PTA Help

disneyjunkie

DIS Veteran
This week my son's new school is having Orientation. During the question/answer period this morning, I asked the Director about the PTA. She looked at me and said I'm glad you mentioned that, you can get the PTA rolling. Several parents came up to me and asked if I'll have info about a PTA when we have family day on Saturday.:rolleyes:

I have no idea what to do. Can anyone suggest some sites I can visited to get an idea of how to tackle this?

I really need some help with this.

Thanks

We have a PTO, which is an independent organization. As I understand PTA, it is a national organization.

I could be wrong but that has always been my understanding.

There are PTA's, PTO's and PTSA's. A good place to start would be the national PTA Web site at: http://www.pta.org/index.asp.

This can be a daunting experience, but with the right attitude, you can have lots of fun, meet new people and get to meet the parents of your child's friends.

Good luck.

Good for you! I think it is extremely commendable of you to volunteer to get the school's PTA started :D ;) Seriously, that's how things get done--by people like you who are willing to take the time to do it.

The above posters are correct. PTO's are independent (Organizations) and therefore do not pay any dues to the national PTA, but also do not have the support and resources that PTA has. PTSA's are usually for high schools (and sometimes middle schools) as it is a parent/teacher/student association. Your state PTA may also have a website. I would contact local public schools in the area and ask their PTA presidents how to begin. I was president of our kids' elementary school PTA and while it was wayyyyyyyyyyy too much work, it was an invaluable experience and very rewarding. Do it---you'll be happy you did and will be really making a difference in your kids' school. Good luck!

I'm President of ours right now. I'd contact the state PTA by going through the national website above. Although I doubt you'll have things ready to roll by Saturday (?!!), they should have people there who will help you. Let me tell you the way we are set up - you should be similar. Each school has a "local" branch. Then some school districts have a "district" branch - if not, you bypass this step. Then there is a "region". Then "state", then "national". If you have difficulty getting help at any level, you just continue up the chain. Our region and our state have people called the "service delivery team" whose job (volunteer, of course!) it is to help you out in any way you need.
The region also offers training inservices (we had ours last week) where you might run into others in your boat.

Contacting the offices of other schools in your district to see what they have going might help out too - they could put you in touch with their leaders. Also, try to find out who the interested parents are and keep them involved in the process. They may be your officers. This Saturday, if you have nothing else, set up a sign up for interested parents and do some smooging (is that a word?) because this would be a big job without help!

Although I have really struggled with my local unit and some of the personalities there, I've really been impressed with the people at the higher levels. You are in kind of a neat position of not being stuck with fighting those who don't want change etc. You can set up what will work for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter