Pushing towing capacity limit

tltay2005

DIS Veteran
The towing capacity of my 2015 Nissan Rouge is only 1000 pounds. Bought a golf cart with intentions of pulling it with my car, then I realized the capacity was so low. The cart and trailer will be about 1300 pounds. We only live 40 minutes from the Fort. Any comments on if this is ok or not. DH will be towing TT and has large tool box in truck, so cart can not go into bed of truck.

It is never a good idea to exceed the towing capacity of your vehicle. It could cause premature wear to your engine, brakes. At worst could cause brake failure. I know people will say hey I have towed over my limit, but it is a bad idea. If something happened and you had a fender bender while towing, your insurance would most likely not cover it either. Just not a good idea. Sorry to be a bummer on that.

tltay2005,

I would not tow something that I knew that I was CLEARLY underpowered to pull and out of specs.

Like PaHunter said, your insurance company would have a reason not to cover you. God forbid should something happen en route, some sort of accident, you would be completely liable. It wouldn't be a "gray area", a "close call", or a "borderline situation". It's clearly over the limit.

I read contracts as a part of my job and the liability sections are very clear. I bet your insurance company's liability language is boilerplate clear in their favor.

Need to look at a Plan B.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
I would play it safe as stated above and not do it. Since you live so close I would drop the TT and go pick up the golf cart with your truck, sounds like a hassle but better to be safe.

I'm with everyone else here and I have towed right up to the limit many times. My wife has a 2014 Rogue. I know the 2015 was "redesigned", but the drive train is mostly the same. I wouldn't do it in her Rogue. The CVT transmission REALLY doesn't like towing.

Sorry.

j

I agree with all who have responded. There is a reason towing capacities are stated, first and foremost is for the safety of the driver and any passengers you may have.

Thanks for all the input. I think we have decided on two trips. Would rather drop off the cart first, so we can do it earlier and be back with the TT at check in time. Does anyone know if it is ok to drop off the trailer with cart in the overflow lot?

I saw plenty of trailers. I bet it would be okay.

First thing to consider would be the fact if you are in an accident because you are exceeding your vehicles limits you will automatically be at fault.
next let's just say for some reason you got stoped and it was a guy who normally works dot and he finds you over weight for your vehicle you will get a fine and have to drop the trailer on the spot and hope he doesn't have it towed

I think you are ok to drop of the trailer as long as it's on the day you are checking in even if it's before your site is ready. They have been pretty strict about using the OverFlow lot area because it actually does get pretty full.

1) We have seen people who are over their tow capacity, and have a SHORT way to drive.
2) They made it by driving UNDER the speed limit.
3) Definitely not advised.
4) Even if you make it safely, it can hurt your car - frame and transmission.
5) Why not just rent a RAM pickup a truck from Enterprise for each day of towing (To and From)?

Even though some may have towed over their capacity (slow or not) it's still illegal and dangerous. As TheRustyScupper also points out you can do some real damage to your vehicle as well.

Not going to risk damaging my new car. Have three choices: take tool box out of truck and load cart in bed (depends if we can tow TT with tailgate down), make two trips, or have son pull the cart trailer with his Jeep. Thanks for all the replies.

Not going to risk damaging my new car... (depends if we can tow TT with tailgate down),
I'm with you on tearing up a new car. Not worth it if you have options.

I'm not sure what kind of truck you have, but on all of my Ford trucks, the tail gate lifts off easily. Unclip the cables, lift it off. Takes 30 seconds. Or do you need the tail gate length to fit the cart?

All of the tag trailers I've owned, the crank for the jack is in the way of the tail gate.

j

Teamubr, need the tail gait to support the cart (has back seat and foot rest). We have a Nissan Titan.

Teamubr, need the tail gait to support the cart (has back seat and foot rest). We have a Nissan Titan.
That's what I was afraid of.

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan to get it there with either 2 trips or 2 cars. Not ideal, but better than the alternatives.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter