(PTR) Getting There Is Half The Fun - 11 People, 2 Minivans, and a 5K Mile Road Trip!

Bob! That's a fantastic change of plans. I'm so envious. I'd love a trip to Marceline.

Well, if you ever decide to visit Marceline, let us know and we'll meet you there :-)

Looks great!

Thanks!

Very cool! Hwy 36 is a good road....driven it many a time! Have fun stopping by Marceline again!

Jill in CO

That's great to know. We've only driven the section between Macon and Marceline (about 30 miles). This time, we'll most of the Missouri section. I'm looking forward to it, because the small section that we did drive was really pretty.

Woo Hoo, Marble Bob, you and your family are going on quite an adventure. I would be sooo jealous except that we will be at Walt Disney World at that same time!!! So glad you are a photographer so I will be able to see lots of pictures. Travel safe and have the best of times. Tell the Hayward family hello from us too.
XoxoX
Mimi

Thanks mom! I was thinking the same about your trip, being jealous that you'll get to try out the new Trader Sam's at WDW. Too bad we won't be in the parks the exact same day, it would be fun to Facetime each other in front of the respective castles :-)

You'll go through Amish country. Jamesport is the main hub of Amish businesses...great bakeries and shops there!

Jill in CO

Thanks for the tip!!! I've never heard of Jamesport before. And now I'm off to do a little research :hippie:

Glad to hear about your change of plan Matt - definitely think 15 minutes further is worth it .... just something nice to add on to this epic trip!

Glad to hear about your change of plan Matt - definitely think 15 minutes further is worth it .... just something nice to add on to this epic trip!

Thanks Phil!

Looks like a fun change of plans!

Thanks Cheryl!

I'm so excited for you and your big road trip! Thanks for the invite.

Thanks Mike! I think we'll be at Yosemite and Disneyland about a week or so after you. If you pick up any tips along the way, I'd love to hear them! :hippie:

I think I'm (almost) as excited to read about your trip as you are to take it. Okay, I need to get a life :rotfl2:

How I Like to Budget and Plan Our Trips

To use a quote from TheMaxRebo's PTR, "And now for something completely different!" (And the Monty Python reference didn't fall on deaf ears)....

So, we leave a week from tomorrow. Getting close now. Not much else left in the planning phase. I guess we'll move into the packing phase soon.

With a 17 day trip covering lots of destinations, meals, and activities, there's a lot of planning and estimating that's gone into this trip to ensure that we don't overspend, but still get the most bang for our buck.

I don't know how everyone else plans their vacations and general budgets, but we tend to follow the "Virtual Envelope" approach (and use an appropriate software for it), where we divvy up each of my paychecks into virtual envelopes each month (groceries, entertainment, regular bills, gasoline, clothes, emergency fund, etc. and of course.. vacation!!!) And then we tend to only spend what we have already saved in that envelope. If we are running low in the entertainment envelope, we don't go out to the movie or dinner again until the next paycheck(s). And same for vacation, we know that if we put in $X a month, then we'll have $Y available at the time of vacation -- and we typically try to stay within that amount.

So for this trip, I knew how much we would have saved before we planned to leave, and I set off to see how much stuff we could comfortably cram into that amount of money.

I'm sure that's not too different from everyone else.

So... I've seen some people who get crazy with planning their vacations on spreadsheets. The thing is, if those people are crazy, then I must be absolutely and completely nuts... I tried spreadsheets in the past, and while they are certainly helpful, I wanted something even better.

Relying on my background as a web applications developer, I decided to create a web-based application to build and track my vacation budget, as well as other various details. I never thought that I'd share this with anyone, but I've got the vacation on my mind, and not much else to do, so I figured I might as well share it :hippie:

The idea is that I you enter a start and end date for the vacation, and then you can enter planned expenses for each day in the range. You can go as detailed as you want, either just put a total that you want to spend for the day in a single entry, or break up the planned expenses as granular as you want (gas, lunch, dinner, snacks, souvenirs, attractions, lodging, etc.) I put in an amount that is planned for the expense, and the option to enter the actual amount too. So if you have a bunch of expenses entered across a week for a total of $1,000, and then you start putting actual expenses in, it will tell you if you are projected to bust your budget or come in below. That's really nice. Especially, if I planned to spend $X on food and half way through the trip, we are coming in below that, I will know how much the projected difference will be and we can splurge at the end of the trip. Or the opposite, if we are spending way more than we originally estimated, we can decide to drop an activity or have a cheaper meal.

That's the main part of the application, but I added a few other things like the ability to track events (say meeting a friend on a certain date/time or reservations or whatever). And then I added a spot to record memories for each day (the weather was? The funnies thing was? an interesting thing was? Etc.) I added a few other things, but I think I'll share a few screen shots now :-)

Here's the home page with a summary of a "Sample Trip". It has a few "reports" on the home screen. S summary of the total budget, how much has been spent, how much is remaining, etc. And then a breakdown by how the expenses are budgeted, and then finally a chart showing expenses by day.
17848013124_480b4401f9_c.jpg

Here's an example of how entering expenses works. You pick the day, and then you can add a new expense using the form, or you can edit an existing one.

18470663605_dc1afe2510_c.jpg

Here's what the memories section looks like. You can enter whatever you want for each day. This is just a bunch of sample junk text, it's fun to go back and read what we actually wrote on that day. It's a fun activity to do with the family after dinner, while we are driving in the car, or waiting in a line somewhere.

17848013074_e33f8af7ee_c.jpg

Event calendar is fairly self explanatory....

18444236296_4eec98c191_c.jpg

I've got a bunch of reports, here are couple of them...

This one shows the expenses by type and day

18470663145_8c932ec2de_c.jpg

Here's a print out of the calendar

17848012434_eefeaa5943_c.jpg

Here's a more detailed print out of each day

18472446331_d55c6e1d3c_c.jpg

OK, so yo may think that compared to using a spreadsheet, this is overkill. You might be right. But, I don't like to bring my laptop on vacation anymore. So how the heck do I interact with all that on my phone?

Yeah, I'm that crazy... Here are some of the screens that are optimized for my phone. :hippie:

17848012874_d293873d8d.jpg
18284479539_789518d66a.jpg

18470663205_5beedb4bf8.jpg
17849973153_8e7c9eba74.jpg

So, yeah, there it is. Hopefully, I didn't bore you to death, and hopefully a couple people were at least amused :drive:

Wow, I'm amazed! You truly have taken trip planning to a new level!

(You might want to look into monetizing that app...you could probably pay for your next vacation!)

Jill in CO

That is awesome! I'm kind of speechless after looking at your app!

Holy cow...is all I can say after seeing that. Very impressive!

Wow, I'm amazed! You truly have taken trip planning to a new level!

(You might want to look into monetizing that app...you could probably pay for your next vacation!)

Jill in CO

Thanks for the compliments everyone. This has been a pet project for a while now, and it still has a ways to go, but it's certainly useful as-is :hippie:

I love the depth of your planning. I agree about the app idea!

wow, that is really impressive Matt! And I thought I was pushing things by coding a few macros into my planning spreadsheets :rotfl2:

We tend to go with the budget planning of "do the best you can and realize something like the kitchen being destroyed throwing the whole budget our of wack is going to happen" method .... it's a bit less exact than yours ;)

I love the depth of your planning. I agree about the app idea!

wow, that is really impressive Matt! And I thought I was pushing things by coding a few macros into my planning spreadsheets :rotfl2:

We tend to go with the budget planning of "do the best you can and realize something like the kitchen being destroyed throwing the whole budget our of wack is going to happen" method .... it's a bit less exact than yours ;)

Congratulation! I need that app or program. I'm still running on excel!!

That looks like an awesome tool!

Thanks everyone!

It's hard to believe that we leave in 3 days. Pickle turns 8 today, so we'll have a fun evening celebrating with her. And then I guess we'll start packing tomorrow and Thursday. Getting close now!!!! Yahoo!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter