• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Purchasing re-sale thru Disney

disneyfanbcv

Mouseketeer
I am really thinking about purchasing a new contract "re-sale" I will use the points obviously only at the resorts and save my originals for the travels. NOw I called DVC yesterday they are selling re-sale points for OKW at 100.00 a point. If I go through the timeshare store or anyother they are 57.00 a point or so. Can someone make sence of this for me. Why would I go through DVC for so much more? :confused3

I am really thinking about purchasing a new contract "re-sale" I will use the points obviously only at the resorts and save my originals for the travels. NOw I called DVC yesterday they are selling re-sale points for OKW at 100.00 a point. If I go through the timeshare store or anyother they are 57.00 a point or so. Can someone make sence of this for me. Why would I go through DVC for so much more? :confused3

Disney doesn't sell "resale" contracts, they sell direct contracts for sold-out resorts.

This is not the first time someone has reported Disney trying to use the term "resale" (basically to confuse buyers into buying direct).

Actual resale contracts (which are typically priced 40 to 50 percent less than direct) have some restrictions. You can't use your points for cruises or the Disney collection. But those options take huge numbers of points and are typically thought to be poor values for your points.

According to my research, the only other two reasons to buy direct is if you want to finance and don't have the option to do a home equity loan or prefer Disney's finance rates over what you're able to get elsewhere.

The only other reason I could see wanting to buy direct (other than what was mentioned above) is that, I'm assuming, you'd be able to make your reservations immediately rather than waiting about 2+ months for closing of a resale contract with an outside broker.

Not buying direct through Disney may also mean that someday you may only be able to stay at your home resort. Disney, at any time, can stop allowing original owners to use other resorts, or member perks. This was the main reason why I bought directly through Disney. If you purchase from someone else, you have no recourse when things change and your points will not be worth much at all at that point.

Not buying direct through Disney may also mean that someday you may only be able to stay at your home resort. Disney, at any time, can stop allowing original owners to use other resorts, or member perks. This was the main reason why I bought directly through Disney. If you purchase from someone else, you have no recourse when things change and your points will not be worth much at all at that point.

not correct. disney can take perks away from both direct buyers and resale buyers.

some people think when DVC took away the option to trade resale pts for cruises and wdw hotels that hurt resale values. guess what? your resale value takes that hit whether you bought direct or resale. buying direct just means you paid a higher price and the value has farther to fall...

For many reasons which have been stated here, the restriction of not being allowed to stay at non-home DVC resorts is extremely unlikely to happen, direct or non-direct. Even if it did (unlikely), according to paperwork received at purchase, the only right guaranteed is staying at the home resort, no matter how you purchased.

Perks can come and go regardless if you bought direct or non-direct, and one should not make the decision to buy (let alone buy at 100%+ additional cost) on any perks which might not be available in the future.

What recourse does *anyone* have, even when buying direct, when "things change"?

For many reasons which have been stated here, the restriction of not being allowed to stay at non-home DVC resorts is extremely unlikely to happen, direct or non-direct. Even if it did (unlikely), according to paperwork received at purchase, the only right guaranteed is staying at the home resort, no matter how you purchased.

Perks can come and go regardless if you bought direct or non-direct, and one should not make the decision to buy (let alone buy at 100%+ additional cost) on any perks which might not be available in the future.

What recourse does *anyone* have, even when buying direct, when "things change"?

Exactly. I have seen this posted before about confusion of "perks". The only thing GUARANTEED is the ability to use points at your home resort. It does not matter how you bought your points. Disney changed the terms for resale buyers about 2 years ago, but anyone who bought resale BEFORE this change, were not restricted by the change. It was not retroactive, it only applied to future resale purchases. So chances are, if more chances come, it will be for resale buyers from that point on. We but an offer in early January, and our contract closed and then had points in the system by early March. If we had bought direct our points were available instantly. For the savings and something I'm going to own for 40 years, I think waiting 2 months was not a big deal.

Don't buy direct or resale out of "fears" buy because it's what's best for you and your needs. For us, using the adventure collection or cruises was just not something we will ever use points for. So resale was a no brainer.

Another reason for buying direct is if you are buying at a new resort. For example, when we bought, we knew we wanted BLT. The resort was not even finished yet, so there were no resales available. Although at that time, the economy had tanked and there was not as big a price difference between direct and resale.

Another reason for buying direct is if you are buying at a new resort. For example, when we bought, we knew we wanted BLT. The resort was not even finished yet, so there were no resales available. Although at that time, the economy had tanked and there was not as big a price difference between direct and resale.

This was another reason we purchased direct. It was difficult to find a lender in 2009 to help us purchase a timeshare. We bought AKV direct at $93...we already had an Oct trip planned and paid for and the Guide booked our SV studios right on the phone to replace the cash reservation...I thought that was a perk at the time. The loan with Disney does not show up on your credit report which appeals to some buyers.

Immediate gratification. So far we have made 5 DVC trips with the sixth coming in Oct. All for at least 7 days. We have APs and TIW card so we feel like it was well worth our vacation dollars and it is what we enjoy.

Also by buying directly from Disney, you get the 2057 closing date for OKW and we also got 160 points added on to our purchased 160 points - 320 points for our first year- (yeehaw- grand villa- first year)

Double the points Nice! Congrats! Is there a web site that has the going rates for direct sale now a days?

jimaok said:
Also by buying directly from Disney, you get the 2057 closing date for OKW and we also got 160 points added on to our purchased 160 points - 320 points for our first year- (yeehaw- grand villa- first year)

What is your use year?

Is this a new incentive? Are they OKW points or developer points?

Normally Disney starts you off with a full set of current UY points. For example, if you purchased today and bought an Oct or Dec UY contract they would start you off with 2011 UY points since those contracts are still in their 2011 UY. This feels like "extra" points since the purchaser can bank them even past the banking deadline, giving them double points to work with in their 2012 UY. You do get a nice discount on the first year's dues on those points however.

If you bought a Feb, Mar, Apr, Jun, Aug or Sep UY contract today, you would start with 2012 UY points since those contracts are in their 2012 UY.

ETA: I checked DVCNews and the only developer point incentives listed there are for Aulani and AKV. You get 50 one-time-use points for every 100 points you buy, provided you make at least a 15% downpayment.

Trading is not a perk, it is part of being in the DVC system. It is the entire resort that belongs to DVC which allows everyone that owns at that resort to trade. To stop trading the resort would have to be removed from the DVC and thus both direct and resale buyers would be unable to trade.

Some of the reasons a person might want to buy direct are:

1 - not wanting to wait months and months before getting your points
2 - not being able to find the right point size, resort or UY that you want
3 - needing to finance, while there are other financing options, Disney does make it easy to finance
4 - wanting to use your points for cruises and the collections

Buying direct is fast, easy and convenient. Buying resale is cheaper, takes a lot more time and can be very frustating at times.

DougEMG said:
Trading is not a perk, it is part of being in the DVC system. It is the entire resort that belongs to DVC which allows everyone that owns at that resort to trade. To stop trading the resort would have to be removed from the DVC and thus both direct and resale buyers would be unable to trade.

Some of the reasons a person might want to buy direct are:

1 - not wanting to wait months and months before getting your points
2 - not being able to find the right point size, resort or UY that you want
3 - needing to finance, while there are other financing options, Disney does make it easy to finance
4 - wanting to use your points for cruises and the collections

Buying direct is fast, easy and convenient. Buying resale is cheaper, takes a lot more time and can be very frustating at times.

For someone who has been buying quite a bit of resale, you sound an awful lot like a guy trying to talk people OUT of buying resale. ;). I get it, less buyers = lower prices. You'll be a right points tycoon in no time! ;)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos.

For someone who has been buying quite a bit of resale, you sound an awful lot like a guy trying to talk people OUT of buying resale. ;). I get it, less buyers = lower prices. You'll be a right points tycoon in no time! ;)

My personal preference is resale, but I'm not going to tell someone not to buy direct if that is what they want to do. There can be valid reasons for buying direct.

I'm back looking for more contracts (resale only) and have made a few offers, but no luck so far. There just aren't that many contracts out there that look attractive to me (I'm frugal). None of what I've made offers on had already been sold, so I'm not sure what that says. Either there aren't a lot of buyers out there or the contracts aren't really that great.

I'm hoping that in the new year after MF are dues that there will be another crop of deals up for grabs.

I kind of think of myself as a points tycoon right now :joker:

DougEMG said:

I like (sort of) "knowing" points tycoons. :). If I'm ever in a position to rent points or want a transfer -- which is a possibility by 2014-- I'll be looking for names I "know."

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards App please excuse any typos.

My personal preference is resale, but I'm not going to tell someone not to buy direct if that is what they want to do. There can be valid reasons for buying direct.

I'm back looking for more contracts (resale only) and have made a few offers, but no luck so far. There just aren't that many contracts out there that look attractive to me (I'm frugal). None of what I've made offers on had already been sold, so I'm not sure what that says. Either there aren't a lot of buyers out there or the contracts aren't really that great.

I'm hoping that in the new year after MF are dues that there will be another crop of deals up for grabs.

Thurston "dougEMG" Howell III......How is Lovey doing? At times it does seem you are "stranded" here on the boards:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter