Public address announcements/songs

dlf246

Mouseketeer
As we get excited for our trip, I encountered my first negative comment in discussions with friends... one said that they were annoyed by what he felt was too many PA announcements and (gasp!) getting annoyed by Disney songs playing over PA a lot.

This got me curious..: are the announcements too plentiful, and many songs???

Wow, he sounds like someone in serious need of a hug from Mickey! ::MickeyMo I didn't notice too many PA announcements. There was a daily announcement from the captain and very infrequent announcements by the cruise director, but they were certainly not intrusive. I welcomed the information being provided. As for the Disney songs on the PA, well, it is a Disney cruise. It was played in the common areas like hallways, lobbies and elevators and was simply background music. I loved it! It gave me that happy Disney vibe! :banana:

Maybe your friend needs to try a different cruise line. :confused3

Mary :flower:

I am not certain that I understand what your friend was referring to. There are announcements but they are few and far between. As for the music, I did not notice this either. Up on deck 9, each pool area has music at each area that is geared towards the age group of the pool. It is not as if the "It's a Small World" Is continuous playing.

Bottom line, I guess I did not notice any music other than what is up on 9

Are they playing Dinsey music again? When we went in 04/04...no Disney Music at all...felt like I was ripped off...I missed it big time....

I didn't really notice the music and to hear the announcements I had to open my stateroom door. I was afraid I would be missing something so ran to the door to hear it. It was only a few times each day. I thought they were very informative.

tawasdave said:
Are they playing Dinsey music again? When we went in 04/04...no Disney Music at all...felt like I was ripped off...I missed it big time....

Yes, we had the Disney music back on during our August 2004 cruise, it was also playing during our January 2005 cruise. I don't remember how many times I caught myself singing along to the songs as I walked the hallways. That's one of the things that makes a Disney cruise, for me, a Disney cruise. As stated before, I don't think there were too many announcements made each day, and for the most part, if you didn't want to listen to them, you can just keep your stateroom door closed.

I do not even remember hearing that many announcements on our last cruise and did not really notice the music either. We must have been having too much fun :thewave:

TJHutch said:
I do not even remember hearing that many announcements on our last cruise and did not really notice the music either. We must have been having too much fun :thewave:

I think I made it a point to listen for the music during our August 2004 cruise, because there was so much talk about Disney music not playing a few months before our cruise. I guess enough people let thier voices heard, and Disney started playing their music again.

I think the last song I remember hearing during our last cruise as I was getting off the ship was, Hi-Ho Hi-Ho, it's off to work I go...needless to say, that's not the song I really wanted to hear at that time, LOL!!! :rotfl:

Disney Music - that's actually one of my fun little memories. Going up to deck nine early one morning to get my DH some coffee and finding one of the castmembers whistling to the music as he mopped the deck. It struck me that he must truly enjoy working there to be whistling happily that early in the morning.

You can't even hear the announcements unless you open your sateroom door to listen to them most of the time....and you hear no music in your stateroom....

The public areas of the ship are divided into many zones, and there is music in each zone. The live performers (pianist in atrium, band in promenade lounge) will turn off the music when they perform and then turn it back on when they finish. It's rather funny...as you walk thru the ship you can tell where the zones start/end as the music changes.

There are a couple of PA announcements each day normally...one from the captain, and one or 2 from the cruise director. Of course, at hurricane season the captain spoke a little more often just to keep us updated. They are very brief.

None of this can be heard in a cabin with the door closed.

dlf246 said:
As we get excited for our trip, I encountered my first negative comment in discussions with friends... one said that they were annoyed by what he felt was too many PA announcements and (gasp!) getting annoyed by Disney songs playing over PA a lot.

I thought the announcements were kept to a minimum and provided good information.

I was unhappy that they did not play as much Disney music as I thought they should. It is a Disney ship after all.

The PA announcements weren't annoying. FYI, I thought we could hear them in our room, but I could be wrong. When the announcement comes on it does the lil' Disney theme song and I'd sing along, er hum perhaps, lol.

As for the Disney music in the hallways, I don't actually remember it. If anything I thought it was jazz and I love jazz so it was lovely for me!

thank you for all the excellent replies. With a DD5, we are ready for the music. My friend can stay with his silverseas/ crystal cruises!!

I loved the music on our Jan 05 Magic cruise. It was so faint as you walked down the halls but it was there and beautiful.

As I recall, the public annoucements and music can be heard in the public areas -- such as hallways -- but not in the staterooms. It was not annoying at all.

Woody

With 3 boys in our group, how was I expected to even hear music in the hallways (unless my 5 year old is singing a song he learned in the club "I don't wanna be a chicken, I don't wannna be a duck, quack, quack, quack, quack) :rolleyes1

As for the PA announcements... I too went running to the cabin door trying to hear it to make sure I didn't miss anything. :blush:

The announcements never really bothered me they actually helped me out so I knew what was going on around the ship.

The only time I heard the music was when walking through the hallways to the cabins. Also if I was near the club section of the ship during the day (when there was little going on). As far as announcements, it was kind of annoying that you couldn't hear them when you were in the cabin. It wasn't until they start making announcements that you realized you couldn't hear them then needed to sprint somewhere (out the door ) to listen and you would miss most of the announcement anyway. I think they broadcast them over the one channel on the tv but we could never remember which channel and would normally be watching cartoons when we got ready. I wish there was a switch or something that you could flick so you could hear the announcements in your cabin (once you were awake of course).

I think when they first started sailing, they would broadcast the Cruise Director's morning announcement into all the cabins. (I always remember Rick coming on each morning of our first two cruises.) I assumed they got complaints about that and stopped doing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter