Pulled over 3 times in a week

SandrA9810

DIS Veteran
This is starting to get really annoying, but so is going to the DMV.

Last year when we got the car, we got a temp tag for about a month because the car needed to be smog. After it passed, we got a permanent tag from 2/20/11 to 2/20/12. Haven't had a single issue all year long.

Now within a week, I've had a cop drive behind me, scan the tags, and then pull me over. The first time I knew I wasn't doing anything wrong, the second two times I knew what they wanted. Every time, they tell me the tags are expired, and I show them the DMV paper when we got the sticker. Then they send me on my merry way.

I know we have to go get new tags for this year, but it'll have to wait till Thursday or Friday when there isn't class taking up all day. As well as a few other things that need to get done (so I can't just do it online). I still can't figure out why the tags would show expired.

yeah, i got pulled over 3 times in the same location. haha, didnt know i can just keep my ticket and show the officer and be let go for it.

so i ended up with 2 fix it tickets to pay instead of 1.

Don't feel bad I got caught speeding on camera 3 times in one month. Had to pay the price for it too, I think the 3 tickets in total came to $225. I still have a lead foot but try to keep it under control for the sake of my monthly budget. DH also threatened to kill me if I got another one. :laughing:

In my state the tags expire at the end of the month-never heard of expiring on a particular day-odd.

Our tags expire on your birthday. Happy Birthday, that'll be $85 please.

So, wait, you still have the temp tag on instead of the new one? Why not put on the new one?

I've also never heard of a tag that ran on anything other than end of month to end of month.

Does your tag show up as expired on the date the temp tag expired instead of the new? Maybe the DMV made a mistake when they processed your tags.

You're still in CA right? You're pretty close to me actually. This is how it's supposed to work in CA regarding registration. When you buy a "new" car (new or used) you get a temporary tag, this tag goes inside the car on the windshield in the lower corner, sometimes they put it on the right, sometimes on the left. Then you get your regular tags from DMV and you remove the temporary tag and put the actual sticker on your license plate. I assume that Sandra has the actual sticker on her plate that says 2012 on it. Sandra, they are NOT allowed to pull you over for this, even tho my minivan's registration is due 2-2 I technically have until the last day of the month before they are allowed to pull me over. I mailed our registration payment on 2-1, it was due 2-2, I still don't have my stickers for it and it's the 15th! Your car is registered through the end of Feb no matter what the due date is on your tags. And you don't have to go in to the DMV, you can mail the payment or make the payment online, you don't get hit with a late fee unless you pay online after the 20th or your mailed payment is postmarked after the 20th. I assume when you say they "scan" the tags they are running your plate, but even so, the tags on your plate(s) say "FEB" and "2012" so they have zero reason to even run your plates let alone pull you over. If your tags don't say "FEB" or "2012" then you need to go to the DMV today, but remember, you can also make an appointment at the DMV so it may not be as bad as you think. :)

PS, as I said our tags "expired" on 2-2, it's 2-15 and I still don't have my new "2013" sticker but I haven't had any problems getting pulled over.

I just paid my speeding ticket today, all $138.00 of it.:headache: I had not been pulled over since I was 16, and now I am paranoid of getting another ticket. :laughing:

A friend of mine was pulled over twice in the same night. She got out of both of them by telling the officers that she was in a hurry to get to the bathroom. She lied, but I wish I had tried that. I sat there quietly and didn't say a word like he might let me off for good behavior or something.:rotfl2:

Don't feel bad I got caught speeding on camera 3 times in one month. Had to pay the price for it too, I think the 3 tickets in total came to $225. I still have a lead foot but try to keep it under control for the sake of my monthly budget. DH also threatened to kill me if I got another one. :laughing:
3 times in 1 month? Pssshhh, I got nailed 3 times in 1 week. First time just following along with traffic. 60 mph in a short stretch of 40 with everyone else running 60 but the guy next to me passing me. I got picked out because I was young.

2nd time, yes, I was speeding. Had to turn up ahead somewhere and wasn't sure of where it was. I was putting along at the speed limit. 2 lanes both ways and a truck up ahead moving a little slower. I decided to go around and ahead of the truck. I move over, accelerate some to get by quicker, go by, get ahead of the truck, pull back in and slow back down. The law got me while I was passing by the truck.

Third time I can't remember what it was. I think it was a definite I was speeding moment.

A week later, I'm with the same friend that was with me on the above occasions only he was driving. He lived way out in the middle of nowhere. None of the younger crowd held to anywhere close to the speed limit. Absolutely nowhere close to even 20, 30, 40 over the speed limit. Lot of racing going on out there. We were pulled over doing 105 mph on a 35 mph road......

Cop hands him a written warning for driving too fast for conditions!

Yeah, just about every other word out of the cops mouth was .... They are not allowed to say that to someone pulled over. 70 mph over the speed limit, he gets a warning, the previous week, I get a $180 fine just because I'm following along with traffic.

I have a current sticker, and I'm sure it's good till the end of the month. But it hasn't even reached the 20th yet.

Back in Florida, it expired on your birthday month.

I work in an insurance agency and today a young lady called and she told me the cops keep giving her tickets for using a cell phone while driving (two times this week and it's only Wed). She wanted to know how much her bill would go up. Told her to maybe consider not using the phone while driving.

3 times in 1 month? Pssshhh, I got nailed 3 times in 1 week. First time just following along with traffic. 60 mph in a short stretch of 40 with everyone else running 60 but the guy next to me passing me. I got picked out because I was young.

2nd time, yes, I was speeding. Had to turn up ahead somewhere and wasn't sure of where it was. I was putting along at the speed limit. 2 lanes both ways and a truck up ahead moving a little slower. I decided to go around and ahead of the truck. I move over, accelerate some to get by quicker, go by, get ahead of the truck, pull back in and slow back down. The law got me while I was passing by the truck.

Third time I can't remember what it was. I think it was a definite I was speeding moment.

Wait, so you're complaining you got pulled over for speeding, something you blatantly admit? It doesn't matter if you're following along with traffic, if you're going above the speed limit you are fair game.

Honestly, you need some help if you're speeding that much and take responsibility for all your actions as you clearly violated the law in two of the three examples and the third, despite your inability to provide details, is probably the same.

In short, speeding to pass and speeding with the flow of traffic, is still speeding.

I have a current sticker, and I'm sure it's good till the end of the month. But it hasn't even reached the 20th yet.

Back in Florida, it expired on your birthday month.

I don't understand why they would run your license number or pull you over at all. In California, you should have two stickers in the upper corners of your license plate. One shows the month, and the other shows the year your registration expires. Your stickers should say "Feb" and "2012." When you pay your registration, you will get a new sticker that will say "2013." You current registration is good until midnight on Feb. 29. If you have both stickers in the correct spots on your rear license plate, there's no reason for an officer to even look twice at it. Also, officers will generally give a one month grace period for expired registrations. In most cases, the driver has already paid the fees, but hasn't yet received their sticker in the mail. It's a waste of the officer's time to pull someone over only to find their fees are paid (info. from my dad, a retired cop). I could, however, see them pulling you over in April for a sticker that expired in February. Also, if you pay the registration online as soon as you receive the bill, you will get the new sticker in plenty of time before the old one expires. Then you can avoid the DMV completely.

I don't get it either. The first time I wasn't doing anything wrong, got pulled over after making a left at light, he was behind me for maybe a 1/2 mile. Just kind of went with it. The officer just looked at the registration paper, and said "thats strange and have a good night."
The second time, I was at really long light waiting to make a left turn, and saw him sitting behind me. I knew it before the light turned green. Made my left, lights went on. Again said, that's strange, might want to check at the DMV.
Third time, stopped at a stop sign, made a left, then made another left at the next block. I didn't even think I was stopped long enough for him to run the plate number. Told him, yes I know you think my tags are expired, and we're already planning on going to the DMV.

It's an old Ford Contour, they haven't made the car in 12 years, so it's not like a high theft car. I think I've seen 3 of them around town in the year we've had it. Hondas get stolen left and right, three were stolen within a couple weeks at school. But I don't know what I was doing to give them any indication to run my tags.

I've done my share of rule breaking and getting caught. But I've gotten a lot better from 11 years ago. Plus my aunt is a very bad backseat driver, so I try to be good so she can stay off her brakes...

My worst was when I was like 16, got 3 all in one shot. A) speeding, the family lead foot got the best of me. B) driving on a learner's withouit an adult. C) driving on a suspended license. I was not in compliance with school, so the state automatically suspended it.
There is no way to hide all the lawyer/traffic school flyers that come ten in the mail per day.

In my state the tags expire at the end of the month-never heard of expiring on a particular day-odd.

Here in IN the tags expire through out the month. It's all based on a formula that takes your last name into effect. Ours expire 5-20 and our last name starts with Ha. My parents plates expire 5-25 and my maiden name starts with Ho.

Years ago, the plates expired at the end of the month, but it put such a strain on the DVM - everybody would wait til the end of the month and try to get it done at the last minute.

I don't get it either. The first time I wasn't doing anything wrong, got pulled over after making a left at light, he was behind me for maybe a 1/2 mile. Just kind of went with it. The officer just looked at the registration paper, and said "thats strange and have a good night."
The second time, I was at really long light waiting to make a left turn, and saw him sitting behind me. I knew it before the light turned green. Made my left, lights went on. Again said, that's strange, might want to check at the DMV.
Third time, stopped at a stop sign, made a left, then made another left at the next block. I didn't even think I was stopped long enough for him to run the plate number. Told him, yes I know you think my tags are expired, and we're already planning on going to the DMV.

It's an old Ford Contour, they haven't made the car in 12 years, so it's not like a high theft car. I think I've seen 3 of them around town in the year we've had it. Hondas get stolen left and right, three were stolen within a couple weeks at school. But I don't know what I was doing to give them any indication to run my tags.

I've done my share of rule breaking and getting caught. But I've gotten a lot better from 11 years ago. Plus my aunt is a very bad backseat driver, so I try to be good so she can stay off her brakes...

My worst was when I was like 16, got 3 all in one shot. A) speeding, the family lead foot got the best of me. B) driving on a learner's withouit an adult. C) driving on a suspended license. I was not in compliance with school, so the state automatically suspended it.
There is no way to hide all the lawyer/traffic school flyers that come ten in the mail per day.

Just stop making left turns and you should be fine. :lmao:

Just stop making left turns and you should be fine. :lmao:

I was thinking the same thing. :)

OP, did the police tell you each time that they pulled you because your plates were expired? Did you look at your plates to make sure that the stickers are still on them? There must be something else going on that makes them even run your tags..... It's just not a normal thing to happen.

Sometimes you wonder why they put speedometers in cars. Dad used to say tell the cop you have dyslexia.

That is crazy.

I live in VA and our tags always expire at the end of the month. That would want me to make a big copy of the tag paper and put it somewhere in my back window or make a bumper sticker out of it just so the cop wouldn't be wasting my time or his thinking it had expired.

There is something flawed somewhere if for whatever reason they like to run it and zips out expired but the OP has her paper saying it expires on such and such date.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest