• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Purchase only if going to WDW or DL?

mopee

Earning My Ears
I have read lots of forums about using the DVC at both WDW and Disneyland but very little about using the points for the "other" places, i.e. maybe Africa, Italy, Hawaii, etc.
Do you all members use the points for these places, or if it isn't WDW or DL would I be better off buying some other kind of timeshare.

Mo

If your primary reason for buying is not to stay at WDW DVC resorts, then you might be better off purchasing a different timeshare.

DVC offers a wide range of options for using points as "break" from using them at DVC points. However, some people on these boards think it's a very expensive use of the points. Trading with other timeshares is more economical or some people get cash for their points by "renting" them and use the actual $$ to buy alternative vacations.

The best use of DVC points is, of course, at DVC resorts. However, an occasional Interval International trade isn't too bad, either, as long as you aren't buying DVC primarily to trade. If you want a timeshare to use mostly for trading, there are a lot of much less expensive non-DVC options out there through timeshare resales.

I wasn't thinking of trading, but the wonderful broucher I received talked about all the other places you can stay besides WDW/DL and I was just wondering if you all have used your points to stay at these places.

Don't get me wrong, my bride and I love going to WDW and DL, but not sure if we want a DVC timeshare or just go to the parks without owning a piece of the place.

Chuck S
I see you are a moderator and have been a DVC member since 92. That's close to or the begining of the club. Have you used those points to take other vacations?

Chuck S
I see you are a moderator and have been a DVC member since 92. That's close to or the begining of the club. Have you used those points to take other vacations?

No, we haven't traded out at all. We take at least two trip a year to OKW. :) I imagine I will trade for DL Paris one of these years, but our cousin keeps changing her mind on dates, etc.

Really the 160 points to trade into Interval International isn't all that bad, provided you can find availability for your location and dates.

We intend to use our membership to "mix it up". This year OKW for a week. Next year - cruise. The following year (2009) WDW again with extended family. In 2010 we are hoping to trade out for a week AND do WDW for a week. Want to trade out again in 2011 for Hawaii and then bank whatever points are left to use toward a cruise again in 2012...

We liked the idea of the point structure and were impressed with the flexibility offered by the DVC as far as the different accomodation types (studios, 1 bedrooms etc.) and the idea that we can go in different seasons to different resorts to save points etc. I know somebody who has a timeshare on St. John & he always has the same week...that type of timeshare would get old for us REAL QUICK. We like the idea of being able to go any time we want.

Annie
I see by your signature you have stayed off site before, 06, 03. Where you a DVC member when you went on those trips, and if so was it worth the trade?

Annie
I see by your signature you have stayed off site before, 06, 03. Where you a DVC member when you went on those trips, and if so was it worth the trade?

No, we were not members then - we just purchased in Dec. '06 - but we wish we HAD purchased earlier since the cost per point only goes up! Anyway, we do tend to take high end vacations when we go somewhere besides FL - so we feel that the 160 points would be fair for a ski vacation or a place on Maui or on St. John for a week etc. However we would NOT trade out for week in Ocean City, MD where we could probably rent a condo for $1,200 for a week! I think you have to consider how much comparable hotel rates are per night at your destination in order to figure out if it's an equal trade. For example, we know a hotel on Maui can easily run $350-400 / n so we feel that 160 points for a week is a great deal...

A lot of people don't feel the DCL cruises are such a great way to use points either. But for us, we banked some points from this year & were able to cover all 3 of us on a 4 cruise in a peak season (we were also able to snag a SPH room which helped make our points go further). This is $3,000 that will stay in our pockets - and that was part of our goal when we purchased - to keep as much cash in our pockets as possible every year!

We bought in 97. We have used points for the DCL and DVC resorts only.

When we purchased our pts it was not just to use for Disney. We love Disney but we plan on using them for Hawaii and where ever the moment stricks us. You need to use them where they make you happy , after all is that not what it's all about:thumbsup2

We live in SanDiego and use them for the GC at DL alot because well we can...:)

You will always get the best bang for your bucks/pts for WDW but if somewhere else is where you want to go than I say go for it:thumbsup2

You can always purchase pts to use just for WDW and purchase Marriot timeshare for other places. Marriot TS is very popular.

WE cruise on DCL almost every year but dont use our pts for that we use them to stay at WDW before we crusie than the left over pts for DL.

We have 400 pts and waiting to see if Grandcalifornia DL opens rooms for DVC and will purchase some more pts at that time.

We bought 98 and have only used the concierge collection twice.... Tanque Verde Ranch in Tucson, and Grove Park Inn in Ashville. Tanque Verde Ranch may have been our best ever vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter