Pucks Fine Dining--the dinner that "Never Was"

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
Thursday May 4. There we were at Downtown Disney long about 6:00 and ready for Wolfgangs Upstairs. We'd been there a few trips back and had a fine meal--we were looking forward to this return.
As soon as we walked in I knew someting wasn't right. Lots of buffet style food tables set up, and lots of dressed up folks partaking of same. We walked over to the stairway where you check in for the upstairs dining and found no one there. We stood around and waited a bit, figuring maybe they got a late start or something. Then a lady manager spotted us and walked over. As soon as I said that we had ADR"s for 6:00 PM, she frowned and said that "That isn't possible--the restaurant is booked for a private party the entire evening". When I said that I was sure we had Adr's, she frowned yet again and said " No. The restaurant has been booked for several months".
When I said we'd made our ADR's at least 3 months ago--yet another frown. I began to get the feeling she wasn't believing anything I had said.
But then Uncleromulus played his ace in the hole. Not only did I have my confirmation # with me, I had it IN WRITING, on the printout we had gotten upon checking in at OKW. There it was in black and white, on official Disney stationery, and only a few days old!!
That changed everything. She went back to the podium , punched in several sets of numbers, frowned yet again, and then became very apologetic. Sorry it happened, no idea why we weren't called, we could be seated in the regular Pucks cafe section. We weren't really in the mood for burgers or meatloaf, so Mrs Uncleromulus (rather loudly, I may add) suggested we might be trying Portobello Yacht Club if we could get in w/o an ADR. Then the lady redeemed herself completely--she immediately got on the phone, called Portobello, and made "manager-to manager" reservations for us. And that's where we wound up eating that nite. In our case that was pretty satisfactory-Portobello is a fine place and we hadn't been there in some years. But I can see how what happened to us could have been very disappointing, IF we hadn't had a fall-back spot and IF we hadn't been able to get in to Portobello.

So what's the moral of all this? Realizing that from time to time entire restaurants are booked for the entire evening and you may not be made aware of it. So having the ADR # handy is a great idea, and if you are staying at a WDW resort, getting a printout of your ADR's is even a better idea.

I would have gone for V&A and let Puck pick up the tab! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

We've always been bad about the ADR thing and usually never have it in writing with us. I'll have ot remember to keep a copy of the itinerary we get from the Grand in the future.

Of all of the advice I have ever read anyone give, but I think Bob gave the best. Don't know if they would have done it, but I think maybe we should act as a group. I think we should figure out who to contact (all separately) to indicate that should this arise we would EXPECT to be satisfied with just such an arraingement as Bob suggested. It can't be too common, but I was highly offended just reading it. And if it happens to not go the way we want, we can all agree not only to boycott the offending restaurant, but I would think we could spread enough ill will to at least make it hurt.

I'm just an average guy and I'm happy about it, but no one deserves to shove me over just because of who they are.

Alan :sad2:

Uncleromulus;
The "guilty until proven innocent" school of customer service has got to go. It's just not the right way to treat the customer. We always have our ADR# with us but we'll do the printout from now on. Will you be posting a review of Portobello Yacht Club??

you know, I remember reading about this happening to someone else awhile back...I don't remember who or when, but I thought it was you for some reason...I'm going to see if I can search for it

Mister Disney said:
I would have gone for V&A and let Puck pick up the tab! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

We've always been bad about the ADR thing and usually never have it in writing with us. I'll have ot remember to keep a copy of the itinerary we get from the Grand in the future.

ITA seriously I would have expected the restaurant to pick up the bill at least. I am quite a placid person but the embarassment of gategrashing a private party unawares, time wasted getting to the restaurant and disappointment were definately worth getting Pucks to pick up the bill for.

FYI - if anyone runs into dining problems, they are more than accomodating at 1-407-WDW-DINE.

We had a nightmare (two and a half hour) experience at Beaches & Cream last year (which did not involve ever eating there, mind you!). The dining lady was so kind, made some calls and called us back on the cell immediately. Found several restaurants for us to dine at where we would be seated as soon as we arrived. At this point we drove through somewhere offsite for dinner because it was nearing bedtime for the kids. But she did get us a priority seating at a "sold out" Chef Mickey's breakfast the next day. (We had to pay, but still - very nice, very accomodating).

So, never forget that if you're in a similar situation. WDW wants you to be happy.

I've read about it happening to a few folks from time to time--and it did sort of happen to us last meal at Pucks. At that time, Pucks had just switched to using DisneyDining to make their ADR's. We had just made ADR's for Pucks when a day or so later the manager (of Pucks) called and said Disney hadn't "blocked out" the night in question when we wanted to have dinner at Pucks. There was going to be a private affair there that night and Pucks would be closed. Disney Dining had been asked to block out that date entirely--but obviously hadn't. That call from the manager gave us plenty of time to change things around.
Problem now of course is that ADR's are made 6 months in advance and if let's say--3 months of folks book BEFORE any dates are "blocked out", that may leave lots of people who must be called.
That's what probably happened this time--but no one called and we had to deal with that when we arrived at the restaurant.
And yes--will do the Portobello review--(good meal).

Oh, I agree - you guys should have been notified - at very least when you checked into the hotel. :)

Oh what a horrible experience! I'm glad you and the Mrs turned it around though and had a good meal after all.

But that is great advice. I always have all my info written out so I never would have thought to get a print out from the front desk, but you bet I will now. ;)

CamColt said:
But that is great advice. I always have all my info written out so I never would have thought to get a print out from the front desk, but you bet I will now. ;)
I never knew you could do this. I have all my conformation numbers written down, but it would be nice to have an "offical" print out. Especially after what happened to the OP.

So all I have to do is ask at the front desk when I check in for a print out of my ADRs?

That's too bad!! DH and I really enjoyed Puck's "Upstairs" when we went a few years ago. Looking forward to the Portobello review. We had dinner there once, but it was a few years ago now, and I don't remember a whole lot about it.

jimmalru80 said:
Uncleromulus;
The "guilty until proven innocent" school of customer service has got to go. It's just not the right way to treat the customer.

Boy, I agree with you!

That is a shame that you missed your dinner but I'm glad Portobello worked out, Uncleromulus.

I never considered getting my ADRs printed out when I check in, that is a great idea. I am actually proud of myself that I take a little notecard and keep it in my purse with all my ADRs written down on it! Now, I will take it one step further and request a print out.

luvpooh-I remember that also, and for some reason I think it was at HOB...another DTD restaurant.

I can imagine there would have been several people to contact. However, courtesy at least, they should have made sure that they informed everyone.

CamColt said:
I always have all my info written out so I never would have thought to get a print out from the front desk, but you bet I will now. ;)

Same here. It's a good thing that you had the printout with you, Uncleromulus - I hate to think how much more disappointing this evening could've been if you hadn't. With the TS restaurants filling up like they have been recently, if the WP manager had not been helpful, you probably would not have had a nice dinner anywhere that evening. It's very irritating that she didn't believe you when you told her you had an ADR and had to be shown the printout.

All that aside, I'm glad to hear you had a nice dinner at Portobello, and I look forward to the dining review. :)

jbdreamer:
Somewhere at the front desk they'll do it. Just ask and it comes right up as a printout. Also has any "special events" listed--tours and such.

That's one of the best tips ever! I have a few ADRs for my upcoming trip that are tied to credit cards or cancellation policies. I always bring my confirmation numbers with me, but to have it officially printed out by Disney will be very helpful if I run into a snafu! Thanks! :wave:

UncleR,

I am glad there was a happy ending to your missed dinner!

FYI:At the WL I had my ADRs printed out at the guest services desk to the left of the check-in desk. I just wasn't sure if this is available everywhere.

Can you get print outs at EVERY WDW hotel, even the values and moderates?

Just wondering... :goodvibes

Thanks,
penny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter