• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Purchasing tickets/annual pass

jfoofj

DIS Veteran
SO, it looks as though we may be going back to Florida in November for Thanksgiving to visit my MIL who lives in the Keys and it looks like we will be flying into Orlando the weekend before Thanksgiving and spending 3 nights at Universal again before we rent a car and start the trek over the river and through the woods.... er... everglades... to Grandma's house. Along with the fact that our upcoming trip gives up 5 full days to explore the parks, I am going to purchase annual passes for the family, it just makes the most sense.

I am trying to figure out the type of passes we need and the most cost effective way to purchase them... so far I'm thinking that I will get 3 power passes (the dates we will be in FL are not in the black out time frames) and one preferred pass, to get the added perks of the preferred pass. I've called the hotel we are staying at a couple of times to see if an AP rate trumps our current SMSM rate, and so far the SMSM rate is our best bet. I unfortunately did not get a 40% off code email... maybe I will for our November stay :goodvibes.

I did notice that the Universal website gives you the option of Flex pay for the preferred pass, but not the power pass. I'm curious as to why that is? While I do have the money to buy all the passes up front, I am considering doing the flex pay if I can just to keep my pre-vacation costs to a minimum, and it there is no interest charged so why not?

Also, is there anyplace other than the Universal website to buy tickets at a discount? I know there was one I used for Disney tickets... and it was a savings... there was a code in a newsletter or something. Not sure if there is similar for Universal tix.

TIA

TIA

I did notice that the Universal website gives you the option of Flex pay for the preferred pass, but not the power pass. I'm curious as to why that is? While I do have the money to buy all the passes up front, I am considering doing the flex pay if I can just to keep my pre-vacation costs to a minimum, and it there is no interest charged so why not?

Also, is there anyplace other than the Universal website to buy tickets at a discount? I know there was one I used for Disney tickets... and it was a savings... there was a code in a newsletter or something. Not sure if there is similar for Universal tix.
Flexpay is not offered on the Power Pass because of the price point and the PP is the basic annual pass...no frills. You are very wise to purchase one Preferred AP to take advantage of the theme park and hotel discounts. As mentioned, Undercover Tourist is a highly recommended site for tickets. You'll have to do the math to see which would be a better deal for you.

I did not see the Annual Passes on Undercover Tourists site. I just bit the bullet and ordered one Preferred Pass and three Power Passes off Universal's website. Pretty exciting... other than the sticker shock. Airfare booked and paid for, hotel room book and mostly paid for (I've been paying a little each week using the credit card authoriztion form so I don't have a huge bill at the end of vacation), and now park passes bought and paid for. Now I just have to decied with "extras" to do... Blue Man Group is for sure, the luau, Cinematic Spectacular and a Character breakfast are all under consideration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter