Purchasing BCV versus BWV? Pros and Cons?

Lawshark

Mouseketeer
I think we may finally take the plunge and buy DVC...but I'm hoping for some feedback from current members as to home resort. I'm 99% sure I want an Epcot area DVC and I think Beach Club...but I've not stayed at Boardwalk.

We really loved Beach Club...it didn't feel overly huge...my wife likes the amenities and feel of a hotel style resort...and all of us (me, dw, ds8 and ds4) love Epcot. The ability to pop in and out of Epcot was fantastic. SAB was also fantastic.

However...I know Boardwalk gets great feedback too...and the only real "downside" that I see is that there isn't SAB and you walk a bit further to Epcot. I don't know if that is enough reason to choose Beach Club.

Plus...does the higher room count at BWV help out with booking?

Any opinions would be appreciated...

As background for our likes/dislikes...We've stayed at Wilderness Lodge (and WLV), Grand Floridian, Beach Club, Saratoga Springs and one night in Pop. Beach Club was by far our favorite.

I loved WLV, but MK is not my most favored park. The quiet and intimate fell of the resort...even though large...was quite nice. Grand Floridian was an adult trip and nice...but not my cup of tea. Saratoga Springs was a nice facility...but way too huge and spread out. Pop served its purpose as a one night cheap stay...

The only way to tell for sure is to stay at BWV next time. Selecting a resort is a very personal thing. You can get a hundred recommendations, check into the most talked about resort and hate the place.

I also get the feeling that many who post here are biased and want you to like the resort(s) that they have purchased. We own BCV and BWV so I have a conflict and can't talk you into either one. :lmao:

I own at boardwalk and if I had to do it again I would pick beach club just for the pool. I have stayed at both and to me the villas are very much the same at each place.

The only way to tell for sure is to stay at BWV next time. Selecting a resort is a very personal thing. You can get a hundred recommendations, check into the most talked about resort and hate the place.

I also get the feeling that many who post here are biased and want you to like the resort(s) that they have purchased. We own BCV and BWV so I have a conflict and can't talk you into either one. :lmao:

Perfect! You have both:teacher:

I think I am sort of talking myself into a scouting trip...but I'm curious as to your perceived benefits/drawbacks.

Having to walk an extra 5 minutes to get to Epcot from BWV isn't that huge of a deal...although it was really nice the night I grabbed takeout in Morocco and made it back to my BWV in 5 minutes.

SAB is really nice...but we can always make an attempt to stay there occasionally...just not early Dec or F&W...

I know I've seen people complain about the long hallways or parking at BWV...

Really...most of the cons I've heard people complain about just aren't that big of a deal...it's just nibbling around the edges.

I own at boardwalk and if I had to do it again I would pick beach club just for the pool. I have stayed at both and to me the villas are very much the same at each place.

That's the only real rub for me...I have an 8 and 4 year old...so the pool is a nice attraction.

The only thing is...is that worth the price premium?

BWV has standard view rooms which is a great savings in points. Looking at 2010 point charts, a Standard view 1BR, Magic Season at BWV is 224 points. BCV the 1BR, same time, is 270 points.

To get the Standard View room, you almost have to always book at the 11 month window.

We've stayed (multiple times) at both...own some points at BCV (most of our points are at SSR)...here's our take:

BCV: Love the zippidy quick walk to Epcot! Love the pool. Love the MarketPlace. Love Cape May. Love the quiet pool area. Just overall love BCV! Plus, as the smallest DVC the 11-month advantage there is worth most...

BWV: Had a bad CM experience there (right after 9/11...went down on a "whim"...sort of a patriotic urge to prove the terrorists couldn't scare us away from Disney! Stayed at the Inn (hadn't bought into DVC at that point--didn't even know it existed!)...cold, harsh, unfriendly "in your face" CMs...left me disliking the BoardWalk to an extent that I never quite got over it...have stayed there 2-3 times since and still don't get that feeling of "oh, hurray I'm here" when I'm there...probably not "fair," but definitely real...anyway...

Advantages: standard view--points are waaaaay less...it's a great way to stay in the Epcot area w/out having to spend BCV-level points! It cuts the walk to the Studios down noticeably (w/out adding "too much" to the walk to Epcot)...11-month advantage for standard and boardwalk views...it has a community hall, if that matters to your family (my DS is an adult so we don't use the community halls, but people w/small kids rave about them!)...closer to Fantasia mini-golf (which we love)...right "on" the boardwalk--a plus if you want to eat there or do the nightlife...

The villas themselves really aren't all that different in size or layout and the decor, while different, isn't different enough to make any difference to me...and the walk to the furthest rooms don't seem all that much longer/shorter to me...

I still don't get excited about staying at BWV...I do stay there, when I can get SV accommodations and want to stay in the Epcot area...and my DS loves it, so I'm willing to go there when he wants to (which is usually when we can't get in to BCV...we can't always use the 11-month window!)...it IS Disney and there's no "bad" Disney place! But I'd always pick BCV (and SSR) over any other DVC resort...

Hope that helps...

We bought BWV because of the location. The difference to us between BVC and BWV is the Boardwalk View. There is no better view in all of WDW, IMHO. Also the pool is not a draw to us since our son is grown.

That's the only real rub for me...I have an 8 and 4 year old...so the pool is a nice attraction.

The only thing is...is that worth the price premium?

If you are leaning toward BCV because of SAB, I would suggest buying there. I think the premium you pay now will be minimized by the fact it is spread over 30 yrs or so. Plus BVC's MF's are less than BWV currently. As far as the size of the resort, the fact that BVC is smaller would be a reason to buy there. It will harder to book BVC inside the 7 month window.

As much as I would love to try and talk you into BWV, it seems that BVC would be better for you.

I had somewhat of the same dilemna when we bought a few years ago. In the end we chose BCV because of the pool, the closeness to Epcot and we knew it was where we would want to stay most of the time. If I had to do it over, I would choose BCV again in a heartbeat. The difference in price was well worth it to us because we just love the Beach Club and SAB (my daughter is 11). We have stayed at BWV twice with our points and had no trouble getting Boardwalk view at 7 months out. 1 trip was in May and the other was in February. We always spend time at the Boardwalk and a couple of times we have actually pool hopped over to BWV from BCV just for the fun of it.

We bought BWV because of the location. The difference to us between BVC and BWV is the Boardwalk View. There is no better view in all of WDW, IMHO. Also the pool is not a draw to us since our son is grown.

If you are leaning toward BCV because of SAB, I would suggest buying there. I think the premium you pay now will be minimized by the fact it is spread over 30 yrs or so. Plus BVC's MF's are less than BWV currently. As far as the size of the resort, the fact that BVC is smaller would be a reason to buy there. It will harder to book BVC inside the 7 month window.

As much as I would love to try and talk you into BWV, it seems that BVC would be better for you.

Hmmm...thanks all...good food for thought.

I was thinking about BWV's increased size as helping us plan those last minute trips at our home resort...but as noted...it could really hamstring us for going to BCV ever.

Plus...a last minute trip will probably be well within the 7 month window anyway...and the odds of BWV being booked up too are certainly good many times of the year.

I too had that "Wow...I'm home!" feel when we stayed at Beach Club. While I really loved Wilderness Lodge...and thought SSR was nice...neither had that same feeling.

I'm thinking I'm talking myself ino BCV...

I asked a very similar question recently and based on a lot of the responses and also responses I'm reading here am leaning towards BCV. The only thing that will stop me is if we find BWV acceptable and the $$$ make it more prudent to go with BWV. I am pratical to a fault so we will be doing our homework during our upcoming visit. I've already prepared my spreadsheet comparing BLT, BCV & BWV. Our decision will be based on which resort we really do like and how the finances play out. I will not take on long term debt for vacations so I have to find a way to deal with the costs before buying. Again, pratical to a fault, but ultraconservative is a good thing these days.

Good luck in whatever you end up doing, but you seem to be on the right track based on the initial question. Your doing it the right way.

Hmmm...thanks all...good food for thought.

I was thinking about BWV's increased size as helping us plan those last minute trips at our home resort...but as noted...it could really hamstring us for going to BCV ever.

Plus...a last minute trip will probably be well within the 7 month window anyway...and the odds of BWV being booked up too are certainly good many times of the year.

I too had that "Wow...I'm home!" feel when we stayed at Beach Club. While I really loved Wilderness Lodge...and thought SSR was nice...neither had that same feeling.

I'm thinking I'm talking myself ino BCV...

Just on everything that you have posted, it sounds like BCV holds the appeal for you right now. And, once you buy, you can always add on at BWV so that you can alternate or do split stays and get the best of both worlds.

Remember, once you hit the 7 month mark, all points are equal and owning at BWV will have no impact on you getting a room there for last minute trips over having BCV points.

We just joined this winter and went with BLT because MK is our favorite park. I think it is really important to be where you love, especially since you have stayed other places on property and know what you don't love.

Good luck!

I think BWV is a better value with the slightly lower prices and standard view units. BCV does have the dedicated 2 BR units though they are a little eccentric with 2/3 have a pull out instead of 2 regular beds. BWV also has the BW view and the 3 BR GV units.

If the SAB pool is important to you, then BCV would be a better choice. BCV is a small resort and the 11 month window is good to have if you really want to stay there. The BCV Marketplace has wonderful gelato and a self serve drink station for refillable mugs.
We are not SAB fans (I am too afraid to have kids out of my sight at a pool), so the BW view rooms won us over. I also love the walk to DHS, which is considerably shorter from BWV than BCV. If we were trying to stretch points the standard view rooms would be important, but that is not one of our priorities.
As others have said, the rooms themselves are so similar that it doesn't really matter.

We were going to add on more points at AKV or BLT, but then I started reading the posts about the renovations happening at BWV. By 2010, the rooms will be totally redone and new. We also like the view options, and surprise - my girls think the clown pool looks "cool" - mind you, they're 6.

So now we have 100 pts at AKV and 150 pts at BWV.

BWV - has multiple booking categories (standard, preferred, BWV preferred).
BCV - has one booking category (preferred)

BWV - has no dedicated two bedroom villas. They are all lockoffs.
BCV - has dedicated two bedroom villas, but only 25 have two queen beds in the second bedroom.

BWV - has one bank of elevators, so the hallways can seem very long
BCV - has two elevator banks so the hallways don't seem quite so long

BWV - has valet parking and self parking is not very close to the villas
BCV - has valet parking which is not close to the villas, but self parking is close to the villas.

BWV - has Luna Park pool and any member can hop to it.
BCV - has SAB and no one can hop to it

BWV - has Boardwalk Bakery, Cat Corria's, Flying Fish, and other non-Disney owned dining on the Boardwalk
BCV - has the Marketplace, Hurricane Hannahs, Beaches and Cream, Cape May Buffet, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Captains Grille, plus you can go to Swan/Dolphin to dine.

BWV - is right on the boardwalk
BCV - is behind the BC and no view of the boardwalk

BCV !

BEST ADVANTAGES:

The short walk from the VILLAS to their grocery/retail store at the Beach Club, which has its own small amount of sandwiches, soups, deserts, fresh bakery goods. This is the one resort if you have a refillable mug you won't be walking forever to use it. At this resort my refillable mug gets used several times a day, and often I can get out of my Villa/Studio and be refilling it within a 3 to 5 minute walk. You really have to walk a lot more at the BWV.

Stormalong Bay, you feel so happy that you are the specially chosen ones to be at this exclusive pool, and not the Clown Pool at the BWV. Your pool noodle will get more use at this Pool than any other Disney Pool. BWV Clown Pool will not have the lifeguards putting a band on your hand, but Stormalong Bay will put that band on you, they have to in order to keep out the other Resort guests. It is trully the exclusvie Pool you will want to be in, again and again. The nice snack bar and Beaches and Cream right next to the pool !

Shorter walk to return from ILLUMINATIONS, when your feet are dragging, and you just want to fall into the BCV bed. This makes it an excellent RESORT to get the quickest way in and out of EPCOT.

At the end of the day, just a short walk to the quiet pool, or back to the Marketplace for that final use of your refillable mug. At 10:52 PM You may be too tired to do that similar walk at the BWV, but at BCV you can make it with a minute or two to spare. Your tired feet will thank you for choosing BCV.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but I love the fact that the walk to Hollywood Studios is also only 10-15 minutes from the backside of the Boardwalk. We usually request a Boardwalk view, and love the walk to either EPCOT or the Studios. When we stayed at BCV, the extra 10-15 minutes around the lake typically meant we waited for the boat to the Studios which didn't seem as convenient.

Although that Stormalong Bay Pool is certainly a worthwhile attraction in its own right.

-Wayne

BWV has standard view rooms which is a great savings in points. Looking at 2010 point charts, a Standard view 1BR, Magic Season at BWV is 224 points. BCV the 1BR, same time, is 270 points.

To get the Standard View room, you almost have to always book at the 11 month window.

This is the main reason we chose the Boardwalk. After staying at the Boardwalk and Beach Club, we are very happy with our decision (and our ability to use less points)! BUT, we don't utilize the pool all that much on our vacations. We tend to spend extra time at the parks and not in the pool. Good luck with your decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter