Puff Pastry Shell Ideas

maslex

DIS Veteran
I bought a couple boxes of these puff pastry shells. I'd like to make a savory appetizer with them for Christmas Day. Any ideas? I'm already doing a cold spinach dip. So no spinach/artichoke dip for them. Please let me know what YOU would fill in them. Thanks!

1702745060549.png

Brie w/ a small dollop of cranberry sauce.
Same here, only we do the cranberry on the side. We use a puff pastry but it's not technically a shell, more of a wrap. In any case, I gotta figure melted brie is good with just about anything.:)

Only one choice for me; my absolute favorite appetizer: Crab Mornay.
(And for Christmas, be sure to do it up right with the best Gruyere you can find!)

Last edited:
In Ireland / Europe they are called vol au vent.

Youc ould try searching vol au vent recipes.

One thing thats popualr here is Mushroom vol-au-vents
https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/recipes/mushroom-vol-au-vents-1.4407466

Ingredients
6 large frozen vol-au-vent cases
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp butter
400g mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic
½ tsp Dijon mustard
Squeeze of lemon juice
4 tbsp creme fraiche
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
Black pepper and salt

1 Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Arrange the frozen vol-au-vent cases on a lined tray. Brush with the beaten egg. Bake for 10-12 minutes until puffed up and golden. Set aside.

2 Melt the butter in a heavy-based frying pan. Saute the mushrooms until golden, add the garlic and stir until the raw flavour is gone – about one minute.

3 Remove from the heat and season well with black pepper and a little salt. Add a generous squeeze of lemon juice, the mustard, thyme and creme fraiche. Stir gently to combine.

4 Remove the lid from each pastry case and spoon in the hot mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with a little fresh thyme and serve right away.

I’m renowned for my ability to not put hot hors d‘oeuvres on the table 🤣
but along with the great suggestions above these might appeal:

https://www.purewow.com/recipes/italian-pinwheels

They can be filled with sun dried tomatoes, pesto, caponata, ratatouille or whatever strikes your fancy.

Make some curried chicken salad (aka Coronation salad) or Italian tuna salad (lots of parsley and capers) and place a spoonful in the blind baked pastry shells.

I just made pinwheels with prosciutto and parmesan, Litltle mustard/mayo mix with basil and tyme, lay prosciutto, lay shredded cheese on top and roll. 350 for 18 to 20 mins. Cut about 20 pinwheels per roll and lay on cookie sheet to cook.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter