PTR-A solo trip to celebrate a life and new begining!!

mydisneykids

DIS Veteran
Hello, everyone.
I have never been able to follow through on a trip report but I am determined to do it this time.
I am taking a solo trip this November and I noticed there aren’t as many solo trip reports out there. I also think that by writing a trip report it will help me express everything I will be feeling the short time I will be there.

Let me explain.

I am a HUGE Disney addict. I have won over my wonderful husband, he now enjoys our Disney vacations as well, although not nearly as much as I do. Like many of you out there I live by the message boards and dreaming about the next trip from the minute I climb on the magical express bus to go home.

I have three amazing kids. A 23 year old daughter that did the Disney College program last year and worked at Liberty Inn in Epcot.

A 19 year old daughter that is my partner in crime when it comes to planning for our family Disney trips.

Finally, a 16 year old son that lives and breathes hockey but finds time to enjoy himself when dragged along on our Disney trips and laughs when he realizes the amount of Disney trivia he has absorbed by overhearing all of the Disney related conversations between my daughters and I.

We are DVC members so we have been lucky enough to visit on a regular basis even though we live in NJ.

Recently my life was turned upside down. My husband shut down his business that he had worked in since college (23 years). We were starting all over, not an easy thing to do for someone that HATES change. At the same time my mother that I was extremely close with had a heart attack and became home bound. I was the only one of my siblings that lived nearby. She had a live in aide but I needed to be there daily. Because my dad was 91 at the time I had to do all their shopping, care for their house and be there emotionally for both of them. All of this while trying to get back into teaching after 23 years off raising children and with 2 of my kids still at home. It took a major toll on me.
Well, that was all in 2013. September of 2015 my father passed away and in November my mother passed away. It had been 2 ½ years of being there every day.

Well, my mom was 11 years younger than my dad and spent the years before she was ill taking care of him. We took them to Disney 2 times and although she never felt the way we did she LOVED EPCOT. We stayed at the BCV both trips and the joy she would get walking to EPCOT to get fish and chips or go to her favorite Germany for dinner. My husband and I had a plan that we would take them back to Disney again but they could never go because my dad could never be far from his doctors and didn’t handle the change of staying somewhere different anymore. So we decided that if he passed away before she did I would take her to Disney and have our first mother/daughter trip. I have enjoyed that with my girls and dreamed about doing it with her. But unfortunately she was too sick and I never got to take her.

This is my parents with us on one of the two trips we took. It was my now 19 years olds 7th birthday.

Fast forward to today. My wonderful husband is sending me to Disney to be in my happy place for the anniversary of my mother’s passing in November. He wants me to sit in Germany with a pretzel and think of her with a smile. It is going to be a trip to celebrate our lives getting back to normal, celebrate the life of my wonderful mother, and plan for our family trip next summer..........

I can’t stay DVC this trip. We had a big year with points last year. We used a few nights when my son and I drove down with my daughter to drop her off to be a CP, a few nights to visit her during the food and wine festival and a few nights when my other daughter and I went to pick her up so she didn’t have to drive back up to NJ alone. Each of these times my wonderful husband would balance work and filling in for me caring for my parents so I could make these runs and get a day or two escape. But the trips were always filled with phone calls, discussions with the hospice nurse, planning with the aide how to keep things normal without me being there. It was never a true escape.

This is when we dropped my oldest off and again the day we left to bring her back home.

I was able to get a room at the All Star Movies (I have only stayed at Sports in the values). I am excited to try somewhere new!
I even splurged and bought a ticket for MVMCP one of the nights I am there. It was such a difficult Christmas last year and I am hoping this gets me back into the spirit of things.

As I put together my plans I will post them here. I was only planning on counter service. I have had a few solo trips before but haven’t been able to make the jump to dining alone for a sit down meal. I am hoping for some encouragement as I would love to break up all the counter service meals with a sit down.

Until next time have a wonderful night!!

Ready to follow along! I totally understand your reason for wanting to take this trip. I moved my Mom here 3+ years ago and my sisters don't live close. She's now 93 and needs more and more help - I'm glad I can do it but some weeks are really a grind. When I can get away, it's not exactly relaxing. November should be a great time to go - I love going when the holiday decorations are up and MVMCP.

Your husband is a good guy! Glad you have the chance to take a little "me" time after all the devoted care you gave your parents.

Ready to follow along! I totally understand your reason for wanting to take this trip. I moved my Mom here 3+ years ago and my sisters don't live close. She's now 93 and needs more and more help - I'm glad I can do it but some weeks are really a grind. When I can get away, it's not exactly relaxing. November should be a great time to go - I love going when the holiday decorations are up and MVMCP.

Thank you. I did this wondering if anyone would have any interest in what I had to say or offer about my trip. :)
That describes it exactly. The times I was able to get away were so needed and I am so happy I got them. But there always seemed to be a crisis or something at home overshadowing it.
I haven't gone during the Christmas holidays in ages other than the quick trip to pick my daughter up last year. I can't wait t just wander and look at the trees and decorations, take pictures of them all and soak in the holidays. It was such a whirlwind last year and so emotional that I don't even remember decorating the tree with the family.

Your husband is a good guy! Glad you have the chance to take a little "me" time after all the devoted care you gave your parents.

Thanks, he really is. We were HS sweethearts and celebrated our 25th last year in the midst of all this. And all these years he has made it so clear that he would do anything to see me smile, and it was hard for a while.
And he now enjoys and looks forward to Disney trips as well What more can i ask for :)

I'm excited to follow along! This is a well-deserved trip, and you have a beautiful family! I did the DCP last year too! I was a merch CM at DHS!! :teeth:

I love this idea. What a great dh you have.

Thank you so much, he really is:love:

I'm excited to follow along! This is a well-deserved trip, and you have a beautiful family! I did the DCP last year too! I was a merch CM at DHS!! :teeth:

Thank you!!!!!!
That is great! Were you spring or fall? My DD did it in the fall. How did you like Merchandise? I never pictured my daughter in QS Dining but she did great. I think it helped that she loved everyone she worked with.

Last edited:
I am starting to plan my days. Doing that is always a highlight of an upcoming Disney trip. I am happy to have here to share it with.

Working through our Disney plans is usually the sole topic of conversation between the kids and I when a family trip is coming up. This is a bit different. I know the family is so happy I am going, they know how hard the last few years has been on me and I don’t feel guilty about going as I know it is needed and given to me with love. But sharing the details just isn’t the same when the rest of the crew isn’t going with me. My wonderful husband is the one sending me, but I feel guilty talking with him about it as well, since he is working so hard at his new job and has sacrificed so much for the family lately.

I did talk to my middle daughter, Megan about a thought I had about the trip. I am flying out on Tuesday, November 15. I am booked on Frontier out of a small airport about 90 min from home. When I say small I mean small. There are 2 gates. The first time I flew out of this airport I got there 2 hours early like I would when flying from Newark or NYC. Well, the security line wasn’t even open yet, there were no flights before us and it was too far out for them to start the line. I know so many people don’t like Frontier but for the price I paid for a 2hr. flight it is so worth it!!! And to fly from a small airport that I have been able to park 50 yards from the main entrance that has friendly but thorough security and a great price on the flight. Win all around.

Well, this airport is 10 minutes from where Megan goes to school. A 4:30 flight is the perfect timing to visit Megan at college for lunch!! I am looking forward to that so much already and she said she was as well. It will be the perfect start to my escape.

Other than that I haven’t shared too much about my plans. I think that will change as it gets closer though.

My family and I (even when I have gone solo) usually tour commando style. We get there at rope drop, tour, go back to the room for a nap/swim/rest, go back the the parks until closing, usually the latest park open as we want to make the most of our days.

I am finding the last few trips I can’t do that to the extent I used to. Stress and being a caregiver took its toll on me. We still did a rope drop or two on our last trip but nowhere like how we used to.

So, I land at 7:30 p.m. I am finding all the parks close early while there. It isn’t peak season, and a week before the holiday week. The night I land Epcot has EMH so it is open until 11. In the past we would have gotten off ME, dropped our bags and ran right to the parks. I am not thinking I can do that this trip, especially since I want to make rope drop at MK the following day. This is so hard for me to accept. I am telling myself it is the toll everything the last few years took on me, I can’t admit I may be getting to old for it yet……………

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do after arriving the first night? It will be hard for me to finally be back at my home away from home and not do anything, but that is a serious option. If we were at the Beach Club or Boardwalk our two favorite DVC choices I would just walk laps around the Boardwalk or walk into Epcot for 30 min or so. But with bussing that isn’t an option from All Star Movies.

Last edited:
This sounds like a phenomenal trip. Good luck on your travels. And what is your favorite restaurant? Or better yet, which would have been your mom's? I think you need to go by yourself. It's so worth it!

Disney Springs maybe the night you get there. Go grab a bite to eat and walk around for a while.

I don't know you, but I want to send you a hug. What a tough couple of years! I have to say, though, it's rough patches like that which show our strength and the true nature of those we surround ourselves with. You sure passed the "tough" test and I'd say it sounds like your family - especially your DH - revealed himself to be basically a superhero. I hope this escape back to WDW gives your soul the refresh it needs.

Don't beat yourself up about not wanting to push it to the limit on this trip! You've just run an emotional marathon - take. the. break. Your mind, body, and soul will thank you!

This sounds like a phenomenal trip. Good luck on your travels. And what is your favorite restaurant? Or better yet, which would have been your mom's? I think you need to go by yourself. It's so worth it!
Thank you.
I have a hard time picking a favorite, there are so many I love. My mom's definite favorite was Germany. Every time we went after taking her she would ask if we were going. I was thinking about going, just not sure about the group dining alone. We have gone and had single diners with us and ended up talking the whole time, maybe I would get that lucky. They really enjoyed Cape May that trip as well. Maybe there if I decide not to do Germany. Thanks for the encouragement.

Last edited:
Disney Springs maybe the night you get there. Go grab a bite to eat and walk around for a while.

That was one of my thoughts. Wondering how rough the busses will be from All Star Movies. If I don't go the first night I am going another night. With the parks closing so early that week I figure it will be a perfect nightime activity. And I am so excited to try a cupcake from Sprinkles!!

I don't know you, but I want to send you a hug. What a tough couple of years! I have to say, though, it's rough patches like that which show our strength and the true nature of those we surround ourselves with. You sure passed the "tough" test and I'd say it sounds like your family - especially your DH - revealed himself to be basically a superhero. I hope this escape back to WDW gives your soul the refresh it needs.

Don't beat yourself up about not wanting to push it to the limit on this trip! You've just run an emotional marathon - take. the. break. Your mind, body, and soul will thank you!

Thank you so much :love:
You made me cry happy tears.
Somewhere inside I know it, but when you are in the midst of it, it is so hard to see. (what I think hit me extra hard was it is exactly what my mom would say to me) Thank you, again!!!

Hey There!
DD19 (Megan) checking in!
I just want to say how truly excited me and my entire family are to send my mom on this trip. Throughout the past few years my mom has been the strongest person I have ever met. I don't know how she does what she does and still manages to be the incredible woman I am proud to call my mom. She deserves this trip so much i couldn't even think of how to word it. I'm trying hard to think of anything she loves more than her family, disney, and maybe hockey lol.
That being said, I am totally going to be living through her in this trip report while studying for finals. Everyone following this is in for a real treat because there a few things mom loves talking about more than Disney.
Here's to stress-free planning, packing, travels and a wonderful trip!

Attachments

• IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 9

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter