Pulling 7 year old out of school. What do you do?

We are pulling out our 5th and 1st graders out for 2 weeks in September. Our district has independent study for extended absences and I've already spoken to my oldest's teacher for next year and she is totally fine with it. Check with your district on their policy and do what you think is best.

I think each year has a different experience for each child and to speak to the teacher in advanced about it. Find out what his or her feelings are on that specific week of school (for example, you may not want to take the vacation during statewide testing, planned field trips, big project etc) and how your child is doing academically. You may want to talk to this year's teacher to gauge that - but from what you said is seems like things are going well so far in 1st grade, so it's probably good :)

While I don't like having to take DD our of school for a vacation on a regular basis, we had an opportunity to go on one in January 2010. We took DD out of school for 3 days (Wed - Fri) for a trip to Disneyland that weekend. I spoke to the teacher about it months ahead of time and she agreed it was a great idea to go on the trip at that time. Come to find out the teacher assumed we were going for the WHOLE week and was surprised to see DD in school Monday - Tues. Bummer - I could have taken her out for the whole week and NOT just 3 days. Oh well. :)

Also, while we were on the trip, we set aside time for DD to finish her homework each day. Just make sure to set aside a little extra homework time and you'll be fine.

Please contact your school district to find out what their absence policy is. Every school is different. Maybe you will be given homework in advance, maybe after you come back, maybe not at all.

Personally, I wouldn't pull a child for that long if I could help it. If there is no other time you can go, then it is what it is, but I say that if you CAN travel another time that would minimize school missed, then you should do so. We have done the last 3 Thanksgiving breaks, and DD only misses 2 days of school. I can't do summer for health reasons, and we have family commitments at Christmas, so this is the next best thing. Sure, it would be nice to go when everyone else is in school, but I really don't think missing more than a week of school for no reason other thna you want to is a good idea at any age so we make the sacrifice.

ETA: On our public school syatem it would be an unexcused absence. The child would get zeros on everything missed, and the system could choose to deny credit in middle or high school. In elementary school they couold exercise thier right to hold the child back, given that many unexcused absences.

I've taken my kids out in elementary before, and wish I did it more, now that I can't. I think you are only wrong in thinking the teacher should get the work to you ahead of time - yes, that would be nice, but it's certainly easier for the teacher to make a pile for you, and give it to you when you return. I've had teachers do it both ways.

I agree do you can get away with it when they are young. We pulled my girls out in September and they were in HS. My mom is very ill and we took a vacation in between her chemo. Well the teachers were very understanding but my kids struggled to catch up when they got back. It was only 3 days but they are in HS and it is so so difficult to do it when they are older. Take advantage of going on off peak times while you child is young and you can pull them out! It makes the trip so much more enjoyable with less crowds! ENJOY!

You only have to answer to the school and yourself. Do check the school policy and decide if you can live with the outcome of taking her out but do not worry about other people. We took DS out many years from K-8th grade and never had a problem. asked for work early and sometimes got it and sometimes not. ALWAYS made up everything they asked him to.Some years very little, 3rd grade a huge amount of work. Our rule was 5 days and our only regret was when he reached high school and we could not do it any longer.

I wouldnt worry to much about it, I am taking my DD out of school the first week if May. Shes in 5th grade and I already mentioned it to her teacher so he knew that she would be gone and can have all her homework ready.

I wouldn't worry about it. We have taken our kids out of school almost every year since they started, DD14 is in 9th grade and DS9 is in 4th grade. We didn't pull them out this year because DD14 specifically requested that we not pull her out during her first year in High School, so we scheduled our vacation for the end of June (right after the kids get out). However, we are considering pulling them out for 3 days (actually 2 1/2) in November to go to Disney during Jersey week.

We always mention it to the teachers and principal a couple of months before the trip and again shortly before we leave (usually a week before). The teachers and Principal have always been great about it. Both kids are excellent students so I don't really worry about them catching up, if they were struggling then I would definatley reconsider pulling them out.

We have this discussion with my IL's all the time. They feel strongly that kids should never be taken out of school for anything and we feel that there are situations where it's fine. We have flown out to visit them before our kids had school (Oldest DD is 4 and in preschool with the public schools here now). They even did their regularly scheduled playdates which totally baffled me. And then at the end, they complained that they didn't get to see us. I think that if family that you NEVER see is visiting missing a day or 2 is ok. We would even do a few days for Disney, at least until middle school as long as they're doing OK in school.

My kids are 10 and 7 (5th and 2nd grade). We take them out of school each year for about 16 days for 2 vacations. One to WDW and one somewhere else. We call them our Adventures.

We treat them as educational trips. We have them get homework (when they can) but we also plan things along the way. One might map out our next days travels while the other navigates. I have done notebooks of the countries flags and they wrote little stories about the food, culture and life in the countries from Epcot. We have done observations on the animals in AK and a bit of history in DHS through the movies.

I want them to realize learning just not happen in schools. It is a life long process and chances to learn more are all around us if we just look and take the time. :)

I know this is a hot button issue, but we are having the same problem. We are pulling out ds 7&8. This is the first time we have done it and I would never imagine how we would be treated for pulling them out. Our school's district policy is anything other than illness or death in the family is unexcused and 3 days in a row is a truancy hearing.

I have worried myself to the point of insanity about this, but finally decided is one week really going to make or break my children's lives? I know when I get back there will be a truancy hearing and I will explain the same thing. It has already been a very rough year for my family we lost my mother in law in December, I have major surgery in March and my son will have surgery in June. The saying"Vacations is what summer is for," does not work for us with ds surgery. The children have not missed any days of school so far and I'm going forward with our plans. If the children were older this trip would not happen, but they are not so I am going to take the opportunity while I can. So I am giving the school board their choice 5 days out of school or 4 weeks for surgery, I will take the five days.

Go with your gut, you know your children better than anyone and what they are capable of doing. People will always have a difference of opinion, just take all in stride and enjoy the memories you will make!

Off the soapbox now, if anyone cares to borrow it!:goodvibes

Just do it. I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

BTW, I pull my own two kids out every year for WDW vacations...and myself as well. We just got back from a week-long stay at SSR. :rolleyes1

I know this is a hot button issue, but we are having the same problem. We are pulling out ds 7&8. This is the first time we have done it and I would never imagine how we would be treated for pulling them out. Our school's district policy is anything other than illness or death in the family is unexcused and 3 days in a row is a truancy hearing.

I have worried myself to the point of insanity about this, but finally decided is one week really going to make or break my children's lives? I know when I get back there will be a truancy hearing and I will explain the same thing. It has already been a very rough year for my family we lost my mother in law in December, I have major surgery in March and my son will have surgery in June. The saying"Vacations is what summer is for," does not work for us with ds surgery. The children have not missed any days of school so far and I'm going forward with our plans. If the children were older this trip would not happen, but they are not so I am going to take the opportunity while I can. So I am giving the school board their choice 5 days out of school or 4 weeks for surgery, I will take the five days.

Go with your gut, you know your children better than anyone and what they are capable of doing. People will always have a difference of opinion, just take all in stride and enjoy the memories you will make!

I would not worry about it . My kids are homeschoolded for this reason. My parents took me out of school all the time for trips. I still graduated from college and have lucrative careeer. I think schools over estimate their importance. Personally I think its a control thing with the schools. How much could a child especially a 7 year old miss in one or two weeks.

Add me to the list who has done and will continue until I feel my kids can't handle it! :) We just got back from WDW in December and the kids (2nd grade and kindergarten) missed 8 days of school. The teachers and principal wanted to come with us!!

I will say that those were the only days they missed in first semester and they are both very bright students who don't struggle with school. Had we already had a lot of misses or if they struggled in school I am not sure what I would do....

Have fun!!

I'm now a grandma of 5. While my girls were growing up we took them out of school for Disney vacations. The memories that you will make and the bonds that will be strengthened will return full circle. Just this weekend we were sitting around talking about some of our trips and looking at pictures. What memories we made! With smiles, laughter and tears they said thank you for the memories and wonderful times. I always got their work before hand and they never got behind. I also took them out for other special days. Each got to pick a day to stay out of school and go Christmas shopping with me and have a girls day out. They are now 38 and 40 and guess what...we still have special days together and we still take vacations together. We are pulling my grandson out of first grade this year to take him...you guessed it...to Walt Disney World and on his first Disney cruise. I say - do it. There is so little in this world that last...but memories last forever.

Just curious but have you taken the time to talk to the school?? There may be the possibility of an exception being made and they can treat it as educational enhancement. Take the time to talk one on one with the school/school board and go in with a calm attitude. Why wait until the truancy hearing to do it?? I know hear a truancy hearing can cost you a lot of money and they will ask the same thing I just did about whether you took the time to talk to the school and explain it to them.

Another supporter of pulling them out. I realize some states have very strict laws to work around. Fortunately here in New York we don't. I believe in flexibility and the fact that the children learn while they are out of school.

If it starts to interfere with their schooling then we'll stop doing it. On other hand we are seriously consider homeschooling for a number of reasons. So it may become a non-issue for us.

To those that are wrestling with the decision, do what is best for your family in the long run. Life is too short. There may not be a tomorrow, you don't know.

Can someone give me reassurance that my thinking is not wrong??? I sometimes feel that its mostly just the people who are jealous making these statements to be quite honest. We will never travel during April vacation because We hate the parks when they are that busy. Did it once, and it was awful.
Well, I can't say that you are "wrong", but this isn't the tack we've taken. It is important for us to send the message to our kids that we work hard and play hard---but the work comes first. We have yet to have them miss a day of school for a vacation. We might consider it, but only for a day or two---for example, the Monday/Tuesday of Thanksgiving week---not a full week.

I think it is also important to realize that for most people, it's not a "miss school or never go" decision. We still go on plenty of vacations. We take at least 3 week long vacations in a year. Last year, the kids did a 4-day DCL cruise in February plus a couple days at Sea World, we spent a week in Williamsburg in June, and a week in WDW in July. This year, the kids are spending President's Week at Universal and Sea World, and we're spending two weeks in the pacific northwest this summer, including an Alaskan cruise on DCL. Next year, we'll probably have a 7-day DCL Caribbean cruise in February, a week on the Outer Banks in August, and one other week somewhere (maybe WDW again) in the June/July timeframe.

So, we still go on vacation, but we schedule those vacations when the kids are off school, and I don't have to teach. This does mean that we go when destinations are more crowded, and most things are more expensive, but we take the position that that is just one of the consequences of deciding to have kids. We have not found the crowds difficult to deal with, provided one has a sensible touring plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter