Pull them from school?

I'm taking all 4 of my boys, Grades 1, 5, 10 and 11, out for our trip in May. Maybe not the most ideal situation for my two highschoolers, but opportunities only come once in a blue moon. Life can change in the blink of an eye.

They aren't struggling in any of their classes, so I'm not concerned that it will be a problem.

I want to go and have a fabulous time with my family - something we haven't really ever done - because who knows when we'll be able to do it again!

I pulled my girl out last year in her primary year for a week and will be pulling her out next year in her grade 2 for 7 school days in may. I wanted to take her on march break next year (DCL Cruise) but my boss already booked off the March break 2011 before I could and I had to book the cruise for May. :(.

I reckon a week or so, every second year, when they are so small is no big deal. When she gets to be in her later grades, that will likely not be possible. I'll have to ask my boss to stop booking off march break (as she has no kids anyway).

I had to book the cruise for May. :(.

Oh you won't be disappointed! We did the cruise in May and it was fantastic! Low crowds, good prices, calm ocean and great weather. What more could you ask for? :cool1:

I'll have to ask my boss to stop booking off march break (as she has no kids anyway).

Why would he want to deal with the crowds/high prices if he has no kids?:sad2:

we did the first week of october last year and it was practically wlk on for all rides. it was great!!!

keep in mind for those for april next year- easters late-24th of april- which more than likely will coincide with not only late school breaks for the east coast schools, but grad nites for graduating students in the us. so it may make it busier.

were going next month since dd starts school this fall. i didnt want to pull her out her first month of school ever. but thats a personal choice. shes's also special needs and theres other factors involved for us with that.

however next february weve got two weeks off for the canada winter games break instead of march break. trying to convince hubby to go back! lol

We've done this several times and its never been an issue. We always let teachers know, and we have them journal and do a little math (from a practice book I pick up at Chapters) before they settle at night. Also there is So much stuff that's both educational AND fun that the teachers always let them talk about it when they get back (Ellen's energy, Test Track, Innoventions, World Showcase, Mission Space. And last year after the big historical election in the US my kids even enjoyed Hall of Presidents! That was a first!

Pulling kids from school really depends on the kids and grade level. Personally, I wouldn't do it simply for the sake of convenience.

We've been over the NB March Break and it isn't crowded. The US breaks happen later. We have also been in July and August and it has been no problem. Both the crowds and heat are manageable (the heat is no problem after a day or so).

I just pulled my DD out of school this past December to go to Disney. She's in grade 8 and I figured it was probably the last time I could do it before she starts high school. I didn't have any problems with her school. We went the first week of December and had very low crowds and got to see the decorations. It was great.

February? Before Easter? Even October? These are some major vacation times in the States and the U.K. I've been to WDW during these times as well as ON March break. All of the times are just as crowded. You might get cheaper airfares, but that's it.

The first two weeks prior to President's long weekend are value. Crowds are lower and resorts are cheaper.

January or the beginning of February are great times to go.

First of all, I have to say I'm liking how much more peaceful this topic is on the Canadian board :thumbsup2.

I'm 20, and I was pulled out of school by my parents for trips (mostly Disney) almost every year from Kindergarten all the way up to grade 12. I don't see any problems with it, especially if your children are young. As long as they can handle the work they will miss I don't see why you shouldn't pull them out.

When I was on my earlier trips, the teachers gave a few worksheets to do on the plane, and had me write a trip journal. During middle school and high school the teachers either gave me the work before or after to make up, simple :).

The week at Disney will remain in their memories much, much longer then the week in school will.

I like to book my vacations over those standardized tests. I don't like them and since they don't need to write them to pass until grade 9, I am saving my children from the stress of them.

Ha! Thanks for the tip! I just might do that come grade 6 then...

Last year the school was insisting my daughter take the test. But she's LD and cannot read or write very well yet.

First I was told she would have to write the answers -that no one could scribe for her. Then I was informed she would be given the test 1-on-1 with someone to read & scribe for her. Then I guess the school decided that was too much effort and gave her an exemption.

My kids are 9, 6 and 6 (yes twins) and we go in May. This year it will be Starwars weekend!!!

The school has no problem with this, and they usually give them a project to do on the trip. This year we're staying in Animal Kingdom, so the principal asked to take pictures of African artifacts.

We are pulling our 3 kids out for 2 weeks in the beginning of December and the school is fine with it! They will be in grades 7,5, and 1.

My dh and I are self-employed so we can pretty much go anytime work wise. Our favourite time has been Jan/Feb. Weather is cool but nice enough to swim and the crowds are low - lower prices at the resorts are a great bonus too!
This year - because of worries with the economy - we've done it differently. I took the youngest in October, we had a family trip Christmas-New Years, and I'll take the eldest in May. It's been great (I know - 3 trips for me!) But DH was too stressed to leave the office in October anyways and it looks like May will continue to be busy. We loved the trip in December (HHI!) it was relaxing and most of our clients were away from their offices then anyways.
My eldest is in grade 7 (we didn't want to pull him out in October with the adjustment to the higher grade) but May is much more relaxed with school and it's been a great motivator for him to work towards.
Disney Dad if you see a mom looking a little "crazed" around DHS with her 12year old Star Wars fan - that's me! I didn't realize it would be Star Wars weekend while we were there and now DS has planned to spend all our time hanging out there. Yikes!!
I've taken the boys out of school every year - no problems with teachers, kids have always caught up quickly when we returned. This will happen less and less as our eldest goes through highschool. We'll probably plan our trips to overlap other holidays/long weekends.

Absolutely...I'm a teacher--I tell parents all the time that some things are more important in life than school; spending time with family needs to sometimes take priority!

Wow. I think you might be the exception... I agree with your philosophy though.:wizard:

Wow. I think you might be the exception... I agree with your philosophy though.:wizard:
Nah, there are a lot of us out here with that philosophy. Each of my kids went to Florida with aunts/uncles and cousins. My DD even took time from her late high school classes to go with her uncle/Godfather and his family. I just wish I could go during the school year. LOL :rotfl2: My first year of retirement has been planned for years! I even have my annual pass vouchers in the safety deposit box. :thumbsup2

when would you plan your trip if your child is in highschool? We usually go end of Nov/first of Dec. March Break is a little to busy if we are doing only a Disney parks vacation. Christmas break is out of the question for us, wth our work schedules.

Funny you asked that ... I took my grade 12 IB student out in November for nearly 2 weeks, but declined to do so for our March trip, even though she would miss less school .... too close to year end work for my comfort.

My grade 1 and 3 made both trips.

Ted

He said to me one day (not too long ago) which influenced and reinforced our trip to Disney (countdown 2 weeks!! YAY!) he said he was speaking with a friend at school about quality family time (??) and said that he told his friend, "Do you realize that we see our teachers more than we see our parents? we spend more time with them than our own parents". (we both work full time)..that in itself made us realize that its "DEFINITELY WORTH" the trip..quality family time cannot be replaced.....which is 99% of the reason why we visit Disney. There is no other place we'd rather spend our time with our children.

It's true- I spend more time with some of my kids than parents do! :confused3 Take them out of school- travel is an education unto itself. ;)

I have taken my niece to WDW the past two years for 2 weeks at a time.

The first year she was in Kindergarten and we left after she had 2 days of school. She was supose to have had 3 but the Kindergarten teacher switched what 3 full days she was teaching. I don't think the teacher was all that happy that she was missing so much time.

Last year she missed 2 weeks also, but one day was Thanksgiving. Her teacher gave her work to do while at WDW.

No trip this year for her. It's time for her little sister to go this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter