• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pulling kids out of school?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a great vacation!!!!!! I'm excited for you! And to everyone, your kids really do appreciate this time away from school. School is a full time job. We all need a vacation from everyday and school is stressful for them too. I know they get allotted vacation time, but this is an added treat for them too. Enjoy :)

I may be to late to help, but I see no problem pulling them out of school for a few days. Especially if they are caught up with their work. I am teaching 6th grade right now, and my husband was planning on playing in a golf tournament at WDW in Oct. I battled that same decision, however, I was the one going to miss school. Finally my colleagues at school told me that your family is first priority.
Enjoy your family and your vacation.

We have taken our DD's out of school numerous times for WDW vacations. As they get older I continually struggle with the decision. DH is of the opinion that he wants to spend as much time with them now because in a few years they won't want to or won't be able to vacation with us. We most recently took them out this past Nov. Oldest DD is a freshman & 2 youngest are in 6th grade (twins). I was most worried about freshman DD.

Let me continue by saying that there was no problem whatsoever. They did the work they were given on the plane & called friends every day to get any work they could. Youngest DD's were even ahead with their work when they got back. Everything was made up & grades didn't suffer.

DH says he sees no reason why we can't do this again next year, although, again I struggle with the decision, even though there has never been a problem.

My only suggestion, regardless of grade, would be to make sure he does all the work he is given. Make sure he understands that it is a privelege that he is taking a vacation while others are in school.

Last year our oldest argued that she was on vacation & she shouldn't "have to do schoolwork". We firmly & in no uncertain terms explained to her that "yes, it was a vacation, but it would be her last one if she didn't do her schoolwork". We told her this was a "test" & that if she didn't do the work or her grades suffered we would never pull them out of school again. Well, she maintained high honor status & maintained her position in the honor society so we were able to go again in Nov. - this time there was no balking to our "schoolwork rules" however! :D

Originally posted by AmazingGrace
In the summer of 2002, our family went to the World, and had an amazing vacation. Our family was together, healthy and happy, and we felt that nothing bad could touch us.

We came back from vacation, the kids started school, Rick went back to work, life was "normal".

Fast forward to the early winter of '03. My seven year old son started having these "episodes" These episodes turned out to be seizures, and the seizures turned out to be caused by a brain tumor. The pictures Benji wanted in his hospital room were the ones we had taken at Disney. The last few minutes before surgery, he wanted to talk about Disney. It was a very special vacation for benji. Remembering it made him smile through a terrifying time.

We thought we'd never see "normal " again.

We were grateful that we had our trip to Disney to remember as one of the all time greats for our family. It was truly special.
For us, it wouldn't have made it any less special taking the kids out of school or not.

I guess my point is, if you have a chance to do something really special, DO IT!!!! Don't worry about school. Work can be made up!! Make those special moments, because you just never know.

We're all getting to go back to Disney this summer, but it's bitter-sweet. Benji's chose Disney for his "wish". The only reason we're not going before this summer is because of my husband's deploying this spring!

God bless!

God Bless you too! I am praying for a miracle for you & your family so that someday you will be able to make such a decision as to whether to take Benji out of school for a WDW vacation or not!!! Miracles Happen!

I just finished reading all 6 (or is it 7 now?) pages of this... I cannot believe the hostility from some (one)... Apparently, some people don't realize all the different possibilities and circumstances that exist in this world!

As I was growing up, my parents took me out of school EVERY YEAR in the fall for a family vacation. Sometimes it was a week, sometimes it was two weeks. The reasoning for this (me missing school instead of taking VC during scheduled "breaks") was that both of my parents worked in jobs where they had to "bid" for vacation based on seniority. Neither one had enough seniority to hold vacation during the scheduled school breaks. If they hadn't pulled me out of school, I would not have had the experiences that I did. We very likely would never have had a family vacation. My parents ALWAYS talked with the principal and the teachers ahead of time... We were very fortunate that through the years, the majority of my teachers were able to provide work ahead of time for me to then turn in when I returned. I always did the work on the way to wherever we were going, so that when we got there I could just enjoy the trip and not worry about school work.

Now that I'm an adult - married w/ one son - I also happen to work in a position where I have to "bid" for my vacation based on my seniority with the company. This does not always allow me to take time off at the same time my son is out of school. That being said, we made the decision to take him out last August for a week at WDW. He had just started kindergarten 2 weeks prior, and I talked to his teacher about it on the first day of school. Her response? "Don't worry... I completely understand what it's like when you have to schedule vacation around seniority issues." She wasn't able to provide work ahead of time for him to work on, but he made it all up when we returned. His absence was technically "unexcused", but that's just school policy.

When it's all said and done, I can tell you that I remember each and every one of the vacations my parents and I took... Do you think I remember every day of school? (The answer is no, even though I did receive an excellent education and have turned out OK...) I would like to think that my son will also get an excellent education as well as have amazing memories of our family vacations (wherever they may be).

Whew..... Sorry I got a little long-winded, but I just couldn't sit on this. I guess the moral of my story is that it's not always about trying to go when it's cheaper and cooler because we, as parents, are being selfish... It's about creating wonderful family memories at times when we - as an entire family - are able to!!

Just a little bit of input from the UK.

I teach Reception (4/5 year olds). Over here parents are legally allowed to take their child out of school for 10 days and they have to fill in a 'holiday form.' If they take more than the 10 days the school is not obliged to keep their place for them so in a popular school I suppose they could give the place to someone else ( although I doubt if that would actually happen.)

I've been doing this job for 14 years and have seen a turnaround in 'working mums' being in the minority, to a situation where most mums in my class have a job, even if it's part-time. I'm not making any kind of statement about working mums, I hasten to add. (I'm one !) The cost of a house over here can make it hard for families to get onto the property ladder without 2 incomes in many cases. And of course many parents are bringing up a family on their own so have less choice about working/not working. Consequently I see children, who are much loved and cared for, but who inevitably see less of their parents than those parents would like. They go to 'after school' clubs and spend the school holidays with childminders which can be marvellous experiences, I know, but not family.

So when a parent asks about taking a holiday in term-time, and I consider the priceless value of a family spending quality time together, giving and receiving love and making memories that will last, then I have no hesitation in saying 'have a wonderful time'.

Incidentally, on a recent holiday we met a German family who told us that if you took a holiday in termtime in the German system you were automatically fined. I can't remember the exact amount but it was several hundred pounds I think! Parents had to decide if it was worth the expense!

After a tremendous amount of soul searching, I have begun to rethink my position on this very important subject. I decided to seek out expert advice, so I made copies of all of the postings, and delivered them to my three children's teachers and administrator.

It took a number of days for them to read through the posts as they also had other teacher's and administrator's read them. They came back with an overwhelming response of GO TO DISNEY WORLD!

They felt that we should take our children out of school in the middle of the semester, and just go on vacation. They said that with three children, one in elementary school, one in middle school and one in high school that we certainly deserved it as a family. All except one teacher who felt that our time was better spent in the classroom. But we decided not to listen to her since she was only one voice.

The elementary school teacher was the one that felt we should stay in school and go on vacation during the scheduled breaks. So we are taking our child out of her classroom, (per the advice of the administration) and putting her in a class that the teacher agrees that going on vacation during the middle of the semester is acceptable. She said not to worry about making up the work, as it is only elementary school, and not that important.

The middle school teacher is very understanding and said that she would take time out of her already busy schedule and develop a study plan during the time she normally spends with her family. But, if our child did not get all the work done while on vacation, not to worry, she could do it when she returned and the teacher would help her.

Our son who is a senior in high school, is to take his laptop to WDW and send back daily reports on the educational experience that he is getting at the parks. What rides we go on, the length of the lines, etc.

So again, I stand corrected and we are rescheduling our trip to Disney World for when after our children's spring break is over. This is a better time for us to go anyway.

Thanks for all your valuable tips on this subject. You have opened my eyes to what really is important in the world.

:wave2:

I have taken my kids out of school for vacations several times and will do it again. My vacation picks are taken on a seniority basis, unfortunately I can't get summer or school break vacations. I've been on my job for 15 years and have never had a summer vacation, I work rotating shifts, weekends and holidays, so when I get vacation time I try to make the most of it.

So if I want my kids to enjoy Disney or vacations longer than a weekend I am forced to take them out of school. I have told every teacher in advance and have always received nothing but good wishes from all of them. We have worked hand in hand with each other, they supply some work after they come back just in case the kids missed out on something, and I have the kids keep a journal of our vacation which they share with the class when they come back. I have also told the teachers that I don't want my kids doing homework on vacation and they have all agreed with me.

To all the holier than thou people(not all, just the nasty ones) who argue about not taking kids out of school, what should people who have no alternative do? Maybe you have alternatives some of us don't.

And I would also like to say that as important as education is, their are other important things in life such as family closeness and life experience.

So I say do what's best for you, but don't criticize other people for trying to give something wonderful to their family.

Originally posted by btmyank
I have taken my kids out of school for vacations several times and will do it again. My vacation picks are taken on a seniority basis, unfortunately I can't get summer or school break vacations. I've been on my job for 15 years and have never had a summer vacation, I work rotating shifts, weekends and holidays, so when I get vacation time I try to make the most of it.

So if I want my kids to enjoy Disney or vacations longer than a weekend I am forced to take them out of school. I have told every teacher in advance and have always received nothing but good wishes from all of them. We have worked hand in hand with each other, they supply some work after they come back just in case the kids missed out on something, and I have the kids keep a journal of our vacation which they share with the class when they come back. I have also told the teachers that I don't want my kids doing homework on vacation and they have all agreed with me.

To all the holier than thou people(not all, just the nasty ones) who argue about not taking kids out of school, what should people who have no alternative do? Maybe you have alternatives some of us don't.

And I would also like to say that as important as education is, their are other important things in life such as family closeness and life experience.

So I say do what's best for you, but don't criticize other people for trying to give something wonderful to their family.

I couldn't have said it better. You go girl!

Thank you for your support, I would just like to clarify, I'm not a girl.
So you could tell me to" go boy". Thank you.

Originally posted by btmyank
Thank you for your support, I would just like to clarify, I'm not a girl.
So you could tell me to" go boy". Thank you.

Sorry, fell into bad habits from my daughters

WOW- what a debate! I'm chuckling as I read it.
I am a second grade teacher and have been for 7 years. My children are 4 and 2- DD will be in kind. next year. I, personally, was considering taking a week off next year to go to WDW. We decided against it due to my under-abundance of sick and personal days. My husband has a hard time getting off during the holidays- the times I get off- and I just personally do not desire to go in the summer. I know we may have to one day, but why not avoid it as long as we can?
Anyway, this is my view:
My mom never let us miss school unless we were on our 'death bed'!LOL Now that I'm a mom and teacher, I've changed her mind a bit. If your children are good students who aren't struggling in a particular area- reading or math- then I say go for it! Let the teacher know in plenty of time so they may/may not prepare the work ahead of time. Every teacher is different. I, personally, only make the student make up work that has to be made up- tests, etc. I have been known not to make them make up tests if they have enough grades without it and it wasn't a 'major' topic or won't majorly make a difference with their grade. If your child won't struggle as a result- then go! My niece, however, is in 5th grade and a week away would take her a 'month' to make up. So it is not an option for them!
I say do what is best for your family. Education is important- obviously, I'm a teacher- but nothing is more important to me than my family. If there is an illness, GO- don't hesitate! If your child can handle a week away without major problems, go and enjoy your family time!
JMHO- I do not represent anyone other than myself- in other words- not all teachers or parents will have the same views as mine!;)

This is why we take our children out of school without any regrets.

When I was in the 6th grade my parents allowed me to miss 14 days of school so that I could go on a vacation "out west" with my grandparents and my aunt. I didn't have to make up any of my school work if I would prepare a scrapbook and make a presentation for my class. My grandparents and my aunt helped me gather all kinds of information for the presentation. We spent a large amount of time in New Mexico, visited other states and Mexico. I experienced so many things and learned so much in those two weeks.

Three years later, my grandfather, a man that I adored, was diagonosed with terminal lung cancer. A year after that, almost exactly four years after our trip my grandfather was gone. I was left with a heavy heart but too many memories to count. None of his other grandchildren were ever lucky enough to experience what I did. Even now, at the age of 33, I delight in telling the stories of our trip so that my younger cousins might know just a little about our grandfather.

Last year in May, we took our girls out of school for a week to go to WDW and take a Disney Cruise. We had a wonderful time and will be taking them out of school again this May for a week. I guess the way we look at it is that since we don't know how long we will be alive or healthy we (DH, DD14, DD6, my self and my mom) will make memories while we can.

Just wanted to share my experience with you all.

Thanks,

Melissa

I'm an ICU nurse with a DH in the navy reserves (not activated yet, although they're hinting Iraq in August for a year). Take my word for it: life's too short, it ends way too soon. If taking your kids out of school gets your family together, having a great time; making memories; I say, "go for it!"

Just wanted to add that if you're taking your kids out of school for a vacation to please check with the school first. My brother-in-law took his kids put of public school to go to DW several years ago and when they got back they were contacted by the school system and told if it ever happened again charges would be pressed. Since then they have only gone during school vacations, usually spring break.

The problem with that is that the rest of the kids in the family go to Catholic school and they have their spring break at a different time. When we go in April we are going with my husband's other brother and his family and brother #1 and his family can't go with us. :(

Oh well. maybe next time.

Well i don't know where some of you live but where i live the teachers are more then happy to give all the course work and homework for the kids to do while on vacation. I am pulling my dtr out the week before x-mas, we are parents and responsible enough to make sure our kids get the work done. So hey, enjoy the vacation

I contacted the school a few weeks ago, they advised me to speak with the guidance counselor. I did and she was very nice and excited that we were going. She told me to write individual letters to each of my DS's teachers a month from the day we were to leave. I did. DS got mixed reactions from each of the teachers. Most seemed happy and one did not. I called his homeroom teacher and explained that I do not expect any work in advance but if she happens to have her class plan done it would be good to have the work, but again, not expected. We discussed that he would have a folder of work waiting for him upon his return (they do this for any absent child, each student has a buddy who puts any work in a folder). I assured her that I will see to it that all work is complete and I will work for him to bring him up to speed. Neither of us see this as a problem as he is a good student. I spoke with the Nurse on the phone at the time I spoke with the Guidance Dept. and she informed me that I should write her a note a few days before we leave so that she could mark it in the attendance book for the week that we are away. I don't know why that one teacher had a negative reaction, but like in the thread, some have different feelings towards taking a child out of school, so I will leave it at that.

I am new to this board and thread. So am I getting this correctly, efastpitch you have 3 kids and are now taking them out of school to go to Disney? I am really impressed with your ability to go from a very strong opinion and work through to a new opinion. (I read the part about text mesages not conveying sentiment and I want you to know this is sincere :) )

I am a teacher and have had 3 students go on vacations during school this year. I have spent many hours working with them to make up missed work. I teach high school Biology in NYS where they kids have a Regents exam in June, that has a lab requirement. If the students do not have the labs complete they are not eligible to write the test and have to repeat the course. So , no, it isn't just a matter of compiling worksheets to answer a question a few pages back. (This is also sincerely written, there have been too many negative posts, and I don't want to add to it.) A worksheet in isolation of class time is just a piece of the puzzle. Plus the lab requirement needs to be met, and that means I have to keep labs set up for extended periods of time when kids go on vacation and I have to do the labs with them upon their return. I do this all cheerfully and think that it is teaching a much more important lesson than the objective of 1 lab. In 5-10-50 years after completing my course, the conditions under which an enzyme works best (one of the labs I had to do with a student after school) is not what I hope kids remember (or am naive enough to believe they will remember :D ) But there are lessons that hopefully will stick with them. How about cause and effect? I made a decision to miss school (or my parents did) and know here is the price. I need to make up work and my teachers have to too. So the decisions of one person can affect many. How about learning to prioritize? Spending time with my family comes first, and school is also important so spending extra time at school will be the price of family time. My supporting the vacation shows how I feel about family time. Other teachers not supporting the vacation teaches that there are many opinions on any issues, and decisions need to be made accordingly. I could go on, but who would want to read it? ;) My point is there are many lessons to be learned in life so live your life they way you choose and make the most of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter