• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PTR: And now for something completely different - a WDW Family does DLR *(new October 9th)*

I'm a little late in responding, but I like the revised plan! :thumbsup2

You probably already know this, but on your arrival day, make sure that you reserve some time to explore the Disneyland Hotel lobbies. The main lobby has a cool display (sort of tucked back in the left (if you are entering from the pool side.)) The display has lots of cool memorabilia and collectibles. There are lots of old photos in the lobby area too. (Of course, you could save this for your Steakhouse 55 breakfast too. And make sure to get a photo of the kids in the Autopia car in the lobby area just outside of Steakhouse 55.) When we stayed at DLH in 2013, they had characters out in front of the pool (main lobby exit) fairly frequently. Keep your eyes open when you arrive, as it would be a nice way to kick of the festivities for your kids! And make sure you go inside the lobby of the Frontier Tower, as it has a cool model of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. This shouldn't be missed!!!

Thanks Matt! Definitely planning to have time to explore the DLH and thanks for the suggestions for specific areas to look at. The plan is to definitely leave time for the Saturday morning when we go over for the Steakhouse 55 breakfast but given the number of things we should check out we will try to make some time that first day as well. Good note about there somtimes being characters out by the pool - that would be fun to have an impromptu meet & greet there :thumbsup2

Maybe others responded about FP for Radiator Springs Racers, but it seemed like they were running out of them around 11am when we were there in June. And even then, you might be getting one for very late in the evening, which could work great with your first night plan's to see the lights come on at Cars Land. Or it might conflict with your WoC plans, if you save it for the last night. You might do some research to see what time you could safely wait to get them. Otherwise, you might run over early and get FP's while the others are finishing breakfast on that first day, seeing Mickey and the Magical Map (on the last day), or something... (I did that once on our 2013 trip, where I left my family in Disneyland to grab FP's at CA and then I came back. It might have cost me 20 or 30 minutes total (and a bit of sweat), but not too big of a deal.)

I am hoping crowds will be a little lower in October than in June but good to know that by 11 already some issues with getting FP for RSR. Maybe I'll just plan to run over and get some earlier in the morning after breakfast and a few rides - maybe when the kids need a snack or bathroom break.

You HAVE to ride the Matterhorn. As you know, they don't have FP's so you should probably get in line for it fairly early in the morning, as the line gets long pretty quickly. Noting that you might have Plan A and Plan B. On our last trip, we started at DL on two different mornings. On the first day, we planned to hit the Matterhorn first. It had technical difficulties and took about 1.5 hours until it was running again. And on the second day, we made a mad dash (with extra magic hour) to hit Space Mountain first and it was down for about 45 minutes. Luckily, it was easy enough to come up with plan B's and it wasn't a big deal... other than being annoying.

I understand that the Matterhorn has a single rider line so figure that can be an option as well as not sure how many others in my family will want to ride - definitely want to get on it to experience it at least once.

Also, make sure you don't miss out on the Storybook Canal boats. It's a slow loader, so you might consider that for fairly early in the morning too.

I could go on and on... But your current revision looks pretty darn good!!!! Hopefully, the crowds will be in your favor and you'll be able to mostly follow that plan. It was super busy when we were there in June and there is no way that we'd have been able to get everything in as you have it. I think your agenda would have worked pretty well for our October 2013 trip...

:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:

I am starting to think that we might just head to the Canal boats as our first ride during magical mornings our second day. Seems like everyone heads to Peter Pan so hoping but going elsewhere to another slow loader will make sense.

I definitely think we will prioritize what we want to see and hopefully we will get at least all of that in - but we shall see. Thanks for the feedback and looking forward to reading the details about your recent trip there!

That's a tough call! I understand your reasoning, but I'm not sure that I'd personally do Canal boats first. It's a bit longer of a ride than some of the other fantasyland attractions, so I might put it at number three or four. Get the faster (but slow loading rides) out of the way first, and try and hit this before the first hour is up. Or something like that.... Just my two cents :-)

Actually have been meaning to PM you about potential meet-up plans. If you are able to be in the area that would be so great. Was thinking if you were in the area earlier that week we could meet up at DTD on Tuesday evening, but yeah, even for a few minutes on Friday would be great!

I'm hoping that we can get down there earlier in the week too and from there go down to San Diego then back up to Disneyland that Saturday for the family meet up. But i'll definitely let you know!:thumbsup2

I saw a link to order them after the celebration and I ordered 3. One I plan to use in a Disneyland 60th anniversary basket for next years Hershey meet, one I want to keep - but that does mean I have 1 extra :rolleyes1

Immediately after I replied, I went to the OC Register page and saw they were still selling them so grabbed 3 myself. Thanks for the offer :goodvibes:goodvibes

I am starting to think that we might just head to the Canal boats as our first ride during magical mornings our second day. Seems like everyone heads to Peter Pan so hoping but going elsewhere to another slow loader will make sense.

Just as a FYI: IIRC Storybookland Canal Boats isn't open during MM/EMH (in additional to it being a slow loader). If you're skipping Peter Pan, then I'd say go directly to Alice :ccat:

That's a tough call! I understand your reasoning, but I'm not sure that I'd personally do Canal boats first. It's a bit longer of a ride than some of the other fantasyland attractions, so I might put it at number three or four. Get the faster (but slow loading rides) out of the way first, and try and hit this before the first hour is up. Or something like that.... Just my two cents :-)

Just as a FYI: IIRC Storybookland Canal Boats isn't open during MM/EMH (in additional to it being a slow loader). If you're skipping Peter Pan, then I'd say go directly to Alice :ccat:

Thank you for the thoughts - that's definitely the type of info I am in need of! So I think unless the PP line surprisingly isn't too bad we will hit up things like Alice and other dark rides that are open during MM and look to target Canal boats as soon as they open! :thumbsup2

I'm hoping that we can get down there earlier in the week too and from there go down to San Diego then back up to Disneyland that Saturday for the family meet up. But i'll definitely let you know!:thumbsup2

Immediately after I replied, I went to the OC Register page and saw they were still selling them so grabbed 3 myself. Thanks for the offer :goodvibes:goodvibes

Definitely hope something works out - like you said even if just for a few minutes on the esplanade

Good to know they still had copies available - glad you got some!

Your Disneyland plans look good even with the changes no fantastic might not be ideal but it's ok!

My real reason for posting is to say I just got back from SD and wanted to point out a few items if you don't mind :)

Balboa park was pretty cool and if you have time might be a fun activity!

Also I ate at Cafe 21 for brunch in the Gaslamp and I recommend it! Do you like bloody Mary's? They were really good! Also food was good too! Also they have mimosa or sangria flights.

I had dinner at double standard which was pretty good too. And out of the three dinner places I went probably the most kid friendly.

Last trip we went to Hote Del Coronado to watch the sun set we skipped it this trip but I would recommend that, live music and very kid friendly.

Last edited:
Your Disneyland plans look good even with the changes no fantastic might not be ideal but it's ok!

My real reason for posting is to say I just got back from SD and wanted to point out a few items if you don't mind :)

Balboa park was pretty cool and if you have time might be a fun activity!

Also I ate at Cafe 21 for brunch in the Gaslamp and I recommend it! Do you like bloody Mary's? They were really good! Also good was good too! Also they have mimosa or sangria flights.

I had dinner at double standard which was pretty good too. And out of the three dinner places I went probably the most kid friendly.

Last trip we went to Hote Del Coronado to watch the sun set we skipped it this trip but I would recommend that, live music and very kid friendly.

Thank you for your input - very much appreciated. The two restaurants you mention look really good! We do need something for arrival night so I think that double standard might fit - have to check in with Judi's friend to see what the plans are. Would be cool to get to see the sunset from Hote Del Coronado ... have to see if we can fit that in

Thanks again!

I've never been to DL (at least not yet - hoping for next May), but your plans looks great to me. Glad you were able to get everything figured out around the Halloween Party. I bet its an amazing party at DL. How fun!

Love the People mover T- shirt!

Your revised plans look great!

You mentioned the ease of park hopping at DL and that is so true. When I went to DL, it was July 2008 and I was by myself the majority of the first day while Michael had a business meeting. I walked from park to park collecting FPs and when Michael finally met me we were able to walk on everything with the FPs I had collected. At least back then, you didn't have to wait the 2 hours to collect a new one if they were from different parks.

No DL expertise here but just checking in! The rework of your plans and spreading out of ADRs sounds like a good plan. Sorry that you're going to be missing Fantasmic! :(

Looks like your planning is coming along well. Sorry you'll have to miss Fantasmic, but you're making the right choice in seeing DL Forever and Paint the Night. Just a little over 2 months away!

Subbing to learn from your planning - I'm also planning our first DL trip and feeling like a total newbie - so many things to figure out!

I've never been to DL (at least not yet - hoping for next May), but your plans looks great to me. Glad you were able to get everything figured out around the Halloween Party. I bet its an amazing party at DL. How fun!

Love the People mover T- shirt!

Thanks - yeah, some year we need to do a Halloween party at some Disney location. I think when the kids get a bit older as even Olivia gets scared a lot - she is find with big roller coasters but scary stories get her so I think things like the parade would really freak her out. And she isn't into meeting villains, so given the extra cost I just don't think it is worth it for us. Some time though.

Your revised plans look great!

You mentioned the ease of park hopping at DL and that is so true. When I went to DL, it was July 2008 and I was by myself the majority of the first day while Michael had a business meeting. I walked from park to park collecting FPs and when Michael finally met me we were able to walk on everything with the FPs I had collected. At least back then, you didn't have to wait the 2 hours to collect a new one if they were from different parks.

Thanks! I definitely think we will do a bit of that - especially to ensure we get at least one ride on RSR. Though in reading the update Judi alerted me to the fact that she would likely be the one to "run" for the fastpasses as she actually goes to the gym and, you know, runs. Whereas I would meander and probably get distracted and/or lost :rotfl:

No DL expertise here but just checking in! The rework of your plans and spreading out of ADRs sounds like a good plan. Sorry that you're going to be missing Fantasmic! :(

Thanks - yeah, a little bummed the the more I talked to Judi about it and explained what the difference where between the Fantasmic! at WDW and DLR she really didn't seem to think it a big deal to miss it. So it is what it is, and if this is the last thing that doesn't work out for us I will be exceedingly happy with our trip ;)

Oh and Nate is going to LOVE the Disney jokes pages - thanks!

Hope he enjoyed them! If you have any to add please let us know as Olivia loves them! We keep thinking of a ton utilizing "Minnie"

Q: What is Mickey's favorite state?
A: Minnie-sota

Looks like your planning is coming along well. Sorry you'll have to miss Fantasmic, but you're making the right choice in seeing DL Forever and Paint the Night. Just a little over 2 months away!

Thanks! yeah, I think it if it one or the other it's a no brainer and while maybe we could fit it all into one night it just isn't worth it given that we have seen Fantasmic! in WDW, and while I know it isn't the same and I would love to see the Peter Pan scene, just have to make Pain the Night the priority

I know! Only about a week away from being able to make ADRs!!!

Subbing to learn from your planning - I'm also planning our first DL trip and feeling like a total newbie - so many things to figure out!

:welcome: Thanks for joining and hope it helps some! I understand where you are coming from and in some ways it is even weirder than for planning something totally different as in some ways things are familiar/similar and in other ways it's totally different and it just throws you off

When are you thinking of going?

I am jumping on board! I am looking forward to learning from your experiences as well. We really hope to do a DLR trip once our little guy gets a bit older. Our dream would be to do the ABD Backstage Magic tour but if we can just pull ourselves away from WDW and make it out to DLR, it'll be a miracle! I have plenty to catch up on since I am a little late to your PTR so I am looking forward to reading more. :)

Ok I have major catching up to do. I give you credit for your dedication after baby #3! And also for the trips with the baby. I can't believe how long it has been since I've been on the boards. I pan to re read your report from WDW and the DL pre trip and catch up when the older kids go back to school to try to build my confidence that a November trip for us with the 4 month old is doable. It's my only time to travel non peak since I go back to teaching in January. We also want to DCL next August. And since I'm not working for four months I feel like we are flushing $$$$$$. #Disneyproblems

Been gone the whole month of July between taking a small family vacation to Wisconsin Dells and taking Jaden to the Junior Olympics in Virginia I am just now playing catch up. First I have to say where did the time go???? It seems as your baby girl was just born!!!! A year??? Already???? Second I feel for you and having to change your plans. That can be hard on people like us that plan a year in advance planning every detail. I think you did a fabulous job with your new schedule!!! Getting so close for your guys!!!

Jumping on to your thread! Excited to see what you've planned and what you and your family will be visiting at DLR.

It's so different that WDW, but it's the original. Walt walked there. Very cool.

Wanting to know how your plan goes. We are WDWers and this will be our first time to the Land. Going in March. Will you post your trip report here or will you link your trip report here?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter