Pure Michigan commercials

I'm in Ontario (Canada) and hear these all the time on the radio (I don't have cable). They are so soothing! lol

LOL-I had NO CLUE that was his voice!

I had no idea either! LOL I'm going to really have to listen next time.

We are Illinois residents currently, Michigan born and bred until 5 years ago. It was a difficult decision t move out of state, but necessary. I'll tell you....the Pure Michigan commercials are on the TV all the time here in IL, and for the first year or two when we were all missing "home", I couldn't get through one without crying my eyes out. Since I lived in MI for 35 years, I've pretty much either been to, or am familiar with, everything in those commercials. Talk about being homesick! And to think that when I lived in MI, I always wondered why anyone would want to visit LOL The commercials make it looks so good. And now I know that it is true - Michigan is amazing :)

I had no idea either! LOL I'm going to really have to listen next time.

We are Illinois residents currently, Michigan born and bred until 5 years ago. It was a difficult decision t move out of state, but necessary. I'll tell you....the Pure Michigan commercials are on the TV all the time here in IL, and for the first year or two when we were all missing "home", I couldn't get through one without crying my eyes out. Since I lived in MI for 35 years, I've pretty much either been to, or am familiar with, everything in those commercials. Talk about being homesick! And to think that when I lived in MI, I always wondered why anyone would want to visit LOL The commercials make it looks so good. And now I know that it is true - Michigan is amazing :)

I think unless you live in an obvious tourist destination, we often fail to appreciate what our own home states have to offer visitors (especially as life-long residents). As much as I love MO I often wonder why someone would choose to come here on purpose for vacation. Probably the same reason I choose to visit their home states :)

I love the Pure Michigan ads. They remind me of the amazing things we have to do right here in our state. Plus they just capture the beauty so well.

We went through a phase this winter where we saw a ton of kind of annoying Ohio ads. Yeah, sorry, in winter, I'm headed somewhere warmer than Ohio. :rolleyes:

I love the Pure Michigan ads. They remind me of the amazing things we have to do right here in our state. Plus they just capture the beauty so well.

We went through a phase this winter where we saw a ton of kind of annoying Ohio ads. Yeah, sorry, in winter, I'm headed somewhere warmer than Ohio. :rolleyes:
Ha yes- in Ithaca, NY, the tourism center was criticized in February for saying "we give up- try Florida".

Me, I don't see anything wrong with saying winter isn't our strong suit :) Except for those weirdos who like to ski etc (I'm kidding!).

Having grown up in Flint, MI - some of them are quite comical. And a huge stretch haha. I mean, it does have a rockin Farmer's Market, but not cool enough to draw people from all over.

It was a genius marketing strategy, but after hearing them for years they bore me. Over, and over, and over.

Dh has the weather channel on a lot in the AM and boy, we see a LOT of these commercials
They are so beautiful and music wonderful-it kinda makes me want to visit-BUT it is really far away

There are also some cool ones from California-featuring real people and a few Stars

But the odd thing we keep thinking is NO OTHER state has a "Visit Our State set of commercials!
Does anyone else see any?

We USED to see lots for Florida (now its WDW or Universal only )
I can still remember the old Florida state commercial song....
"When you have it bad, we have it good....come to FLORIDA!!!

We've seen them for California quite often. Also, there's some for moving to South Dakota---those are a bit....weird.

I love the Pure Michigan commercials! I grew up in Michigan but I've lived in New Orleans for years due to the Navy. The campaign really shows all the great outdoor activities to do in Michigan. When I see the commercials I get proud and show my husband what he missed out on by gowning up in the south ;)

I miss seasons, clean freshwater rivers and lakes and temperate nights. The temperature never drops at night here. It gets miserable.

pothole262way-c29b34a827860e24330fb9c20b9987783e960427-s800-c85.jpg

Truck eating potholes. Pure Michigan.

I don't have TV anymore, but I was watching something at my boyfriend's house this weekend and the Pure Michigan commercials were non-stop. I was wondering if they were being broadcast nationwide since we live in Michigan, I guess they are!

Honestly, I find it funny people spend money to come here, but it really is beautiful here. I truly take it for granted. I live a mile away from Lake Superior. We have the most gorgeous summers ever and the most colorful falls. Yes, we have the snowiest winters on record, but you have to have a trade-off.

I don't have TV anymore, but I was watching something at my boyfriend's house this weekend and the Pure Michigan commercials were non-stop. I was wondering if they were being broadcast nationwide since we live in Michigan, I guess they are!

Honestly, I find it funny people spend money to come here, but it really is beautiful here. I truly take it for granted. I live a mile away from Lake Superior. We have the most gorgeous summers ever and the most colorful falls. Yes, we have the snowiest winters on record, but you have to have a trade-off.
For people who don't live near either coast, why *wouldn't* people spend money to visit the Great Lakes? I live near the "small" one (Lake Ontario) and it's beautiful to visit. No one will confuse it for the ocean, but it has its own appeal.

Travel Nevada has variations on this ad, with the theme Don't Fence Me In featuring the Las Vegas band The Killers:

Most people who think of Nevada think of gambling, but there's lots of outdoor activities including skiing. Last year we went during winter and I took my 4 year old sledding for the first time, but we had choices including across the California border. The main driver for me was that there was a "Sno Park" parking charge at the prime sites in California, but Nevada didn't. I found a good spot near a Forest Service parking lot near Mount Rose. The summer version show dude ranches, kayaking, waterskiing on Lake Mead, driving through desert highways, land sailing, gambling (it is Nevada), zip lining, hiking in slot canyons, native dances, etc.

This is their extended summer version:

I love the Pure Michigan ads. I am on vacation in Traverse City, Michigan as we speak. Sitting on the balcony looking at beautiful Grand Traverse Bay! It is sunny and warming up a little more each day.
I am living a Pure Michigan commercial and loving every minute of it.

Love the Michigan commercials (and I live here!!)
I have also seen some for Illinois and Indiana recently as well.

The Pure Michigan radio commercials are so boring. When I hear them I think "Michigan : Come Take a Nap Here"

The Pure Michigan radio commercials are so boring. When I hear them I think "Michigan : Come Take a Nap Here"

That's what I used to think, too, until I move 15 miles west of Chicago and realized that the constant fast-paced craziness, traffic, and gazillion people everywhere in Chicago and it's suburbs causes me to NEED a nap LOL I grew up in the Northwest corner of Detroit and even Detroit is nowhere close to the frantic pace of Chicago.

"You don't know what you got till it's gone...."

Last edited:
It's the way Tim Allen speaks in the commercials...slowly and in a monotone voice. It just doesn't inspire me to want to go there. We're only about 70 miles from Michigan so those commercials play constantly on our radio stations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter