• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pumpkin bread recipes? Wms Sonoma wants $10.50 for a bread mix!

TheLittleRoo

DIS Veteran
I thought I was reading the price tag wrong, but NO! That's outrageous IMO! They were sampling it, and it was soooo difficult to resist... so now I'm searching for a similar recipe someone might have.

All I can remember from the description was that it had cinnamon, ginger, and pumpkin spices, and sugared pecans were also in it.

Does anyone have a favorite pumpkin bread recipe to share? Or pumpkin pancakes? Thanks!!

I just buy the pillsbury pumpkin quick bread mix(around $2 I think)It's yummy and can be doctored up to look more homemade- with nuts or chips. I just made it yesterday with chocolate chips and most of it is gone already!

I'll be checking back for answers! Anything pumpkin sounds soooo good!

Here is one for Pumpkin bars but it's more like pumpkin cake. I made this three times last fall (I double the icing recipe :rolleyes1 ) It's ymmmmm!

Ingredients
Bars:
4 eggs
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
15-ounce can pumpkin
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
Icing:
8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Using an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until light and fluffy. Stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth. Spread the batter into a greased 13 by 10-inch baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting. Cut into bars.

it's not a mix but this is a receipe that has been in Dh's family for 50+ years:

Pumpkin Loaves:
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil (vegeteble or canola)
3 eggs
2 cups canned pumpkin
3 cups sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

preheat oven 325 degrees
mix sugar, oil until blended
add eggs one at a time
beat until light & fluffy
beat in pumpkin

sift flour, salt, baking soad, baking powder, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg

on low slowly add flour mixture to liquid mixture about 1/2 cup at a time until fully incorporated

Divide mixture into baking pans. fill about 1/2 way. Sprinkle pecans on top.
Bake at 325 for aprox 60 mins until center is fully cooked.

we love this reciepe and make it as a family every oct through Dec...

enjoy!

lara

We just made these this weekend minus the cream filling. They were fantastic. Not too sweet and not too spicy. Super moist. It comes from taste of home.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Cream-Filled-Pumpkin-Cupcakes

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
4 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
FILLING:
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup milk
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
Directions:
In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, oil, pumpkin and eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and cinnamon; add to pumpkin mixture and beat until well mixed.
Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
For filling, combine cornstarch and milk in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening, butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in vanilla if desired. Gradually add the cornstarch mixture, beating until light and fluffy.
Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. circle 1 in. deep in the top of each cupcake. Carefully remove tops and set aside. Spoon or pipe filling into cupcakes. Replace tops. Yield: about 1-3/4 dozen.

Comments

Go to allrecipes.com and try the recipe for the Downeast Pumpkin Bread...I believe that's what its called. Very yummy and super easy.

TheLittleRoo I HAVE THE ANSWER FOR YOU!!!! I too fell in love with WS but too expensive. Did some research and discovered the difference between Pillsbury and WS is the spices and amounts. So about 2 years ago I developed a recipe to doctor up the boxed mix. Everyone RAVES about it and so much easier than all the true homemade stuff. I still use the WS cream cheese frosting recipe from the side of the box. All it is is-
Pillsbury Pumpkin Bread with all add ins to spec as per the box
Add 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
slightly less than 1/2 tsp nutmeg
generous shake of cinnamon
I use Penzey's Spices but all should work.

can also add walnuts or pecans or for a real bite cut up crystallized ginger (sophisticated taste)

The cream cheese recipe is 1 block cream cheese softened, (use 1/3 less fat), 3 TBS unsalted butter, 2/3 cup granulated sugar and 3/4 tsp vanilla extract. Just blend together and will have extra frosting YUM!

Now instead of 10.50 I pay about 1.79 (Walmart has this year round in my area). So glad I could share this!:cheer2:

Not to hijack the thread....:idea: ....but do any of you have any other tips similar to alexedan’s on how to put some extra magic into a box mix to make some yummy quick breads?

I just buy the spiced caked mix ( i know i know, its not bread) and add pumpkin the add the cream cheese frosting. YUMMY

fyi, there is a DL pumpkin muffin recipe posted on the DL boards right now......

Im making the pumpkin muffins this weekend from the DL board. I know they will be yummy.MMMM cream cheese frosting!:worship:

You can make muffins with the bread mix recipe too. I'd like some quick bread :rotfl: recipes too. I mostly do that one all the time b/c my kids love it. The only other one I have which is easy and out of this world is a coconut sheet cake that uses a box mix and coco-loco and also has cream cheese frosting (Can you tell I am a sucker for cream cheese frosting?) (And buttercream frosting, and buttercream frosting with passion fruit puree added in for flavor, etc., etc.)

I was in Costco yesterday and they were giving out samples of their Pumpkin Bread. It was sooo yummy! I picked up a box (it makes 4 loaves) and I can't wait to bake it.

fyi, there is a DL pumpkin muffin recipe posted on the DL boards right now......

Oh yes.

To add...disneyland.com has put their pumpkin muffin recipe online for AP holders. I made it, and although they didn't puff up to any pretty degree (it called for 3 *large* eggs and the eggs we got were very small so I put 4 in, and I think it weighed it down too much to rise up much), they are incredible.

So definitely go looking for it on the DLR forum!

If you live near Trader Joe's try them. My wife picked up a few boxes for $3.99 and it's pretty good with pumpkin butter

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter