PTR Oct 2010 - An Aussie returns: Back home and TR started (11/02)

If you've been following this thread, you'll have noticed that DisneyFirefly, LuvChefMic and I had a bit of chatter around Step 5 (post 33) about getting all hot and sweaty over a bike and "dusting" off the equipment.

We also thought we would eat right and try and lose some of that excess saddle bag weight that we're carrying.

Well, I've lost 0.3 kg.
any loss is a great one (& I still say you really look perfect!) but how much is that in pounds do you know ?

:cool1:
You're more determined than me :rolleyes1
I'm still dealing with the dining plan from the last trip :sad2:
evil evil strawberry shortcake :lmao:
(which I never had for long enough to photograph it)

Not to mention this stuff
Desserts at the wave
TheWavedesserttriocropped.jpg

Chef Mickey
ChefMickeyDesserts-1.jpg

and coral reef
CoralReefDessert1-1.jpg

(not mine)

CoralReefDessert2-1.jpg

(mine...with the ALCOHOL!!)

MSN-Emoticon-devil-095.gif

And YOU think I'M an evil, evil person????

You know what's comin', don't you?
MSN-Emoticon-cooking-090.gif

My Mickey pancakes!
P5280006.jpg

any loss is a great one (& I still say you really look perfect!) but how much is that in pounds do you know ?

That's about 3/4 of a pound. 1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds.

It is a universally acknowledged truth that Perfect Planning Prevents P*** (self edited) Poor Performance.
I acknowledge that I may have stolen the concept of that sentence from an Austen writer of some repute....

I know that a lot of you readers out there KNOW this...otherwise, you wouldn't be lurking about this forum. Afterall, we all spend ages reading through pages and pages of PTRs, TRs, strategies for attacking the parks; not to mention the food, accommodation and travel sub-forums.
And the most annoying thing about this forum is that we don't have access to the Cast Member section! Just think people....there is a whole subforum out there with heaps more insider information that we cannot access!! Why even advertise the fact unless the administrators (and Cast Members) are doing it deliberately for their own secret amusement???

The output of all this research is that we, ourselves, then end up drafting up reams of lists and put spreadsheets together on what park to hit on what days depending on whether you are a fan or anti EMH; where to eat and what shows to see at which park. Perfect PLANNING...people....Perfect PLANNING...that's the aim.

Me? I've been wondering about the word Planning and how many different types of PLANNERS there could be. Afterall, we ALL do our own PERFECT Planning....it's just a matter of 'to what degree'.

At the extreme, there is infinity (which at the time of writing this post = 270,914, which is the number of registered members on the FORUM. This does not include the lurkers who have yet to register!) types of planners. In existential speak, we are all individuals in our own right and our experience is purely individual.

In simplicity, there could be 4.

Here's a simple quiz to determine which type of planner you are:
1. Do you spend a lot of time on the DisBoard researching as much as you possibly can?
2. Do you have more than one type of list (e.g., top 10 to-do things; things to pack; parks to hit on which days etc...)?
3. Do you subscribe to a Disney Touring Guide cell phone application?

Let's assume that the answer to question 1 is going to be Yes 100% of the time. Afterall, if you're reading this - registered member or lurker alike - you're already in the DisBoard!

So, that leaves us with the following four options (and apologies for not representing this in pictorial form; but I haven't yet drawn this up yet):
  • Option 1. You've answered Yes to both Question 2 and Question 3.
  • Option 2. You've answered Yes to Question 2 and No to Question 3.
  • Option 3. You've answered No to Question 2 and Yes to Question 3.
  • Option 4. You've answered No to both Question 2 and Question 3.

For Option 1 types, I'm calling these the Organised Owls. These are the night birds that spend their time making sure that they schedule in EVERYTHING for the family when the tour the park. Congratulations!
bird15.gif

For Option 2 types, I'm calling these the Cool Cats. You spend your time checking out the app and tour the parks without a piece of paper in sight! Congratulations!
cat3.gif

For Option 3 types, I'm calling these the Secret Squirrels. You've got every bit of information stored away in your personal files and don't need any external influences for you to work out how to tour the parks. Congratulations.
wild6.gif

For Option 4 types, I'm calling these the Unfound Unicorns. I don't believe that they exist on the DisBoard.
zen-22.gif

Now....I just need to work out which PLANNING type I want to be for this trip before I can start my planning! Oh! The feeling of Analysis Paralysis!!

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
The germ for this post started with a post on Skier_Pete's PTR and some further chatter on the Other Lands, Australia section of this forum. I would like to thank you all for the infection!

princess::upsidedow

Congratulations on the weight loss !

I like the "what type of planner are you" options..I really don't fit in anywhere :lmao: think of me as a horse of a different color, you know from the Wizard of Oz..its a horse but everytime it came by it turned a different color.

When I first started visiting WDW there really weren't all the tools/guides there are now, certainly no phone apps & if there was anything like a Disboard around who knew :confused3

Standard book of knowledge was "Birnbaums Guide to WDW" (early 80's) it was a get in the car, fly by the seat of your pants, no ADRs, have a sort of plan but we always enjoyed ourselves, only true reservations made were The Fort. Life was really so much simpler.

As the decades have gone by fell into all the planning and then went 2-3 times a years and "knew" what I was doing & where I was going. Then when kids are no longer in the picture you do things differently.

Now living so close no real plan except an ADR a few times a year when I/we really want to eat someplace.

Of course when DD & family come its full on planning (Circle of Life eh?)

Now the Dis for me is primarily a place to gather with friends (some I have met IRL and some I hope to) I spend more time on threads having nothing to do with Disney at all. What I do like to do is answer a true "newbie" & share their excitement and assist with tips, assuring them that they won't see it all so don't stress.

So there it is:

Ruthie

Honestly, I don't know what type I'd be :confused3 I only have one packing list, no apps on my iPod, and I don't really carry lists around at the parks. Heck, I barely even carry the MAP. :lmao: I just grab the times guide and stuff it in my bag.

But when I go with someone who's not familiar with the parks, I bring the map. :)

Honestly, I don't know what type I'd be :confused3 I only have one packing list, no apps on my iPod, and I don't really carry lists around at the parks. Heck, I barely even carry the MAP. :lmao: I just grab the times guide and stuff it in my bag.

But when I go with someone who's not familiar with the parks, I bring the map. :)

sorry kid I had you pegged as Option 1 when I read this...at least with your own PTR & ADRs :lmao:

I don't really like the touring guide things. If I was going with my whole family, then yes, I'd probably do it that way, but when I'm just going by myself or with a much smaller group, I don't see the point :lmao: :)

I think I'm going to aim for legendary Unfound Unicorn for this trip...but with my OCD tendencies...I suspect that (sadly) I'm going to end up either as an Organised Owl or more likely a Secret Squirrel!

This might not be a might not be going PTR is sure taking shape!

My holiday leave has been approved by my company. party:

And to cap it off, when I double-checked the calendar to submit my leave form, I noticed a particular quirk of Victorian/Melbourne nature where the moons further aligned for me.

Did you know that Melbourne has a public holiday just for a horse race? The race is the Melbourne Cup, which is run over 3200 m (2 miles) at about 3 pm and takes about 3 1/2 minutes to run.

The whole of Australia pretty much stops for that 3 1/2 minutes...but in Melbourne - we take the whole day off.
Afterall, it is a day where a great deal of money changes hands....not all of which ends up with bookmakers. Dress Retailers, Milliners, Hairdressers, Manicurists, Caterers, Liquor Outlets...you name it! They all share in the bonanza of this day. Melbourne sure knows how to party on this day!

The race is always held on the 1st Tuesday in November.

Totally by choice, I get paid to work 3 days a week. My paid working days are Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays (I consider the other days as my non-paid working days).
So, the Melbourne Cup day holiday is one of those very rare public holiday days that I actually get to enjoy...most of the other public holidays are usually on a Monday.

Anyway, guess what? :rolleyes:

My last working day before the October trip will be Friday 22 October. And with Tuesday 2nd November being a public holiday in Melbourne, I don't go back to work until Wednesday 3rd November. :banana:

Hmmm...My conundrum?

I wonder how DH would take me suggesting that I could potentially have a couple of extra (flying solo) days to go to DLR on the way home? :rotfl2:

And to cap it off, when I double-checked the calendar to submit my leave form, I noticed a particular quirk of Victorian/Melbourne nature where the moons further aligned for me.

Did you know that Melbourne has a public holiday just for a horse race? The race is the Melbourne Cup, which is run over 3200 m (2 miles) at about 3 pm and takes about 3 1/2 minutes to run.

The whole of Australia pretty much stops for that 3 1/2 minutes...but in Melbourne - we take the whole day off.
Afterall, it is a day where a great deal of money changes hands....not all of which ends up with bookmakers. Dress Retailers, Milliners, Hairdressers, Manicurists, Caterers, Liquor Outlets...you name it! They all share in the bonanza of this day. Melbourne sure knows how to party on this day!

Totally by choice, I get paid to work 3 days a week. My paid working days are Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays (I consider the other days as my non-paid working days).
So, the Melbourne Cup day holiday is one of those very rare public holiday days that I actually get to enjoy...most of the other public holidays are usually on a Monday.

My last working day before the October trip will be Friday 22 October. And with Tuesday 2nd November being a public holiday in Melbourne, I don't go back to work until Wednesday 3rd November. :banana:

Hmmm...My conundrum?

I wonder how DH would take me suggesting that I could potentially have a couple of extra (flying solo) days to go to DLR on the way home? :rotfl2:

:lmao: That's so awesome! The day that I come home is a Friday, and that's my weekend off. I work the day before I leave (unless I use a sick day) and then I'm off the two days before that. So, if I use a sick day for the day before I leave, I'll be off for almost two weeks!

That's pretty cool that Melbourne pretty much closes down for a horse race. I don't think we have anything like that here... That I know of, anyway :)

Hmmm...My conundrum?

:lmao::lmao::lmao:
Trust me...we have been TRYING to get that day off too!!!
I remember fondly at school turning on the TV to watch the race because (yes even in primary school) there was always some money or lollies at stake having had a sweep!!! I remember I once did get the winner and a swag of lollies and choccies :woohoo:

I reckon go for it!!!
HAVE FUN!!!
Make use of the extra days ;)

Well it can be just as crazy here with the Kentucky derby and the Belmont stakes and another big one out in Ca that I just can't recall the name of BUT (even though there are mega bucks passing through hands for all of the above and a LOT of people don't go in to work) to actually have it be a holiday is unbelievable ! GOOD for you...see this trip was meant to be no doubt :thumbsup2

:lmao: That's so awesome! The day that I come home is a Friday, and that's my weekend off. I work the day before I leave (unless I use a sick day) and then I'm off the two days before that. So, if I use a sick day for the day before I leave, I'll be off for almost two weeks!

That's pretty cool that Melbourne pretty much closes down for a horse race. I don't think we have anything like that here... That I know of, anyway :)

We also used to close down for Show Day (we had the Melbourne Show where the country came to the city and we got a Show Day public holiday)....those were the good old days!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:
Trust me...we have been TRYING to get that day off too!!!
I remember fondly at school turning on the TV to watch the race because (yes even in primary school) there was always some money or lollies at stake having had a sweep!!! I remember I once did get the winner and a swag of lollies and choccies :woohoo:

I reckon go for it!!!
HAVE FUN!!!
Make use of the extra days ;)

I'd like to and it's nice to dream...but even if I could do it to DH, there is no way I could go MIA for yet another 2 days for DS!

Well it can be just as crazy here with the Kentucky derby and the Belmont stakes and another big one out in Ca that I just can't recall the name of BUT (even though there are mega bucks passing through hands for all of the above and a LOT of people don't go in to work) to actually have it be a holiday is unbelievable ! GOOD for you...see this trip was meant to be no doubt :thumbsup2

Triple Crown? Kentucky, Preakness and Belmont. My dad used to love having a bet on the horses. It's amazing what you remember, sometimes! :rotfl2:

I was thinking of the Breeders Cup...I used to watch all the time when Daddy was alive, and one of my cousins was a trainer at Belmont but after getting Maxine I look at it all differently so don't really keep up with it anymore....surprised its not a holiday in the US though, we can be a frenzied people :rotfl: thinking of Big Brown mania a few years ago I got caught up with that too I must admit

By now, any serious DisBoard planner going to WDW from 1 October to 14 November 2010 will be able to tell you what Eat to the Beat Concerts they will be rockin’ to and what Blissful Bites they are salivating over and planning on buying from the Marketplaces and Promenade at Epcot’s Food and Wine Festival.

Despite my previous post on the danger of providing our taste buds and salivatory glands with too much advance preparation on the foods that we plan to eat at the World, it would seem that about 60 – 70% of Dis-ers have already posted their hit list or countdown list for their ETTB and BB.

Me? I think for this one time, I’m going to have to succumb to that tried and true adage of “if you can’t beat them, join ‘em”. So, in keeping with the NOT style of this PTR, here’s my NOT Blissful Bites list for your comment. I appreciate that what I might (NOT) eat and my preferences may not be to everyone's liking...I only add that I ask that you keep in mind that these are my PERSONAL preferences.

Appetizing Argentina
My NOT preference has to be Mollejas (made from the thymus gland of young calves and served with lemons).

Ambrosial Australia
My NOT preference is Witchetty Grubs (which is meant to be eaten live with a very high protein content).

Beautiful Belgium
My NOT preference is Rolmops (raw herring wrapped around a pickle).

Bountiful Brazil
My NOT preference has to be Dried Black Bananas (wrinkled, dried and sweet)!

Captivating Canada
My NOT preference is Cod Tongues (deep fried cod tongues, slippery).

Charming Chile
My NOT preference is El Nachi (coagulated blood with coriander)

Choice China
There are so many options but my NOT preference has to be Dog (served any way you like).

Fit for a King France
My NOT preference is Tete de Veau (Calf’s head boiled to a gelatinous glob with the brains served on the side).

Graceful Germany
My NOT preference is Bierkase (cheese made with beer yeast).

Gratifying Greece
My NOT preference is something that a lot of you may love – Retsina (white wine made with pine resin).

Inviting Ireland
My NOT preference is Blood Pudding (pork blood with oatmeal sausage).

Indescribable Italy
My NOT preference is Casu Marvu (sheep’s cheese with live insect larvae).

Juicy Japan
My NOT preference is Fugu (poisonous puffer fish).

Mouthwatering Mexico
My NOT preference is Gusano (tequila worms).

Moorish Morocco
My NOT prefence is Khlea (meat dried in the sun and then cooked in animal fat, water and oil).

Nectarous New Zealand
My NOT preference is Hu Hu (a beetle).

Palatable Poland
My NOT preference is Nozki (jellied cow’s feet).

Piquant Puerto Rico
My NOT preference is Iguana (at least it isn't Cuy or whole Fried Guinea Pig from Peru)

Spicy Singapore
My NOT preference is Petai (a bean that smells like methane gas).

Savoury South Africa
My NOT preference is Borewors (sheep, pig, cattle intestines stuffed with offals and spiced with herbs).

Scrumptious South Korea
My NOT preference is Sannakji (Live Octopus).

Succulent Spain
My NOT preference is Criadillas (Bull testicles).

Unctuous United States
My NOT preference is Texas Rattlesnake (skinned and deep fried or grilled!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter