PTR: A Spring Fling on the Dark Side ...2 Muggles Celebrate in Diagon Alley!

Just found your TR - just in time as I too am headed to Universal in May. Awesome to see a few of my fellow Canucks on here also planning Universal trips!! Plus, I always love your deal-hunting tips.

So.....we are now officially exactly 8 weeks from departure :woohoo: .

Right on cue, our car rental rate dropped noticeably this morning to $147 for the 8 days (full size, still with Dollar). That beats my former $165 by a tidy margin. Even nicer, if I book that rental through the RBC Rewards site (my bank) I can get the same rental for $1 less and in Canadian funds. Considering I'd be paying about 25% in exchange and conversion fees, that's an additional $40 savings in my pocket.
I didn't realize you could sometimes get better car rental rates through RBC Rewards. I usually sit and apply what feels like a thousand discount codes to find killer deals. I don't currently bank with RBC...but I could :) I've been eyeing getting one of their rewards credit cards. Just waiting for a good bonus offer.

Looking forward to going back to Universal as we haven't been since 2011. My son is looking forward to getting on all the big coasters. He enjoyed Manta and Kraken when we were at Sea World 2 years ago so he should have a good time. I've told him I'm really looking forward to us all going to see Barney so we can sing 'If all the raindrops were lemon drops and gumdrops'. Somehow he doesn't seem too keen! Anyone else want to join me? "Standing outside with my mouth open wide ..."
:flower:

"Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah...." My son was a massive Barney fan when he was a tiny tyke. We must have owned about 20 of those videos which we watched endlessly all day long every day. I haven't told him yet - but I am SO going to drag him to watch the Barney show! He is going to completely die of mortification - but I sure can't wait to see Barney live ROFL!

Tentative plans call for lunch at Earl of Sandwich….we want to see if it lives up to all the Disboards hype.
Oh yes it does. Yum, yum, and triple YUM! I make every effort to go whenever I can. The Holiday Sandwich is my absolute favorite - I've tried other versions of it in other gourmet sandwich shop, and nothing has beat the Earl yet. The DtD location is just extra yummy too :)

I have to admit a deep, dark secret...my family doesn't care for Potter. Why, oh why are we going to Universal? I finally forced the family to sit down and watch a couple of Potter movies over the weekend. DH insisted on starting with the last one (what can I say? Male brain). My son bailed on this one. Then we watched the first one and after some pleading, my son joined us. Both movies were punctuated with me squealing "Diagon Alley is going to look just like that. We're going to be on that Hogwarts Express! THAT'S why there is a dragon on top!!". Overall, the first Potter movie went over better with my family (not so dark). That said, I think the first and last movies will give us a good enough background and we are not planning to watch any more.

I am a bit nervous about taking the family to Universal Studios (and I'm already planning to upgrade to Annual Passes!) based on last weekend - but given that we are big theme park fans, I really think we will end up having a blast as long as my kids don't end up with nightmares every night LOL!

Anyway, what do you all suggest should be next on the "family movie night" list? Maybe ET? And of course, we will have to re-watch Spidey and Transformers.

I think those crowd levels look great! Just looking at Easywdw's calendar for May and he is showing 4s and 5s. Those are for Disney but Universal sort of goes along with that barring any special events IME. I think you're in for a good week. You have the Express Passes for after 4 pm too I think?

Yes, we do indeed have the after-4 pm Express. That's making me relax a little. Nice to know if things get busier than expected we can really maximize our evening hours ::yes:: .

I looked at different options for tickets but ended up buying Universal 2 park 14 day tickets. We are definitely going for 2 days but I'm also hoping to do the evening of arrival day and an extra evening. A ticket company I've used before price matched with a 5% code from another company. This meant I got each ticket for £119.40. At this stage I only needed to pay £40 deposit. This worked out cheaper than buying the 2 day with 1 day free offer from Undercover Tourist.

Looking forward to going back to Universal as we haven't been since 2011. My son is looking forward to getting on all the big coasters. He enjoyed Manta and Kraken when we were at Sea World 2 years ago so he should have a good time. I've told him I'm really looking forward to us all going to see Barney so we can sing 'If all the raindrops were lemon drops and gumdrops'. Somehow he doesn't seem too keen! Anyone else want to join me? "Standing outside with my mouth open wide ..."

:flower:

Oh, no you don't.....don't get my mind whirling with Barney songs ("clean up, clean up, everybody everywhere, clean up, clean up, everybody do your share" ... ) . :scared1: Its like it was YESTERDAY!!!

It will be awesome for you to have the flexibility of so many days on your tickets. Then you can just drop in for a few hours whenever you feel like it! :thumbsup2

Following along! We get there the day you leave, but it will be fun to read someone else's plans for the same time of year

Welcome aboard! Not too long to go for you then, either. The countdown is on! :banana:

Wahoo to no snow, only rain and sun this week. I think the expected crowds seems fine. Do the not so crowded things until your express pass feature is active. I'd try to do at least one rope drop, just to see the park when it generally is the least crowded.

It's creeping up day by day. I am patiently waiting for SW to open for December too. Kinda not sure the rates, but what I've seen so far, I am not impressed. Just dropped my rental car by $30 by cancelling and rebooking. So, I will keep hoping for lower and lower rates. At least I know the most I will be paying.

We'll probably do at least two rope drops, hopefully 4 ("the plan" it to make rope drop on our four scheduled open-to-close days). Depends on how tired us old folks get as the week goes on :rolleyes1 .

I have our October car rental tentatively booked as well, but its almost $300 so I am virtually certain I will do WAY better than that, especially when we only need a full size car again. We'll book for the Christmas trip as soon as we have flights booked....but we'll need an SUV or minivan for the four of us. That rental is going to hurt, I'm afraid. I might be Hotwiring again in the weeks before the holidays!

Hi Gina,

Just catching up on your latest plans. I'm so so so glad you and Steve are going to 4 Rivers. You (and especially Steve!) are going to LOVE it. I took my husband there for lunch one day after he started working in Downtown Orlando, and he almost drooled right on the tray!

Steve is SUPER excited about "all the barbecue" we have planned. I'm still not sure just how far from Universal 4 Rivers is, but even if its a bit of a drive, it will be fun to see some of the surrounding area. We're always up for a little exploring :) .

Just found your TR - just in time as I too am headed to Universal in May. Awesome to see a few of my fellow Canucks on here also planning Universal trips!! Plus, I always love your deal-hunting tips.

I didn't realize you could sometimes get better car rental rates through RBC Rewards. I usually sit and apply what feels like a thousand discount codes to find killer deals. I don't currently bank with RBC...but I could :) I've been eyeing getting one of their rewards credit cards. Just waiting for a good bonus offer.

"Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah...." My son was a massive Barney fan when he was a tiny tyke. We must have owned about 20 of those videos which we watched endlessly all day long every day. I haven't told him yet - but I am SO going to drag him to watch the Barney show! He is going to completely die of mortification - but I sure can't wait to see Barney live ROFL!

Oh yes it does. Yum, yum, and triple YUM! I make every effort to go whenever I can. The Holiday Sandwich is my absolute favorite - I've tried other versions of it in other gourmet sandwich shop, and nothing has beat the Earl yet. The DtD location is just extra yummy too :)

I have to admit a deep, dark secret...my family doesn't care for Potter. Why, oh why are we going to Universal? I finally forced the family to sit down and watch a couple of Potter movies over the weekend. DH insisted on starting with the last one (what can I say? Male brain). My son bailed on this one. Then we watched the first one and after some pleading, my son joined us. Both movies were punctuated with me squealing "Diagon Alley is going to look just like that. We're going to be on that Hogwarts Express! THAT'S why there is a dragon on top!!". Overall, the first Potter movie went over better with my family (not so dark). That said, I think the first and last movies will give us a good enough background and we are not planning to watch any more.

I am a bit nervous about taking the family to Universal Studios (and I'm already planning to upgrade to Annual Passes!) based on last weekend - but given that we are big theme park fans, I really think we will end up having a blast as long as my kids don't end up with nightmares every night LOL!

Anyway, what do you all suggest should be next on the "family movie night" list? Maybe ET? And of course, we will have to re-watch Spidey and Transformers.

Welcome, elaine! Glad to have you along!!

You know, I'm not a big Harry Potter fan either, yet.....after visiting Universal in 2012, and seeing the pics of the new Diagon Alley, I have rather enjoyed the movies (which surprises even me!!). I may even be inspired to read one of the books this summer....which quite possibly might lead to reading a second, and a third....! So far, I've seen the first 3 movies, but we have all 8 here on DVD ... so I guess we'd better get busy on weekends watching the remainder before we leave on April 30th.

ET is on my to-watch list before May, and I would also recommend Despicable Me if you haven't yet seen it (soooooooo cute....and I love me some Minions! :love: ).

Gina- Love reading your trip reports! I learn so much about Orlando- thank you! I am currently making a restaurant list including many of the restaurants you have mentioned here and you copied the activities list for me when you were down last time and I was planning. Anyways, I was hoping you could answer a question about Sheraton Vistana for me- I haven't been able to locate the questions thread since the new boards. We are going in April (22 days!!!) only have a 1 bedroom- all that was left through RCI. Just glad to get anything! My DS (16) and DD (12) will have to share the pull out couch which will not go well! Do you know if they offer cots? I am thinking about buying a cheap twin air mattress, but would rather not lug it down if not necessary. Thank you so much!

Gina- Love reading your trip reports! I learn so much about Orlando- thank you! I am currently making a restaurant list including many of the restaurants you have mentioned here and you copied the activities list for me when you were down last time and I was planning. Anyways, I was hoping you could answer a question about Sheraton Vistana for me- I haven't been able to locate the questions thread since the new boards. We are going in April (22 days!!!) only have a 1 bedroom- all that was left through RCI. Just glad to get anything! My DS (16) and DD (12) will have to share the pull out couch which will not go well! Do you know if they offer cots? I am thinking about buying a cheap twin air mattress, but would rather not lug it down if not necessary. Thank you so much!

Hi sunnydreams!

This is what the website says about cots:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/announcements.html?propertyID=5608

EXTRA BEDDING POLICY
We are pleased to provide rollaway beds (for a fee) as well as complimentary cribs. Please note that select one-bedroom villas cannot accommodate a rollaway bed.

I am guessing its the smaller one bedrooms that don't have sufficient space for a cot....some of the larger one bedroom premiums might.

If I were you, I would put this in a Diamond Lane request two weeks before your arrival, noting that you will require a cot, that you understand there will be a fee for the extra bed, and that you will require (if at all possible) a one-bedroom configuration that can accommodate the rollaway. Or even inquire if its possible to upgrade, for a fee, to the two bedroom. It never hurts to ask!

"Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah...." My son was a massive Barney fan when he was a tiny tyke. We must have owned about 20 of those videos which we watched endlessly all day long every day. I haven't told him yet - but I am SO going to drag him to watch the Barney show! He is going to completely die of mortification - but I sure can't wait to see Barney live ROFL! [QUOTE/]

It sounds like some kind of payback for all the hours you had to listen to Barney. I remember the dilemma when other parents were always trying to pass on Barney videos their children had outgrown: did you accept them just to have some more variety or say no more Barney videos in this house?

You know, I'm not a big Harry Potter fan either, yet.....after visiting Universal in 2012, and seeing the pics of the new Diagon Alley, I have rather enjoyed the movies (which surprises even me!!). I may even be inspired to read one of the books this summer....which quite possibly might lead to reading a second, and a third....! So far, I've seen the first 3 movies, but we have all 8 here on DVD ... so I guess we'd better get busy on weekends watching the remainder before we leave on April 30th.

ET is on my to-watch list before May, and I would also recommend Despicable Me if you haven't yet seen it (soooooooo cute....and I love me some Minions! :love: ).

I'm a bit of a Purist when it comes to children's literature. I had to read the book before each film. The first books are really easy reads but the books get thicker as the series progresses. The style changes too - it's almost like they are written by a different author. I liked how in IOA the details were true to the books. People seem to think that Diagon Alley is really good. Just be careful you don't get too into them or you'll end up wanting to visit the film locations. I spent a freezing day at Alnwick Castle and did a really good Harry Potter tour in London.

ET is a classic - takes me back to my childhood. Tissues at the ready. I love the strange name pronunciations on the ET ride. The Despicable Me movies are great.

ET is a classic - takes me back to my childhood. Tissues at the ready.

The first time we visited Universal was for Jake's 16th birthday. As we exited the ride, I pointed to the photo of Gertie and said to him....you know who that is, don't you?

He stared at me blankly. No, who?

Drew Barrymore, I tell him. He turns, and gives her face a good hard look. Then recognition kicks in...and he is stunned. Truly shocked.

"But.....but.....she's so.....hot now"!

:rolleyes1

Sigh. Teenage boys. :sad2:

The first time we visited Universal was for Jake's 16th birthday. As we exited the ride, I pointed to the photo of Gertie and said to him....you know who that is, don't you?

He stared at me blankly. No, who?

Drew Barrymore, I tell him. He turns, and gives her face a good hard look. Then recognition kicks in...and he is stunned. Truly shocked.

"But.....but.....she's so.....hot now"!

:rolleyes1

Sigh. Teenage boys. :sad2:

Where would boys be without their Mums helping them make sense of the world? I always feel a bit sad seeing Drew Barrymore in ET knowing how troubled her childhood ended up. We'll need to watch ET again before we go. It's interesting no-one is saying "I need to watch some Barney videos before going to get me in the mood."

Hi sunnydreams!

This is what the website says about cots:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/announcements.html?propertyID=5608

EXTRA BEDDING POLICY
We are pleased to provide rollaway beds (for a fee) as well as complimentary cribs. Please note that select one-bedroom villas cannot accommodate a rollaway bed.

I am guessing its the smaller one bedrooms that don't have sufficient space for a cot....some of the larger one bedroom premiums might.

If I were you, I would put this in a Diamond Lane request two weeks before your arrival, noting that you will require a cot, that you understand there will be a fee for the extra bed, and that you will require (if at all possible) a one-bedroom configuration that can accommodate the rollaway. Or even inquire if its possible to upgrade, for a fee, to the two bedroom. It never hurts to ask!

Thanks for your help Gina! I will definitely try that.

Just be careful you don't get too into them or you'll end up wanting to visit the film locations. I spent a freezing day at Alnwick Castle and did a really good Harry Potter tour in London.

Thankfully, my family were not into it when we visited London last year - we got to skip all the Potter stuff. They weren't even interested in stopping at Platform 9 3/4 when we were near Kings Cross Station. Then again - my son asked me where it was filmed and was rather intrigued when I told him it was in London and that we had skipped all the filming locations... Hopefully he won't get too curious (I better not let him see any "Making of" shows!). I much preferred when we visited Castle Combe, an absolutely beautifully little village where they filmed War Horse (which we followed by watching the theatre production in London - WOW!).

Where would boys be without their Mums helping them make sense of the world? I always feel a bit sad seeing Drew Barrymore in ET knowing how troubled her childhood ended up. We'll need to watch ET again before we go. It's interesting no-one is saying "I need to watch some Barney videos before going to get me in the mood."

Heehee - now you're inspiring me to put on a Barney show to get us all in the mood!! I AM going to drag my family to the show....seeing my son try to crawl under the seat is just going to be so so so funny!! Now if I can just keep it a deep, dark secret from my entire family until we get to the park....

Thankfully, my family were not into it when we visited London last year - we got to skip all the Potter stuff. They weren't even interested in stopping at Platform 9 3/4 when we were near Kings Cross Station. Then again - my son asked me where it was filmed and was rather intrigued when I told him it was in London and that we had skipped all the filming locations... Hopefully he won't get too curious (I better not let him see any "Making of" shows!). I much preferred when we visited Castle Combe, an absolutely beautifully little village where they filmed War Horse (which we followed by watching the theatre production in London - WOW!).

I love going to see some shows when in London. in October we went to Les Mis and the Phantom of the Opera. The boys went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and thought it was great. The Studio Tour was fantastic. They have a new section opening on 19th March which will have the original hogwart's Express steam train. Gina, I'm looking forward to hearing your reviews on Diagon Alley.

Heehee - now you're inspiring me to put on a Barney show to get us all in the mood!! I AM going to drag my family to the show....seeing my son try to crawl under the seat is just going to be so so so funny!! Now if I can just keep it a deep, dark secret from my entire family until we get to the park....

I'm not taking any responsibility for any trauma to your family. My son was 3 when he met Barney and was so disappointed that the character attendant stamped Barney's name on his autograph book. I was much more of a Bear in the Big Blue House fan and was so disappointed when he left Hollywood Studios just before our first trip to Orlando.

I absolutely love the ET ride, probably my favourite ride in Universal. Love when you go inside and walk through the forest, and it's always so lovely and cool in there. ET was such a big thing when the film came out in UK and to this day it makes me sad that I never saw it at the cinema. I am a huge movie fan but it must have come out when I was about 10. I went to my friends house for a sleepover and her parents had a pirate copy of the movie and they put it on. Even then I was so upset as I knew it was wrong but I couldn't do anything about it. To this day it's the only pirate video I have ever watched, just don't understand why people want to watch a bad copy when they can get the whole cinema experience (sorry, rant over). Hopefully there will be an anniversary edition one day and will be re-released. I hope they never close the ride.
Only been to Barney once on our first trip in 2005, but as we will be at Universal at least 4 times I am definitely going to go again.

I absolutely love the ET ride, probably my favourite ride in Universal. Love when you go inside and walk through the forest, and it's always so lovely and cool in there. ET was such a big thing when the film came out in UK and to this day it makes me sad that I never saw it at the cinema. I am a huge movie fan but it must have come out when I was about 10. I went to my friends house for a sleepover and her parents had a pirate copy of the movie and they put it on. Even then I was so upset as I knew it was wrong but I couldn't do anything about it. To this day it's the only pirate video I have ever watched, just don't understand why people want to watch a bad copy when they can get the whole cinema experience (sorry, rant over). Hopefully there will be an anniversary edition one day and will be re-released. I hope they never close the ride.
Only been to Barney once on our first trip in 2005, but as we will be at Universal at least 4 times I am definitely going to go again.

I love the E.T. ride too. One of the best in Orlando. It's up there with Peter Pan as far as classic rides IMO!

I love the E.T. ride too. One of the best in Orlando. It's up there with Peter Pan as far as classic rides IMO!

I remember very little about our early 1990's trip to Universal when I was a teenager but I remember loving the E.T. ride. Definitely a classic and I also hope they never remove it. Some things just need to be left alone and enjoyed for generations.

I'm not taking any responsibility for any trauma to your family. My son was 3 when he met Barney and was so disappointed that the character attendant stamped Barney's name on his autograph book. I was much more of a Bear in the Big Blue House fan and was so disappointed when he left Hollywood Studios just before our first trip to Orlando.

I remember very little about our early 1990's trip to Universal when I was a teenager but I remember loving the E.T. ride. Definitely a classic and I also hope they never remove it. Some things just need to be left alone and enjoyed for generations.

I am so comforted to hear all the love for ET :goodvibes 'cause my guys like to tease me senseless about it (in their minds, its a "wimpy" ride....thrill seekers that they are). It makes me smile to know there are others who appreciate the classic attraction like I do!

As for the Barney show....I can guarantee you I won't get Steve anywhere near it on either of our upcoming trips. If he could have had a VHS burning ceremony for the dozens of Barney videos that Jake had as a child, I swear he'd have happily built the biggest bonfire ever in the backyard and scortched the works of them :rotfl:. One of you will have to tell me all about it sometime....or perhaps I will have to resort to youtube to see what its all about.

In other news......

I finally gave up on trying to kick this cold that didn't want to seem to ever go away (two months has been TOO long, and my family/friends/co-workers are sick to death of hearing me cough), and I went to the doctor today. Turns out I have a sinus infection (no wonder I have felt so crappy) and will be on some meds for the next 7 days to rid me of it before we travel. Apparently, my blood pressure is also concerningly high (a complete surprise, considering all the exercising and healthy eating we've been doing since January) so that's something I will have to keep an eye on now, too. He asked me if I was stressed or anxious about anything in particular, so I told him that Jetblue's pending flight release was giving me a few sleepless nights. I think he thought I was being cheeky :rolleyes1 .

Sigh ... this getting older really stinks sometimes.

Hope the meds work before you fly out, hopefully you will be sorted and the BP lowers. You have a lot going on, with your friend, holiday, work, and yes Jet Blues flight prices so hopefully it is just a blip :)

Anyway on the getting old subject you know they say you are only as old as the (man) you feel! :rolleyes1 Does that help?

Sorry about the sinus infection, hate those! I'm sure you'll be all ready and rested in time. Have you been taking cold meds, they can increase BP? Feel better I hope the abx kick in quickly!

Bleh Gina... I'm sorry to hear about the sinus infection. They are so painful too :(. I hope the meds do the trick and you are feeling better soon :).

We all got the stomach flu midway through Ds's basketball tournament last weekend. I mean.. the entire team went down one after the other. My whole family got it too. I held out until Tuesday but I wasn't spared. The good news is it's over. I felt bad for the few families that were heading on vacation today and were worried if the rest of them would get it. My husbands co-coach is heading to Orlando with his family tonight. They are driving. We all cooked up a plan to meet for some Go-Carting in Orlando at the Fun Spot next Thursday (and by we I mean the boys cooked up the plan lol). This family has been before and loves the tracks there. I don't know if dd and I will join them but the boys will have fun.

I spent the entire day catching up on planning. I have a binder with itinerary listed by day, restaurants for each day, food budget etc. It's not that the plans don't have wiggle room, but I wanted some idea of what was happening when and had all kinds of coupons and confirmations and reservations to print.

So the planning is done, and now it's time for the cleaning and packing. Tomorrow I made the unfortunate plan to take DD with my mom to Buffalo for prom dress shopping. Only unfortunate because I forgot that it would be the first Saturday of March break. We're leaving early so hopefully the border isn't a mess. Looking at the wait times online, it seems all the bridges around here are fine tonight.

4 sleeps to go and it's off on a new adventure. New to us on this trip are Go Carting, meeting up with friends, several new restaurants (Bubba Gumps, Hard Rock Cafe, Orlando Ale House in the plans so far), an Orlando Magic game, 2 new hotels (CBBR, and PBR) and today I bought the tickets for AQUATICA!! :sunny:

I just have to thank you again Gina because if it weren't for you sharing your trips with all of us I don't know if I ever would have ventured out of the Disney bubble (well definitely Universal, but not much else). And every time I go to search an offsite question it pulls up an informative Gina post! I found lots of Aquatica posts by you in the last little while and I'm so excited to give it a try. $119 was too steep for us to spring for the Cabana I'm afraid. It looked great but this was supposed to be a budget trip:rolleyes1. I am hoping if we get there at opening we have a decent chance of having chairs to park ourselves in for the day.

Let me know if there's anything you want me to check out for you while I'm down for the week:goodvibes

Hope the meds work before you fly out, hopefully you will be sorted and the BP lowers. You have a lot going on, with your friend, holiday, work, and yes Jet Blues flight prices so hopefully it is just a blip :)

Anyway on the getting old subject you know they say you are only as old as the (man) you feel! :rolleyes1 Does that help?

:rotfl2:and :scared1: :blush: :bitelip: !!!

I feel better already! :thumbsup2

Sorry about the sinus infection, hate those! I'm sure you'll be all ready and rested in time. Have you been taking cold meds, they can increase BP? Feel better I hope the abx kick in quickly!

Yes indeed, I have been taking Advil cold and sinus for weeks. That may indeed be the culprit :scratchin .

I checked my BP at the pharmacy today, and it was excellent (113 over 63). My mom has a personal BP monitor from when my dad was terminal with cancer, and she sent it home with me today so I can keep an eye on things over the course of the next week or two. We took everyone's reading after dinner, and again...it was excellent (similar numbers to the pharmacy).

Perhaps the reading at the doctor's office was an anomaly. I was a bit stressed that he might decide to weigh me while I was there....I absolutely HATE it when he does that! :headache:

Bleh Gina... I'm sorry to hear about the sinus infection. They are so painful too :(. I hope the meds do the trick and you are feeling better soon :).

We all got the stomach flu midway through Ds's basketball tournament last weekend. I mean.. the entire team went down one after the other. My whole family got it too. I held out until Tuesday but I wasn't spared. The good news is it's over. I felt bad for the few families that were heading on vacation today and were worried if the rest of them would get it. My husbands co-coach is heading to Orlando with his family tonight. They are driving. We all cooked up a plan to meet for some Go-Carting in Orlando at the Fun Spot next Thursday (and by we I mean the boys cooked up the plan lol). This family has been before and loves the tracks there. I don't know if dd and I will join them but the boys will have fun.

I spent the entire day catching up on planning. I have a binder with itinerary listed by day, restaurants for each day, food budget etc. It's not that the plans don't have wiggle room, but I wanted some idea of what was happening when and had all kinds of coupons and confirmations and reservations to print.

So the planning is done, and now it's time for the cleaning and packing. Tomorrow I made the unfortunate plan to take DD with my mom to Buffalo for prom dress shopping. Only unfortunate because I forgot that it would be the first Saturday of March break. We're leaving early so hopefully the border isn't a mess. Looking at the wait times online, it seems all the bridges around here are fine tonight.

4 sleeps to go and it's off on a new adventure. New to us on this trip are Go Carting, meeting up with friends, several new restaurants (Bubba Gumps, Hard Rock Cafe, Orlando Ale House in the plans so far), an Orlando Magic game, 2 new hotels (CBBR, and PBR) and today I bought the tickets for AQUATICA!! :sunny:

I just have to thank you again Gina because if it weren't for you sharing your trips with all of us I don't know if I ever would have ventured out of the Disney bubble (well definitely Universal, but not much else). And every time I go to search an offsite question it pulls up an informative Gina post! I found lots of Aquatica posts by you in the last little while and I'm so excited to give it a try. $119 was too steep for us to spring for the Cabana I'm afraid. It looked great but this was supposed to be a budget trip:rolleyes1. I am hoping if we get there at opening we have a decent chance of having chairs to park ourselves in for the day.

Let me know if there's anything you want me to check out for you while I'm down for the week:goodvibes

4 sleeps for you! (well, I guess only 3 more now!) I am green with jealousy ;) . We are officially at 47 days, and at times, it feels like so dastardly far off (though I know it will come quickly.....those last 30 days always fly with the final preparations to keep a person busy). I am so happy to hear that the flu has managed to make its departure.....that was cutting things concerningly close :scared: .

How did the prom dress pilgrimage go? Did you end up in any traffic snares? And did the young lady get herself something she loved? I must admit, I am glad that we don't have the expenses of graduating year to absorb this spring......it felt like our bank account was hemorrhaging from March to June last year!!! Graduation photos, prom (I thought a son would be way cheaper than a daughter in that regard, but holy moly.....good quality suits are expensive!), and then.....tuition :faint: . It never seemed to end!

I hope you guys have a marvelous time at the offsite attractions you have planned :goodvibes . I really hope Aquatica, in particular, impresses you like it did us. Cabana or no cabana, you're going to have a wonderful visit there. Make your claim to a couple loungers under one of the fabulous umbrellas on the sandy beach and you'll be good to go :thumbsup2 .

Do be sure to let me know how you enjoy the Ale House! I can't wait to give that one, in particular, a try in May!

Hope you feel better Gina. At least you now know. My poor DS gets them. Not fun.

For me, SW doesn't open till later. I guess tomorrow you will see the first of the rates. Hope they are good for you.

Hope you feel better Gina. At least you now know. My poor DS gets them. Not fun.

For me, SW doesn't open till later. I guess tomorrow you will see the first of the rates. Hope they are good for you.

Thanks Lynne :goodvibes . The doc has put me on a 7-day round of Biaxin, and its wreaking havoc on my digestive system :sick: . Earlier today, I was wondering if the cure was worse than the illness itself!!

Yes, I must admit I'm holding my breath for tomorrow's fares. We're hoping, praying, pleading with the travel Gods to make them reasonably priced. If they're ridiculous, we too will wait until Southwest extends their schedule.....not our preferred airline by any stretch, but perhaps a necessary consideration.

I will keep ya'll posted on how we make out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter