Pulling your kids out of school.....more than once

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by snoopy5386, Jan 9, 2013.

1. snoopy5386

snoopy5386 DIS Veteran

I am a former middle school teacher turned SAHM to a wonderful little first grader. I have no problems pulling my elementary school child out of school for a vacation and we did just that this past fall to go to WDW and had a wonderful time.

Now thanks to a very generous friend we will be going on a cruise in February over President's week and she will miss another 3 days in addition to the 4 days she missed this fall. This trip was not in the works when we planned our fall vacation and we are very, very lucky to have this friend paying for our family along with two other families to go on this trip, but we were not in control of choosing the dates and there was no way we were going to turn down a free cruise with wonderful friends!

Now that the trip is getting closer I need to write a note to her school to let them know about the vacation and I am feeling hesitant. I don't really know what to say or how they will take it....it's one thing to take a kid out for a vacation once, but twice? Looking for BTDT stories from other parents who have pulled their kids out of school for more than one vacation.

I should add DD has not missed any other days of school this year and she is a top student, ahead of the curve academically and I have no worries about her ability to catch up on work or fall behind while we are gone.

Thoughts?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. nchulka

nchulka <font color=purple>it was funny when the creepy gu

I wouldn't worry about it. Last year I took both my kids out in late Feb/early March to go skiing in Colorado. They missed a week. Later in March was DDs 10th birthday and she and I took a special mother/daughter trip to Minnesota to the Mall of America. She missed 3 days. Spring Break was a week after we got back from that trip so it seemed like she was hardly at school at all for a month and a half! It was just the way it worked out, and it was totally fine. No problems with the school, no problems with her grades :thumbsup2

4. anniemck

anniemck DIS Veteran

Honestly, this is YOUR child... she will learn more on the cruise than she will sitting in class all day, she is in 1st grade, not a senior in high school, and getting ready for finals.

5. tigger51276

tigger51276 DIS Veteran

Last school year my DD9 missed the first week of school (should have been only the first day of school but she ended up in the hospital while at WDW) as we were at WDW and then I took her out again as we were given an amazing opportunity to go back to WDW with my best friend and her hubby/kids and as I knew we wouldn't have the opportunity to go in 2010 otherwise, I pulled her for another week in Feburary right before school vacation as my friends kid's vacation was a different week and since we were staying with them in their timeshare.....

My DD's teacher had no problem with it and like your DD my DD is ahead of the curve and did all the work her teacher sent for her and during the actual winter break finished up what her teacher didn't send. I was really nervous about telling her teacher about the 2nd vacation also, so I went in afterschool to let her know. I just explained it was an amazing opportunity for my family and that I would make sure she made up all the work and would even have her do extra credit work if needed such as keeping a journal.

6. snoopy5386

snoopy5386 DIS Veteran

Thanks for making me feel better!

7. ampc3

ampc3 DIS Veteran

I don't know what the "rules" are in NJ but in our county that would all be unexcused and after 5 they start sending "threating" letters with all the "things" they say they can do... Personally I don't know anyone who actually had anything happen to them other than getting the phone call and/or letter.. but if your state has anything similar you might want to just be prepared... They almost set you up from the begining to fib about being sick just so it is excused.. Don't flame me for saying that please.

I would NEVER pass up the opportunity either that your family has!!! How awesome and generous of your friends :) it really makes me mad that the schools (at least ours here) make is so difficult to take your kids out of school for family time..

IT just doesn't always work out to only take summer vacations... Now I think as ones kids get older it does completely change things.. my oldest I would never let miss that many days b/c it would just be to hard for them to catch up, but the younger ones heck yes!
    Have a great magical time :)

8. mama2shi

mama2shi Earning My Ears

I pull my daughter out each year for a week to go to Myrtle Beach. This year I will be pulling her out a week in October to go to Disney. The way I look at it, how much can she honetly be missing in 1st - 3rd grade for a week. It isn't like she is missing final exams or anything. I am buildng memories, and if she misses a little time from school in the process, so be it. Plus we make up the work missed or plan ahead and take it with us.

Tracey

9. mm1971

mm1971 DIS Veteran

Let's see..........Go on the cruise, have a great time and enjoy spending time with friends and family. When my kids were younger, we did 8 days (6 off from school) in Disney in October and then 3 days from school in April. We have a school policy that if you miss 14 days, they call you in to discuss. Never had any issues. Teachers were all OK as both made up the missed assignments quickly. Honestly, it would not bother me. Life experiences are very important as well.

10. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 <font color=green>I just love those parmesan mashe

Go and have a great time.

Over the years, we pulled our kids out several times during the school year for WDW trips. Sometimes our kids missed more than 10 school days in one year for WDW.

Hasn't hurt them one bit....my oldest (DD18) is now away in her 2nd year of college and officially a Junior. Somehow missing all that school didn't hurt her one bit. Maybe going to WDW so much is what put her "ahead of the rest"...;)

11. rutgers1

rutgers1 DIS Veteran

I have mixed emotions about missing school for a trip. As a kid, my family would often miss a week in October to go to Disney, and I will admit that it was disruptive for me as a student even though I wouldn't admit it at the time. My parents went in October for one reason -- smaller crowds.

As an elementary school teacher, I hate it when kids miss school for a vacation. It is very frustrating when I get the "Will he be missing anything?" email, or the one a few days before the trip when the parent asks for "all" of the work. If I were to send "all" of it, the child would be working for hours every day.

Perhaps I am too sensitive, but when I get these emails asking me if the child will be missing "anything," I feel like some parents think that all we do is babysit their kids all day. On top of that, it always seems that the kids who miss the most school are the ones who can least afford to miss it. VERY infrequently will one of the top, top students miss a week of school for a vacation.

I can understand missing a week if that is the only week that a parent can get off, or if there is a family event (such as a wedding) that is scheduled for that week. However, when I hear that parents are going because crowds are smaller, it is a bit frustrating.

With that said, I missed school for vacations as a kid and turned out ok!

12. 4HppyCamprs

4HppyCamprs DIS Veteran

While I am one who believes education is important, I also believe that actually living your life is important and that my children can learn to become good corporate soldiers (the reason formal education was developed and its purpose) even of they miss a week of elementary school.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

13. KristinAnne

KristinAnne DIS Veteran

I agree with Rutgers. She's your child, and if you want to pull her out, then pull her out. You know her ability and work level better than anyone. However, I do have a problem asking for "all the work" the child will be missing. Teachers have a lot to do (as you know as a former teacher yourself) and it is very time consuming to think ahead, make copies, etc etc.

14. Marionnette

Marionnette <font color=deeppink>Wishing On A Star<br><font co

I have to wonder if pulling the kids out of school for vacations sends them the wrong message. Now, please understand that this is just me thinking "out loud", and it isn't an indictment of those who choose to take their children when school is in session. I also did it when the kids were in K-2 if we could combine travel dates with teacher in-services. When they got older, we switched to going in July or late August.

My brother, who took his kids out every October for a week or more until two years ago when he got divorced, just got another truancy notice for his high school age son. This is after being brought before a magistrate for the boy's attendance last year. My nephew doesn't seem to think that being in school is very important. And he cites those Disney vacations as proof that Mom & Dad didn't seem to think it is, either.

15. BuzznBelle'smom

BuzznBelle'smom <font color=red>There are tomato-ey paw prints all

Just something to keep in mind: One year, I pulled my kids out for 5 days for a vacation. Later, my DD got sick, and missed an additional 5 days (possibly not all at once, I don't remember). I got one of those nasty "threat" letters, because the school was required by law to send one since 10 days had been missed.

I know you can't plan illnesses, but be aware that this could happen to you, too. The school didn't do anything beyond send the letter.

16. kkamyk

kkamyk Earning My Ears

In middle school my school was VERY strict. They wouldn't let me out excused for a vacation. It was unbelievable.
    I actually had to go the the nurses office and leave school "sick". My mom came in to get me and then we bolted out the doors and drove to the airport.
    Not saying it's the best option- but it works.

17. scoutie

scoutie DIS Veteran

I'm a middle school teacher, and if a child is not struggling with school, there is no problem with them taking a vacation with their family. I think that kids learn so much when they travel. I do appreciate when the parents give me a heads up, so I can prepare work for their child, and give them any background information or help they might need to complete the assignments.

18. stargazertechie

stargazertechie Toy Story Midway Maniac

Family time will ALWAYS be more important than school. Yes, education is important, but your little one is not going to miss anything in that week that will cripple them her life. They're learning simple math, science, history, English. It's not like they're studying nuclear physics.

You're a former teacher. I have full faith that you can catch her up on her lessons!

I am also the daughter of a teacher (who did the SAHM thing until I was in 4th grade). I graduated in the top 10 of my class. I missed at least 1 week of school annually for vacation.

And you know what- the memories I have with my parents of family vacations will always be with me. Besides, she's going to learn that in 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue every year between now and 12th grade :lmao: That's the one thing you can count on... history will repeat itself EVERY year from now until graduation. She will be an expert on US History from discovery through the Civil War.

19. 5stljayhawks

5stljayhawks Rock Chawk Jayhawk

We did week and half at Halloween. Communications with teachers is key. Check for any test well ahead of time as well as homework. Life is short with family education is a life long endeavour.

20. ilovepooh

ilovepooh <font color=red>I keep rubbing my head hoping an a

I say go on the vacation and not worry about it! Life is so short and this is a wonderful unexpected vacation and I would explain it as such. Enjoy this gift you've been given and have a wonderful family vacation!