• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pug Puppies

mommytobug

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have one? What are the pros and cons? What do they usually cost? I am wanting one but have no idea where to purchase, etc. I would love to see pictures!

I have 3 grown one's. :)

One was $1500, special breeder.

One was $800 on sale :rolleyes: , no one wanted her in the pet store so I had to buy her. :sad2:

The other was free. His other mommie was bad to him. :sad1:

Honestly, pugs are not an easy breed. They need plenty of affection & they are high maintenance, but worth it! There is a pug thread here with a lot of info on it from other posters as well. I'll try to find it for you. :goodvibes

Before we were informed on the horrors of puppymills & such, we purchased our pug puppy from a petstore...... since then, we have been given the lecture MANY times.

I would suggest searching for your local pug rescue groups. Most of the time they have adult pugs available for adoption, but sometimes have puppies as well. An adult pug may be easier since it will already be potty trained.
However, if you are set on a puppy, be prepared to be patient with the potty training. Consistency & positve rewards really help potty training. It took us about 4 months before our pug puppy was pretty much fully trained. We would reward our puppy with a small chunk of cheese each time he went potty outside.

If you are looking for a pug puppy, please do research to find an ethical breeder. Some backyard breeders & puppymills can do alot of work to "disguise" the fact that they are not good breeders. Some might have fancy websites or offer to "meet you" I would be very leary of these types of breeders. You will want to check out where the pug puppies are raised, not have the breeder meet you.

Good luck with your decision. We love our pug! He is a sweet member of our family.

Contact your local veterinarian. They should know who the good and legitimate breeders are in your area. Also take a look at the animal shelters. Sometimes they get purebreeds in.

We got our Pug puppy by way of a rescue group in NJ....the Pregnant mom and the father were taken away from a family that had jumped into the breeding game, but two litters didn't survive....I *think* that their vet blew the whistle on them....I got the call that they needed homes for these pups but could not sell them as pure bred.

Anyway, the positives---they are SO cute, and their dispositions are great....they love people, so no worries about kids, etc. The negatives---they are stubborn as stubborn can be...housebreaking takes longer than some other breeds, but if you stick with it, you will see success. A positive for some, negative for others, is that they require ALOT of human interaction. They are not the type to be ignored or left alone for long. We still won't leave ours alone all day, we have someone come in every few hours if we are going away for the entire day. They are LOTS of fun.

I recommend them highly as a breed! I advocate petfinders, we have gotten 2 dogs from there with GREAT success!

We love our pug, she's great with kids and other animals. They are very attached to their people.

Two things we didn't know before we got ours... THEY SHED A LOT. At least ours does. Mine also has issues with her anal glands. They get full often and she will "mark" things with the stinky stuff that comes out. Have to take her to the vet to get them expressed fairly often. It's gross.

My family had a pug when I was growing up. We bought her from a home which raised & sold the breed. Ours was only $300, but this was back in '94. They definitely make great indoor dogs, and are good with children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter