• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Publix question...

Planorunner

Earning My Ears
Since we're stopping at the Publix on our way (we're using FL tours I'm thinking). I'm wondering how the prices compare to Wal Mart. Are they much more expensive? I'm trying to decide whether or not I'm better off shipping certain foods or purchasing there.

TIA!

While it's true that some of the prices might be higher I can assure you that if you buy some of the sale items (we are running TONS of BOGO deals now and we will continue to run tons thru the summer) you will spend less than at Walmart.
I tried shopping @ Walmart before hoping to save big $$$$ and I just had to admit that it didn't. I like the meat MUCH better at Publix.... I won't elaborate on that as I'm sure that's not what your going to be buying... but other things like the basics.... canned veggies, potato flakes, etc, they were constantly out of stock at Walmart, so then Ii would have to go to Publix anyway... more driving! I also took note of the prices.... Yes, Walmart does have lower prices than Publix " in a general sense" but not by much. Some of there things were like .02 cheaper... I'm sorry I'm not driving out of my way to save .02 on a can of beans.....
Also, if it will help you plan you can access the Publix sales ad online for planning... P.M. me if you have any more questions...

Many times Publix is cheaper or the same as Wal Mart. Their baked goods are yummy. Their subs are great from the deli.

My daughter will likely be going to school next year at Rosen and there is a new Publix across the street so that will be her grocery store...do they have a loyalty card? We were wondering so we could get her signed up for that if so.

Liz

My daughter will likely be going to school next year at Rosen and there is a new Publix across the street so that will be her grocery store...do they have a loyalty card? We were wondering so we could get her signed up for that if so.

Liz

To my knowledge Publix does not have a loyalty card.

Glad to hear your daughter decided to go with my alma mater. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 I hope she enjoys her time at UCF as much as I did.

I agree that the prices, in general, may be a little bit higher, but the BOGOF sales have been great, and offset any Wal Mart sales.

I personally would rather pay a bit more to have friendly, knowledgeble, customer service. They bag my groceries, and help me load them in the car. The people in all of the specialty departments are extremely helpful. The manager at my local one even orders wine by the case for me, with a reduction in price. ;)

I needed 60 subs for an event, so I placed my order a few days before, dropped 2 coolers off the night before, then picked them up (I brought blue ice pads to keep them cold) the morning of the event. No problem, no extra charge.

Can you tell I LOVE Publix? ;)

I too :lovestruc Publix!
I will go to walmart or target for items like TP and shampoo casue it seems to be cheaper and it's not out of my way to shop at both
But Groceries are about the same on some things and ITA with PP's their sales offset items that may be higher. Lots of BOGO's right now!
Their bakery is SOO nice!
and Walmart is just an I have to stop cause no one else sells fabric etc..
after having a employee that was stocking shelves tell me he was too busy to get an item off a top shelf for me- I will pay more for good customer service.

Publix pricing has shifted a bit during the past few years...when I first moved to the area we shopped at Super WalMart for cleaning supplies, canned goods and boxed items like Mac and Cheese....we would go to Winn Dixie for meat and Publix for a sale on coca cola every once in awhile...Publix was getting very little of my grocery budget because everything seemed to be at least 25-100% more expensive than WM or WD.

Since Publix has become more reasonable we have shifted our spending to about 90% at Publix and look to WM for laundry/cleaning supplies(if it's not on sale at Publix when I need it)...and skip over Winn Dixie all of the time...Winn Dixie is starting to remind me of Almacs up north before the end...picked over...brown and green meat....still not crazy about meat prices at Publix and stock up at a local meat store for things other than hamburger and chicken.

It also helps that my husband has several Publix employee clients and we feel we are supporting his business by supporting that company

I shop Publix weekly, unless you are buying the B1G1 or sale items most things will be more expensive than walmart...just buy whats on sale! I would never buy meat, seafood, or produce at wal-mart no matter what the price though.

I shop only publix and a occasional trip to wal mart. I go almost everyday to publix and all the workers know us. When my dad had a stroke three weeks ago they all cried. He is better now by the grace of god, but I find wal mart to be cheaper on the off brand stuff and publix to be close to the same price as wal mart with the name brand stuff. I buy all my cleaning and laundry stuff at the dollar general.

I say go ahead and stop at the publix. And most importantly have a great time.

And definitely Publix produce is much fresher and tastier than Wal-Mart produce...I don't care how inexpensive Wal-Mart marks its produce: across the board it is bland and tasteless.

I agree with all of the PPs about Publix prices and quality. It's been our favorite grocery store for years. The deli and produce cant be beat.

If you're making a stop to buy supplies, food, and snacks, you'll probably find plenty of reasonably priced items, and many things on sale. Publix also has a much better selection of products than Walmart if you're looking for a particular item. Their store brand is great, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter