PTR - The Bahamas comes to Florida!

DiannaVM

DIS Veteran
I've been musing over for a few days now to go ahead and do a trip report, so I figured maybe best to start with a pre-trip report to introduce myself! I am just hoping that by the time I do the actual trip report, I'll be able to come up with a better title lol.

Well, as some of you may already realize, my name is Dianna and I am 29, soon to be 30 (May 29th!). I can't even believe I am writing those numbers. I still feel 16 (and wish I was!), but now I am almost 30 and its freaking me out :scared1:. But I guess we all have to get old sometime lol. The rest of the gang that will be joining me on my latest expedition of the world are:
My DH :stitch2:, fellow Disney geek (though not quite at my level) and Stitch aficionado:
12080318_10153342020244965_5673860826984119716_o.jpg

(I LOVED almost all of the pictures we had taken at Epcot. That photographer did really great!)

Next up is the sister :ccat:. Tsum-Tsum collector and, dare I say, a bigger Disney geek than myself. She is co-headlining the planning and stuff of this trip. She has also been assigned as the official ADR and FP+ booker, although she is under strict directions of myself (I am a big planner, so surprise surprise, I like to say how things go). We are like best friends though, so it works out quite well for us :
12346581_10153656350421251_459813851585195687_n.jpg

Next up are my Mom:tink:and my Dad:mickeyjum. My mom by nature is a very frugal lady, but for whatever reason when it comes to WDW she is almost always ready to go. It must be in the water at my house, or she has just gotten used living with Disney fans that it has rubbed off. My Dad is the one that started it all, he is the one that has encouraged our love for Disney as much as he does:
12247130_10153631830076251_6720986186884094535_n.jpg

And last but not least are Granny P :earsgirl: and Grandpa :earsboy:, and my most favorite aunt pooh: in the world. I don't post their picture because I am not sure if they want me to blatantly put a picture of them on some forum, so we will have to wait for WDW pictures :earboy2:. This trip was actually conceived by my aunt some years ago, and after hearing about our trip to Epcot last year, my grandfather expressed how much he would like to go back (Epcot is his top priority!) As a matter of fact, my DH only went on a psuedo-honeymoon to WDW last year because I thought all that talk about a big family vacation was never going to happen. Or at least no time soon, but I am glad its happening now.

Even though it is quite a stretch to save for this trip, the random panic attacks about thinking of our new mortgage and thinking about paying for the ridiculous Disney prices (among other responsibilities) will surely be worth it. My family are a hoot to travel with (especially Granny!), so I am really looking forward to seeing what comes out of it, especially since this may be the last time we all gather there together. I dont for-see my grandparents going back after this trip, and the rest of us were there last year and now again, so my DH and mom have made my sister and I to swear off WDW for a few years.

So, welcome everyone to my Pre-Trip report. I hope you enjoy the ride and I hope to see you all at my actual trip report!

PTR Links:
1.- The Home Resort http://www.disboards.com/threads/ptr-the-bahamas-comes-to-florida.3508499/#post-55737161
2.- The Schedule http://www.disboards.com/threads/ptr-the-bahamas-comes-to-florida.3508499/#post-55757166

Last edited:
I should probably add some more meat to my PTR, so here we go:

We will be staying at the POP Century this time around. Actually this is my third time (as well as my sister's) staying at POP. The only ones who have never stayed at POP are my grandparents and my aunt. I would like to give you a little history behind my family and this resort.
Our first time staying there was in October of 2010 (I think lol. Its been a while. Maybe it was 2009). My sister and I are into punk-rock/emo bands and were even more so around that time. Since we were both working and making our own money, we were able to be a little more frivolous with it so when we heard that a few of our favorite bands would be playing at the House of Blues at Disney Springs, two days from each show, we were game. It took some convincing for my mom to let us go, but after my dad said he would come with us, she was a go.
Of course after the agreed our next step was finding somewhere to stay. We didn't have too much money, so anything budget friendly was what we looked for. That is when I found POP Century. At the time I think it was less than $75 per night for the room, and when I realized we had free transportation to Downtown Disney that was even better! We did end up renting a car (a too small of a car :laughing:) when we arrived to MCO, but we only used it to get to and from the airport and then the morning of our last day to do some shopping. It proved more convenient to use the Disney bus.
On this trip we were not planning on doing anything Disney, but when we arrived to the hotel it was too much for him and my dad offered to buy the three of us tickets to go to MK the day in between the two shows. Once the discount from the hotel was applied it made it worth it, so we cut out most of our shopping as I already mentioned. We had a great time, but we definitely missed not having mom there too.
All in all, we found so many conveniences out of staying at POP and we all loved the themeing. The value these days doesn't seem as great (maybe it just seemed that way because we were first timers), but we still to this day love POP. It was from that trip that we swore we would never stay off property again. It just isn't the same. Since that little trip I have taken one trip to Orlando (my Honeymoon) where DH and I stayed in the 80's building, and my parents and sister stayed there last year during their quick little WDW trip.

My ultimate dream is to one day stay at the Polynesian, but even if I could stay at a Moderate Resort I would be happy. However, this upcoming trip is a tight squeeze for most of us and the best we can do is POP, or otherwise stay off-property (which actually would probably work out to the same cost or more once you factor in transportation for 8). We don't even consider the All-Star hotels for a trip this long because my sister spent two nights at the All Star Movies one in January and she said it was horrible compared to POP. But for now, I am quite content going back to dear ol'POP. It helps that I know my way around it or more less. We hope to get put in a building close to the Lobby/bus stop, but we will just have to wait and see what we get. :woohoo:

pop-century-resort-00-full.jpg

So, I was just on another thread discussing touring plans for my trip, so I figured I would do the same. Here is our outline for the trip:

October 27th 2016 - Arrival Day

1. We will be arriving to MCO shortly after 12:30 p.m., and God-willing all goes well and we head to our resort on DME without a hitch.
  2. I will do advanced online check-in at Pop Century, so it shouldn't be long before we head to our rooms.
  3. Sister and I will quickly change our clothes and get ready for MNSSHP!
  4. We should hopefully be arriving to MK shortly before or at around 4 o'clock. My Dh will be with us, the rest of my family will be left to their own devices. Probably go to Walmart or something and grab some snacks and breakfast items to keep in the rooms.
105.JPG

October 28th 2016
  1. Our first full day at MK. Because there is a MNSSHP this night, we will head out of the park at 7 (or maybe even a little earlier)
  2. After MK we will head to Disney Springs for some much-needed retail therapy.
  3. ADR - Splitsville Dinner at Disney Springs
  4. Planned FP+ - Seven Dwarves Mine Train, Peter Pan & Splash Mountain
October 29th 2016
  1. Taking a break from the parks and hitting the outlets and malls around the Orlando area. The Disney outlets and stores are a must.
  2. ADR - We are visiting my DH's favorite character Stitch at Ohana's for breakfast at the Poly. We will be eating there early to get plenty of shopping time in without being too rushed.
ULLiBm8f_400x400.jpeg

October 30th 2016
  1. Breakfast at Art of Animation
  2. Depending on the success of the previous day and our afternoon visit to Disney Springs a day prior, the morning is ear-marked for visiting DS again for a few hours before heading to AK. We plan to be to AK by 2 p.m. the latest.
  3. As soon as we arrive to AK, we plan on having a late lunch/early dinner at Flame Tree BBQ. Special dinner at FTB for the new show at AK is still pending decision.
  4. Planned FP+ - Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids & Kilamajaro Safari
October 31st 2016
  1. This will be our DHS day. Hopefully I'll be able to get in the shows I missed last year like Indiana Jones and Beauty & the Beast.
  2. ADR - Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater for late lunch
  3. Planned FP+ - TSMM, unknown & unknown. Hoping for Fantasmic! for our fourth FP+.
November 1st 2016
  1. We will be hitting wonderful Epcot.
  2. My grandparents' and aunt's first time at Food & Wine, so my Grandfather is pretty excited about this one.
  3. Sister, DH and I keep trying to figure out how to do Baymax AND Joy & Sadness. So far it was decided to do Soarin' at rope drop, then Baymax and Joy & Sadness, then hit TT on single rider. Hopefully it will mean we will be headed to the showcase as its opening (if it doesnt open at the same time as Future World).
  4. ADR - La Hacienda the San Angel Inn for dinner
  5. Planned FP+ - Frozen Ever After, unknown & unknown.
  6. Today also happens to be my sister's birthday :D
032.jpg

November 2nd 2016
  1. Our Magic Kingdom full day!
  2. Really looking forward to seeing Celebrate the Magic and Wishes. My family is excited about MSEP.
  3. ADR - Be Our Guest dinner (sister's birthday dinner)
  4. Planned FP+ - Seven Dwarves, Space Mountain and unknown
castle.jpg

November 3rd 2016
  1. Come back home :sad2:

NB: These pictures without tags are not mine, so credit goes to Gluten Free Dairy Free WDW for the F&W pic and Mouse Connection for the castle pic.

Here is a little sideline to this Report that I wish I didn't have to do, but at the same time just kind of want to get it out of my system.

Taking a family Disney trip has been in the talks for years, and while everyone always seemed excited it over it, it was always treated as a dream and therefore stuff would always be thrown into it about all we would do, etc., without taking it to seriously. As I stated before, because a Disney vacation isn't cheap, I always figured it would never happen. And then, I guess due to some coaxing on my sister's behalf and the fact that my parents had just gotten back so they were still in that "Disney glow", last year everyone was in agreement that a Disney trip would take place.

The excitement over it hit fever-pitch levels from both my grandparents, my aunt and even my mom (the rest of us are always excited lol). Of course I was still cautious with my excitement until the hotel was booked, because I knew that while it was easier for some of us to afford this vacation, for others any type of big expense has to be carefully calculated. Nevertheless, despite other expenses they saw fit that they could afford to go. Even as my sister and I explained prices, etc., they decided that it was feasible.

Of course, life happens and now it seems like we are back to square one with this vacation hanging on the line. An elderly relative has run out of money to stay at the home she was in, so she is being relocated to my aunt's home for the time being until she moves up the waiting list to be at a home closer by her, which will hopefully be subsidized by the government or whatever (I am not really clear on how it works. This is in South Carolina, so when it comes to social services, etc, I am not very familiar). Although my aunt has made it clear, that if need be she will have to ask some of her church members or friends to check in on our relative (she is pretty able to do stuff on her own, but she just needs to be checked in every once in a while), my grandmother seems a little skeptical about it. Then of course, my grandmother worries that my aunt may not be able to afford the trip properly because of the added expense of having someone else staying with her.

Then we go on to problem number two. My grandfather's only living aunt has asked that my grandparents come to England to see her. She is in her 90's, so they can't really delay the trip for a different time, so they are going in July. Although they have not officially told us they want to backout of the WDW trip, I am halfway certain that they are not to far from it, and within reason. I definitely want them to go to England, so that is not the issue, but now they are talking about cutting stuff out of the Disney trip. I have no problem cutting out ADRs (Ohana and BOG are the only non-negotiable, but my family has talked about helping pay for their dinners at these two restaurants if need be). But they are also taking about cutting out park days, and as most of you know its more worth it to pay for more days than for less. My grandfather had been (and still is despite pretending he isn't) very excited about this trip and hitting Epcot, but now he is talking about staying at the pool at the resort and how we will have to push him around on a wheelchair at Epcot because that is the only place he will go to, etc. My grandmother seems more like she wants to cut out but just isnt saying anything because she sees our excitement. She insisted that their situation, whatever it may end up being, should not stop us or damper our plans, but its not the same without them.

My aunt's suggested solution to my elderly relative, is to bring her to Orlando with us and just push her around the parks, though I don't know if its going to work since it would mean booking another room, or booking elsewhere. Even my grandparents back out, the rest of us could still go, but it will be hard for most to come up with the extra cash for the two rooms that would've been covered by my grandparents' portion of the reservation.

I know all of this sounds terribly selfish, and maybe it IS coming from a selfish place but my biggest reason is this. My grandparents are well in their 70s and my grandfather had been diagnosed with cancer a year and a half ago. Although the cancer hasn't spread or grown, I would really cherish this trip because it may be the last with them. Not to mention that except for a knee issue he has which is why he made mention of the wheelchair, they are both quite mobile and could do plenty without the rest of us feeling like we are leaving them behind. I didn't really need another WDW trip, I went last year and DH was honestly not interested in going back so soon. But when this trip was brought about the excitement was more about the cherishing of memories I will be making with my family, its not all about the trip itself.

I feel bad for even feeling bad that there may be some major changes to this trip (or even a cancellation, although since DH and I already paid for non-refundable airfare tickets we may still head to Orlando, even without making a stop at Disney). I know Disney would be accommodating if I need to change reservations, but again, it won't be the trip I was looking forward to without my grandparents or my aunt. My grandmother is funny, so I know she would give us plenty to talk about and have fun over. My aunt is a theme park junkie like ourselves, so riding with her would be fun, although pretty sure my sister will be the one riding with her.

So, there it is. I don't know quite yet what is going to happen. For the time-being we are keeping all our ADRs, although we may have to end up cancelling most. As far as fp+ go, although most of the rides that require fp+ are not rides my grandparents are interested in, if they can't afford to buy their tickets when the window opens, I don't know what we will do for the popular ones that they WOULD go on, like FEA or Soarin, or even Peter Pan. I guess we will have to wait and see. :sad2::sad1:

Last edited:
So time for a little update. Finally we were able to get everyone on board, everyone is happy with the turn of events and we are all ready with our park tickets, which means in 9 DAYS we will be booking fp+!!!!

Right now life has been a whirlwind for DH and I, what with trying to get our Condo, having that process be held up because they can't get their crap together, then thinking maybe we should look for something else, etc, etc. All while we are in "moving limbo" as I call it, where we have moved out of our rental place into his parents' place, leaving our baby kitty Winnie with my parents, and basically living out of suitcases having to re-use the same clothes over and over because I packed away about 50% our clothes (basically anything that was not on hangers) in boxes. Did I mention that all my shoes are packed as well so I've been wearing the same three pairs for the past two and a half weeks? I guess shoe-wise is not a big deal, but they also all happen to be flat shoes and my feet are not happy about the lack of arch support.

Needless to say, I feel tired and worn out and so this vacation can't get here quick enough. I think DH and I in particular have earned it, and for now is the only light at the end of this tunnel we are in.

So, YES for FP+ DAY!!! :yay::banana::woohoo::stitch:

Well, here we are at little over week until d-day. A quick little recap:

-We STILL have not finished closing on our condo. Every time I see the light at the end of the tunnel something else happens and next thing we know two more weeks have passed. At this rate I am hoping we will be there by Christmas -_-
-Because we haven't moved, I had to resign myself and unpacked most of my clothes and shoes because wearing the same thing was driving me crazy. Also, my vacation clothes were packed away, so I had to get those out of the boxes
-I am all prepared for our trip and only thing left to do is actually pack my stuff. Eventhough I halfway already started lol.
-Because of Hurricane Matthew my grandparents threatened to pull out again, but they got no choice now. We have cut out several things to try best accommodate them (mostly dinner reservations at table service restaurants).
-My aunt has been fully brought up to speed and is on board for most things, one or two items that she isn't everyone else is not interested either, so those will be the few times only DH and my sister will do something.
-FP+s have been booked for weeks, but we got the unfortunate news that Dinosaur will be down during our visit :( I've only been on it once so I was looking forward to it. We have decided that as a consolation we would now get FPs for Kali River Rapids. I just hope the weather is nice enough to merit riding it since last year it was a little cool.
-Also, really bummed that MSEP is over. We were all really looking forward to it and are sad we missed it.

That is basically it...I think. My baby kitty is not such a baby anymore and I am convinced he know believes my sister is his owner and we are just random visitors that come and try to hug him up and kiss him. Even when we are there if my sister leaves the room he runs after her as if he only trusts having her around. While on vacation I am leaving him with my co-worker who has three cats. I wonder how he will manage with that since he is such a spoiled little boy :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter