• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Put your child on your lap.....

Everyone in our world will have different views on this. I will say that I was brought up to be compassionate and caring for others. *If I am able to stand and allow a mother holding a young child or an elderly person to have my seat, I will do so. When my kids were little, they did sit on my lap to allow an open seat for someone.

Come on folks....... this ME, ME, ME attitude gets old very fast. Think of others, it's the right thing to do!

Duds

I will stand so my kids can sit - rather then put them on my lap so please don't judge or assume the worst if you see us.

I will/ have often/ do wait for the next bus if we don't feel like we can all stand if necessary.

I aslo budget cab fare for late nights or times when we feel we just can't stand on a bus. ...

If you don't feel like you can stand on a bus please wait for the next bus, drive or take a cab ! It really (really!) is your choice :)

Everyone in our world will have different views on this. I will say that I was brought up to be compassionate and caring for others. *If I am able to stand and allow a mother holding a young child or an elderly person to have my seat, I will do so. When my kids were little, they did sit on my lap to allow an open seat for someone.

Come on folks....... this ME, ME, ME attitude gets old very fast. Think of others, it's the right thing to do!

Duds

The problem is those who think they can judge that someone else is able to stand just by looking at them.

As far as having a child on the lap, I know that I have had several abdominal surgeries and it would be very painful to have a 15, 20, 30 pound child sitting on my lap for any period of time. Sadly, my children haven't been little for a long time.

Everyone has options. Get on a crowded bus and stand, or wait for the next bus and be first in line to get a seat (then deal with the dirty looks you get from those who came after you and feel you don't really need that seat).

My thing with the bus seating is this: if I am PAYING for my kid to have a ticket to go to the park, she gets EVERYTHING that a paying customer should have, including a seat of her own on the bus. However, before she turned 3, she was ALWAYS on my lap in the bus. But, lordy, once she turned 3, she had her own seat.

Duds

But doesn't the person who "needs" a seat yet gets on a SRO bus also have a "ME, ME, ME attitude"? Since they seem to expect someone to get up for them? Where does the personal responsibility come in?

When it comes to the buses, my thoughts are:

1) Don't judge those who stay in their seats as you know nothing about them.

2) Take personal responsibility if you "need" a seat and wait for the next bus or have your own transportation (car or cab for example).

I am one who will stand so a child can sit . I figure I am more stable on a moving bus then a child . With that being said I remember being with friends on a bus and begging a grown man to stand so my friend and her 7 mo old baby could sit . He said " Nope I am tired and I am sitting" I then watched EVERYONE within ear shot GLARE at him till he got up and moved to stand at the front of the bus .

I always get up for the elderly , a mommy with a small child . Now I am not getting up for a 14 yr old to have a seat cause I aint no spring chicken LOL

I agree it also drives me bat **** crazy to see an under 4 in their own seat on an over crowded bus. I realize that you are hot tired and achey but I would happily sit with that hot sweaty little person in lap than to stand for 25 min.

The wort is when I see some idiot with an umbrella stroller in an empty seat. Sadly, I've seen that more than once at the end of the night.

People do what they do...

I've been on buses when I was 6 months pregnant and nobody offered me a seat. I've been on buses with two sleeping kids to hang onto and nobody offered me a seat. I've also been on buses where people pull their little ones onto their lap so I can sit. I've seen sweet people and not so sweet people. I don't let it ruin my trip. Just be as polite as you can be. That's all you can do.

But doesn't the person who "needs" a seat yet gets on a SRO bus also have a "ME, ME, ME attitude"? Since they seem to expect someone to get up for them? Where does the personal responsibility come in?

When it comes to the buses, my thoughts are:

1) Don't judge those who stay in their seats as you know nothing about them.

2) Take personal responsibility if you "need" a seat and wait for the next bus or have your own transportation (car or cab for example).

You took the words right out of my mouth. The "ME, ME, ME attitude" works both ways. So does personal responsibility. And being considerate of the needs of others.

If I step onto a SRO bus, I have no way of knowing which people are less capable of standing than I am and which one's aren't. If I really do need a seat then I'll wait for the next bus. If I'm just feeling too lazy to stand, then I'll wait for the next bus. Under no circumstances will I get on a bus and expect someone else to give me their seat. Why should a stranger take responsibility for my comfort If I'm not willing to do it for myself?

Just another reason why I always rent a car. Everyone gets their own seat at the end of a long hot day. I have had so many bus issues over the years I just gave up on them.

Posted from Disboards.com App for Android

You took the words right out of my mouth. The "ME, ME, ME attitude" works both ways. So does personal responsibility. And being considerate of the needs of others.

If I step onto a SRO bus, I have no way of knowing which people are less capable of standing than I am and which one's aren't. If I really do need a seat then I'll wait for the next bus. If I'm just feeling too lazy to stand, then I'll wait for the next bus. Under no circumstances will I get on a bus and expect someone else to give me their seat. Why should a stranger take responsibility for my comfort If I'm not willing to do it for myself?

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

As far as the whole child in a seat not on a lap goes, no, it doesn't make me crazy to see that. I do think that people are missing out on the perfect chance to get an extra snuggle in with their kiddies. Heck, I had my 16yr old niece on my lap during our last trip. She just plunked down onto me, and I knew it was a golden opportunity to get in an extra long hug.:cutie:

I am one who will stand so a child can sit . I figure I am more stable on a moving bus then a child . With that being said I remember being with friends on a bus and begging a grown man to stand so my friend and her 7 mo old baby could sit . He said " Nope I am tired and I am sitting" I then watched EVERYONE within ear shot GLARE at him till he got up and moved to stand at the front of the bus .

See, to me, THAT is rude... on your part. Why does a grown man HAVE to stand? Why did you and your friends get on a SRO bus if they needed a seat? Why should anyone have to explain WHY they are not standing to you?

Calling someone out is even ruder then someone not giving up their seat. Then for everyone else to glare and guilt him into standing? Poor guy!

Last Feb was our first onsite trip and first time dealing with the buses. DH and I rarely took a seat even if we were first on line. The buses were so crowded it was easier to walk to the back and stand by the stairwell. My kids took a seat if there was one available. (they were 10 and 12)

Halfway through the trip, my dh asked "why didn't we rent a car???" and I said "we are on site...this is part of the magic!:rolleyes1"

I always get up for the elderly, a mommy with a small child.

I will, generally, do this as well. I would prefer to see children in a seat, though. I've seen too many flying off their parents laps or slipping off the pole. It just isn't safe if they are not seated. I don't presume somebody is rude because they are seated. You will just get agitated if you go down that road. I have Meniere's - balance issue and you can't see it, but sometimes I have to sit when I otherwise look healthy/normal...HOWEVER, I still would always give my seat to a pregnant lady or elderly person, regardless. I just hold on stronger to the pole!

Many ailments you cannot see in a "seated" person, hypoglycemia, arthritis, fibromyalgia, feet ailments, migraines, autism, etc., so it's easier to not assume and save yourself some grief. Tired children should be seated for safety sake. If you are able to give up your seat and do, kudos...chivalry isn't dead. However, if you want a seat, take one. This topic will never die, so I guess it's all in how one chooses to deal with it for themselves.

LilyWDW said:
Calling someone out is even ruder then someone not giving up their seat. Then for everyone else to glare and guilt him into standing? Poor guy!

Wanna add something to it. What if he had an invisible disability that made it hard for him to stand?

Wanna add something to it. What if he had an invisible disability that made it hard for him to stand?

I usually think the whole "hidden disability" thing gets thrown around too much, but this is on case where it's justified. There are a lot of invisible medical conditions that would make it very hard to stand on a moving bus. There is simply no way of knowing who is capable of standing and who isn't.

Just a few thoughts.

My DH and I are healthy adults and will always offer to give up our seats for others. We just think its the right thing to do. My DH even did it for years after he broke his knee but before his knee replacement and was in some level of pain when standing.

I don't thnk that waiting for the next bus really is an option for those who truly have issues standing. It seems like sitting on any bench at a bus stop will almost certainly guarantee that you will be last on the bus. So those most likely to need a seat are least likely to be first on the bus. --Suzanne

I always get up for the elderly , a mommy with a small child . Now I am not getting up for a 14 yr old to have a seat cause I aint no spring chicken LOL

See, to me, THAT is rude... on your part. Why does a grown man HAVE to stand? Why did you and your friends get on a SRO bus if they needed a seat? Why should anyone have to explain WHY they are not standing to you?

I have a question, too: why that one man? Was that the only seat on the bus? Was each other seated passenger elderly or a small child or a pregnant woman or a parent holding an infant?

Or was he targeted based solely on the proximity of his seat to where you happened to end up standing

The sooner folks lay to rest and bury their expectations of other people, especially people they do not know, they happier they will be.

It is utter arrogance to assume that your needs supersede the needs of someone else and expect them to make your problem their problem.

kaytieeldr said:
I have a question, too: why that one man? Was that the only seat on the bus? Was each other seated passenger elderly or a small child or a pregnant woman or a parent holding an infant?

Or was he targeted based solely on the proximity of his seat to where you happened to end up standing

Well said.

I am a woman. If we want equal treatment we need to treat equally and not assume men should cater to us because we are the 'weaker sex'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter