PTR-Cheating on Mickey w/Harry!...OMG! Only a month to go!

So this has nothing to do with my WDW trip, but I will keep it Disney related! We have made our Christmas plans. It's been probably four or five years since we have visited my parents for Christmas, and at least two or three years since we have even been to my parent's house.

We split the holidays with my sister's family. Whoever gets my parents for Thanksgiving is on their own for Christmas. However, we weren't able to make it up to my parents at Christmas for our turn in 2008 as that was when my FIL broke his pelvis and had to go home with 24-7 caregivers. At the last minute my parents had to come down here, because we couldn’t leave town with him adjusting to someone living with him. I guess that last time we were up there was 2006 which was seven months after my MIL passed.

Anyways, so we have plans. We will leave Long Beach on December 23rd and drive up the coast to San Luis Obispo. I have friends from High School who live near there (about 20 minutes away) who have invited us over for dinner. They also invited us to stay but Fran prefers to stay at a hotel, plus we get the hotel free on Hilton points :banana:

On the 24th we’ll finish the drive to my parents house in Saratoga (outside San Jose). My mom will pick up Dungeness Crabs for dinner on Christmas Eve, and they’ll be ordering The Sorcerer’s Apprentice and Alice in Wonderland from Netflix for our viewing please over the next few days. My Dad has this cool “TV” which is actually a projection screen that rolls down out of the ceiling. It takes up one whole wall in the Living Room, so it’s almost like a movie theater.

Christmas morning we’ll probably make waffles or something else yummy for breakfast and open the limited presents we’ve exchanged. My mom liked the suggestion of going to see Tangled in the early afternoon. We’re planning on Prime Rib for dinner and we’ll probably enjoy a nice Red Wine from my cellar, before settling back into the home theater for another movie.

Sunday the 26th Fran and I have plans to visit the Oakland Museum where they are hosting an exhibit on Pixar. The Press release from April 2010 reads:

“At the heart of PIXAR are the concept drawings, sketches, paintings, and maquettes created by Pixar artists over the past 25 years to bring to life the compelling characters and stories that have enchanted moviegoers of all ages around the world. Drawing on work from Pixar's eleven feature films and many of its short films, the exhibition spans some of the studio's first short films created in the 1980s; its first feature-length film, Toy Story, the first fully computer-animated feature film ever produced; Pixar's recent Academy Award-winning feature Up; and its latest film, Toy Story 3, to be released this summer. PIXAR will showcase more than 500 artifacts, including many of the pencil drawings; paintings in acrylic, gouache, and watercolor; and sculptures that form the backbone of the computer-generated images (CGIs) for which Pixar has become internationally recognized. The exhibition also includes video interviews with artists and behind-the-scenes footage of Pixar's creative process.”

On Monday the 27th we’ll be heading up to the City (San Francisco for those who don’t know Bay Area lingo, locals don’t call it “Frisco”) to see the Walt Disney Family Museum. We have a 12:00 entrance time, and we will most likely spend the entire afternoon perusing the museum, which chronicles his life from boyhood until after his death with the many projects that he never saw to completion, such as EPCOT, Cal Institute of the Arts, and of course the whole of WDW. Following our museum visit, we’ll most likely have dinner out somewhere. Though my mom and I spoke last night at great length, I don’t think we made any decisions on where we will be dining, so I’ll have to follow up.

On Tuesday we’ll start our journey back to home via a totally different route, the Central Valley. Our destination will be Tulare, never heard of it…it’s a small town outside Visalia, never heard of that, well it’s a few hours north of Bakersfield…surely you’ve heard of THAT! There are tons of little towns in the Central Valley that most people have never heard of…some are made up of just a few houses and you don’t realize you’ve passed through them they go by so quickly.

Tulare is a reasonable sized town, they have stoplights and two lane (each way) roads, and chain restaurants and grocery stores. You think I’m being funny! I LIVED in Taft when they got their first stop light and their first Mc Donald’s, BIG NEWS! We had to drive through the stop light in every possible direction, and use the left turn arrow on the two directions that we could. The line at the McDonald’s…out the door opening day! And this is a town with a pretty small population.

But I digress. We have a dear friend who lives in Tulare, she was there for us in some very difficult times and we like to think that we were there for her in some of her times of need. We hope to take her to WDW on the next trip (after the one that this PTR is for). We’ll meet her new furbabies and see the apartment that she moved into earlier this year, we’ll have some dinner and catch up. We’ll probably have brunch on Wednesday before we leave town, and head back to Southern California.

Oh WOW! Your road trip sounds fun! And then you get to visit the Pixar exhibition AND WD family museum. The family museum is on my hit list.

Don't laugh...I've stayed a night in Visalia; on the way to Sequoia National Park. I must say that I don't remember Tulare but if it has stoplights; chances are we didn't see it.

The Dis might be a very quiet place over Christmas/New Year...

Sounds like a great Christmas trip. Someday we'll get down to the City to see the Disney Museum, I've been wanting to go since it opened and it's not like it's that far from us (just a couple of hours). Your description of Tulare made me laugh as our town was the same way when it got it's first stoplight and McDonalds back in the 70s.:laughing:

Have fun visiting everyone on your trip!

The Dis might be a very quiet place over Christmas/New Year...

Actually my folks house was remodeled (totally gutted) in the last eight years, and now every room is wired with an Ethernet connection so we're always connected up there!

Congrats on Fran being able to go on rides again!!! When you can enjoy the things you love doing, it makes all the surgeries worth while. Even more to look forward to on your WDW trip!

Sounds like you will have a very nice Christmas. Enjoy, and have a Happy & Healthy New Year! :hug:

So we're on our Christmas road trip. We just went through Paso Robles and the GPS says we'll reach our destination at 12:44, as long as we don't stop! '
:rotfl2:

We had a hellish time getting out of LA. We left Long Beach at 12:30 PM and our GPS said we'd arrive at our lunch spot by 2:00. :sad2: More like 3:30 and we hadn't even left LA County yet!

We drove in bumper to bumper traffic for another hour, until we could finally travel at full speed. By this time our estimated arrival had slipped from 4:58 to 6:29. We had dinner plans at the home of two of my friends from HS who became sweethearts, married and are now raising two young boys. We had hoped to check into our hotel, and head back the 20 minutes to their house after getting settled in, but it was not going to happen.

They fixed a lovely dinner, we enjoyed some good wine and conversation. For me one of the amusing discussions of the evening was trying to explain "rope drop" to a six and eight year old who had never been to Disney anywhere near opening. "What do they drop on you?" "I thought everything dropped and we all fell down." Since I've never had kids, I never thought about how their minds work.

We checked into our hotel around 10PM and were dressed and having breakfast by 7:30 this morning. Since I started this post, we've made it all the way past Soledad and are nearing Salinas. Since we're making such good time, we're going to stop and do some shopping. Tonight we'll have Dungeness Crab for dinner and watch the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

Glad you guys made it there safely! Merry Christmas! :santa:

Well we aren't technically there yet. Just left the outlet mall. I scored! :banana: 4 dresses for $120! Three fancy and one denim. I also got some strapless undergarments to wear with my sexy new dresses. I also got a Coach handbag on supersale, which retailed for more than those D&B bags that I know a couple of you ladies are sporting!

Yay shopping! :yay:

Merry Belated Christmas!!

We have been snowed in here in NYC. Our *lovely* mayor has had sanitation clear his street very nicely, as well as all the tourist areas of Manhattan. What about the 4 outer boroughs (Brooklyn where I am, Queens, Staten Island, Bronx)? Has he forgotten that we make up a HUGE part of NYC residents too? And we pay the same city taxes as Manhattan residents? And we do ALL our shopping in NYC? So we have been home since Sunday. Didn't get to go to our Xmas celebration out on Long Island. Our friend is a nurse and worked on Xmas day so we were planning to go out there on the 26th, and couldn't. Her daughter just got engaged too, and she called us and told us by phone. It would have been better to find out in person, but oh well.

OK, I will stop complaining now, sorry.

I'm glad your trip has been nice and safe too! Have a Happy, Healthy New Year!!

Sorry to hear about that. I'm so glad I don't live where it snows! I have a friend in central NJ who was telling me about needing to shovel tons of snow. We're on our way home,and should be there in a couple hours. Hopefully the rain will be past. We're just passing through Bakersfield.

Ugh, bonnie sorry to hear about the snow! Sometimes I wish we would get snow here (the last time it snowed was in 1999) then I look at the horrific snowstorms that you guys get and am soo thankful for the fog and cold.

Allison, what way did you guys take to get back home? Did you take the 5 all the way back or the 99?? Our little town is right off the 99! :thumbsup2

Sounds like you came aways with some great buys at the outlet! My friend and I want to plan a trip to the Camarillo outlets, since she said they're the best! Gilroy is nice too!! Tulare has an outlet but it's kind of small...I guess that can be a good thing for me since I'd be broke every month! :rotfl2:

Allison, what way did you guys take to get back home? Did you take the 5 all the way back or the 99?? Our little town is right off the 99! :thumbsup2

Yes we did take the 99 all the way from the 152...what is the name of your little town? I've possibly been there, I've traveled a lot through the Central Valley.

Yes we did take the 99 all the way from the 152...what is the name of your little town? I've possibly been there, I've traveled a lot through the Central Valley.

Aawww you went RIGHT passed us! Tulare! We have about 5 exits and that it!! Could have had a Dismeet!!!

You must have missed the part in my outlining the trip where we were STAYING at the Hampton Inn because we were visiting a friend who lives across from the cemetery (Sr housing). Her husband is buried there. I don't want to go on all about it now and spoil my surprises...:lmao:

So we’re back home from our Christmas Road Trip, but I wasn’t able to upload any pictures to Photobucket, so I didn’t post anything after the first day. We had a lovely Christmas Eve dinner, but after four bottles of wine between us, we decided not to watch a movie and just go to bed. We woke up Christmas morning fairly early (around 6:00AM), but I wanted to take advantage of the Jacuzzi tubs that my parents have in all their bathrooms (which I did every morning while we were there). Once I finished I crawled back into bed and fell asleep for another ½ an hour or so.

One of my “goals” was I wanted to make my Breakfast Pot Pie recipe. It’s really rich and filling so I only do it for special occasions. One makes it by mixing thawed shredded potatoes with an egg and pressing them into a ramekin to form a crust. Once the crust is browned, crack one or two eggs (depending on the size of your ramekin) into the ramekin and then spoon in a mixture (Cream of Chicken Soup, milk, green onions, basil and mustard) around the egg(s), and top it with a mixture of breakfast meat, breadcrumbs and melted butter. Bake for 20 minutes or until the whites are set, and Voila! This is what you get!

DSC01163.jpg

We decided that we were going to see Tangled that day so we needed to be at the movie theater by 12:30, it was already 11:00AM so we delayed opening our presents until after the movie, and got ready to go. It was such a cute movie! I recommend that everyone see it. We returned home and opened our limited presents, but they were fun. I got a wine foil cutter, some bath salts, chocolate Santa, a book about Napoleon’s cook, a bunch of bags (grocery type & back packs) and bath towels.

Here are some blurry pics from the presents

WP_000027.jpg

WP_000029.jpg

For Dinner we made a Prime Rib, and my pictures suck. When I make a prime rib I cut up pieces of garlic and put them all over the outside of the prime rib with toothpicks.

table.jpg

Roast.jpg

It comes out wonderfully infused with garlic without a totally overwhelming flavor. We also had potatoes, broccoli, mushrooms, waldorf salad, and béarnaise sauce…. Sorry the pictures are blurry they are all taken from my cell phone…

Crudite.jpg

WP_000038.jpg

WP_000039.jpg

WP_000041.jpg

PC260006.jpg

PC260008.jpg

PC260004.jpg

WP_000042.jpg

WP_000043.jpg

WP_000045.jpg

After Christmas Dinner all we could do was go to bed!

Just started reading your trip report, it looks like you are going to be having a wonderful time.

I can't wait to see WWoHP, I am such a big fan of the books. That is great that you are going to go to Discovery Cove. We are planing to go there as well, I know that it is expensive but everything I have read says that it is worth the cost.

I am glad that you had a good Christmas, your pictures of food look mouth watering, I only just had dinner and I am getting hungry again.

Talking of pictures, I love that you are filling your PTR with pictures of things you are going to do, it makes it so much more interesting.

Me and my DBF are planning on visiting the world in September 2011, there is so much to plan I am getting a little overwhelmed. It is nice to look at other peoples plans and see what tips you can collect. You mentioned the wishes dessert party. I looked it up and it seems like such a good idea. Might have to add that to our trip as well.

The only problem with reading other peoples TR is that I start to get too many ideas and the holiday spirals out of control :rotfl:

I can't wait for more updates, feel free to follow along with my PTR it is only small at the moment, but will grow with more definite details.

Happy New Year.

You're pics are making me hungry!:lmao: Sounds like you had a good time.

Tomorrow begins our packing for our trip, wish me luck that I fit into our suitcases. Today I need to make at least 4 pans of lasgna for our NYE party so I better get busy.

Just started reading your trip report, it looks like you are going to be having a wonderful time.

I can't wait to see WWoHP, I am such a big fan of the books. That is great that you are going to go to Discovery Cove. We are planing to go there as well, I know that it is expensive but everything I have read says that it is worth the cost.

I am glad that you had a good Christmas, your pictures of food look mouth watering, I only just had dinner and I am getting hungry again.

Talking of pictures, I love that you are filling your PTR with pictures of things you are going to do, it makes it so much more interesting.

Me and my DBF are planning on visiting the world in September 2011, there is so much to plan I am getting a little overwhelmed. It is nice to look at other peoples plans and see what tips you can collect. You mentioned the wishes dessert party. I looked it up and it seems like such a good idea. Might have to add that to our trip as well.

The only problem with reading other peoples TR is that I start to get too many ideas and the holiday spirals out of control :rotfl:

I can't wait for more updates, feel free to follow along with my PTR it is only small at the moment, but will grow with more definite details.

Happy New Year.

Welcome! :welcome: Sounds like we may have a few ideas in common. You two will have a magical time! You should check out PrincessInOz's report if you haven't already been subscribing to her reports. She travels to the US quite a bit and has some great tips for Aussies that are very helpful. I can't believe the amount of red tape you folks have to go through to come visit! I'll be over to your PTR in just a moment!

You're pics are making me hungry!:lmao: Sounds like you had a good time.

Tomorrow begins our packing for our trip, wish me luck that I fit into our suitcases. Today I need to make at least 4 pans of lasgna for our NYE party so I better get busy.

I can't believe your trip is just around the corner. :banana: Sounds like an awesome experience!

4 pans of Lasagna for tonight, and you are just starting! :scared1: We're going to Disneyland for NYE, but I think we will safely escape the crowds. ;)

Fantastic looking dinner....now I'm hungry for Breakfast.

Did you enjoy Tangled? It doesn't start in Oz til Jan 6.

Happy New Year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter