bothers me today.

Just one other thought...My vet actually had a children's book about it and stated while it was our decision he thought it was important for children to be there. And as I said she handled it much better than I did! As an adult you have preconcieved notices of death and dying...children don't and overall handle it better! She was amazing, not tramatized at all.

As an adult you have preconcieved notices of death and dying...children don't and overall handle it better! She was amazing, not tramatized at all.
ITA
I think too, because we are ultimately the ones who make the decision to put them to sleep, that part of our pain as adults is guilt (no matter how misplaced it is). Now out 15 DS OTOH couldn't even go to the vet with us, because he was old enough to have some of the misplaced feelings of guilt. We as adults also tend to think "what if" (ie what if we took them in sooner, what if I walked them more, what if I made sure they ate better etc)where a child doesn't.

I wanted to add that it also really depends on the condition of the pet before putting them to sleep. Our Sandy had been very sick for several days. she had defecating/urinating on herself for days, so it would not have been a surprise to DD if she had done so. However Sandy was severely dehydrated when we took her in and she did not urinate or defecate after then shot. She did make a couple of noises and jerked a bit well after the shot(and after her heart had stopped), but by then DD was out of the room. Her eyes did remain open, but the vet closed them as soon as her heart stopped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter