Publix or Walmart?

JohnnySharp

Mouseketeer
We are staying near the 192 next month, villa at Indian Point, very near Walmart.

Previously we have used Publix , obviously there are several nearby and we have always found them very good.

Have never been in Walmart though, can anyone give me an opinion on which one they prefer, bearing in mind the bulk of the shopping will be for Groceries?

I think Publix is neater and cleaner but also more expensive.
As for walmart the wife loves it (not just for groceries ) she will spent 4-5 hours in there in one spell .Me and the kids have a quick look round then retire to the restaurant for at least an hour.
They have so much stuff there and cheap.
If youve never been to one give it a try.:eek: :eek:

We stayed at Indian Point and believe me you are so close to Wal-Mart.:)
We prefer Wal-Mart to Publix, brilliant store and open 24hours. You can get everything you need here. Lots of choices.
Even when we stayed at Chatham Park we still drove to Wal-Mart.

You can't beat Publix for food-better choice better quality yes they may be a little dearer but you get waht you pay for.Wal-Mart is good for most other things but for me it's Publix for food.

We also do our grocery shopping at Publix, and Walmart for anything else we need (styrofoam coolers, spare suitcases, etc). I can't bear Walmart for food, so we're prepared to drive past the Big W to get to a Publix store.

Regards

Rob

Another vote for Publix. We went to Walmart for the first time last trip. We only looked around the food section and I have to admit that it wasn't as bad as I'd expected - worth a visit, but not in the same league as Publix.

General agreement here. We stayed at Indian Point last summer and will return to the same villa this July. It is a stone's throw from Walmart and it is well worth a visit but not my choice for food.

Walmart is great for everything you can think of but Publix is much more of a 'proper' supermarket with better quality and choice. My advice is go to both.

Louise

Thanks everyone, will stick to Publix for food etc but as we are so close to Walmart may as well go there too.

We've always found Walmart good (that means cheap!) for food and other stuff. The main problem is at the tills, they only ever seem to have half of them open, however busy it is and consequently the queue moves at a snails pace (it's not like Asda!)
Ian

Walmart is more convenient because it offers more than just food, but for just groceries I'd opt for Publix

We prefer to get food at Publix or often Winn Dixie (but I don't think there's one near Indian Point). We don't think Walmart food is quite the same quality as the other two, apart from the glazed doughnuts, which are superb!!!!!!

Has anyone else wondered why the fresh fruit is so scabby looking compared to here in the UK?

.... and why do the supermarkets there sell CALIFORNIAN! citrus fruit in the middle of Florida where we are surrounded by orange groves?

Originally posted by MalcolmC
Has anyone else wondered why the fresh fruit is so scabby looking compared to here in the UK?

Perhaps because they aren't covered in chemicals ?

Anyone tried Albersons? We stumbled across them on out way to the airport on the way home and were quite impressed! However, no sense of direction so couldn't tell you where it was!:p

Intend to try Albertsons this trip - I've made a note of a few locations.

Our normal shopping strategy is Albertsons on the first night because it's the nearest to our usual villa then Wal Mart sometime in the next couple of days to stock up on the staple items (beer ... important stuff like that!) because it really is much cheaper there, then the rest of the holiday we alternate between Publix and Albertsons. There really is little to choose between them in terms of quality - both have good deli counters and bakeries, much better than Wal Mart.

Win Dixie we avoid - don't like it at all. Goodings is very expensive but the one at Lake Buena Vista does have a resonable selection of British goods in case you forgot to pack your Marmite. Prices are staggering though.

I have to agree with what's been suggested already - Publix for food, but Walmart for anything else (and I do mean anything else!).

The last Walmart we were in even had a car servicing dept. so that you could do your shopping whilst the car was in! In our experience Publix seems to have consistently better produce than Walmart. :)

Publix was voted #1 in customer satisfaction by consumer reports magazine. We go to both, but Walmart is usually more crowded and much longer waits at the check out line. Save a little at Walmart but wait longer.

Can anyone tell me how to get to the nearest Wal-mart from the rodeway inn international drive without a car. i've looked through the lynx site but can't find direction's. maybe i'd be just as well getting a taxi.
thank's Jean

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter