Pssssst.. Do you think Disney even knows?

I have been going since the early 90's, totaling about 15 visits.... So while "the magic" may be gone for me, I now enjoy viewing "the magic" in my 2 daughters eyes. I think if you go anywhere often enough, it will start to lose its appeal, because current visits never match up to those first couple times when everything is new to you. I think they do a good job upgrading the parks and trying to make return guests excited for something new. If you compare them to other theme parks, they are right there with adding new and exciting areas. For people that have bad experiences, what made it bad ? Was it the crowds, poor planning, construction, weather, etc. maybe try going at a different time of year, when less crowded and not as warm.

I do have to say though, I know more and more couples with no kids (like us) or no kids at home anymore that are going to WDW for vacation.

Food/wine is a big draw and the flower festival is now starting to attract more people that I know of.

We're going in October, and we plan to come back when Pandora is built at Animal Kingdom - hopefully we'll still be on the younger side of 45 when it's finished!:rotfl:

That's us too ... not sure if little ones are in the picture for us for the next couple years .... we go back and forth on the issue. We have been doing flower and garden in May, and its been awesome, returning this year. But, we are also big Ride people, and very picky about our customer service and resort experience. We have the money and liberty to do what we want. The last few years we have really seen the value in WDW, had great trips. FP+ has us worried, significantly, and if the customer service really is dropping off ... well, on top of price increases, that might just be it for us.

Considering last May after our trip we were looking at buying DVC and committing for the next 50 years .... that's a big change of outlooks.

Pssst..

The magic isn't gone for me..:)

WDW is still as magical for me as it was when I went there as a child.
I just returned three weeks ago from a week long trip to the Yacht Club, where I had an absolutely wonderful week both at the resort and at the parks. I met some wonderful people and CM's, had great park days and great dinners, and couldn't have been happier.

So much so, that we booked bounce back reservations for May for flower and garden festival, and the week after September as well. We'll probably go five or six times between now and then as we live just over an hour away and are AP holders. I even sent Disney an email telling them what a wonderful time we had, and how we look forward to coming back as soon as we can.

Sorry if I didn't cater to your negativity, but although I respect your opinion, I completely disagree with it.

Postal68 said:
That the Magic is gone?

I don't know who is to blame, but WDW is a mess. Sure they will still be getting crowds, but the newcomers will be less repeaters, and the long timers know how bad it has become.

Any time I spend with my family is magical but...

I don't think we will be staying onsite next year except for DD's competition ie 3 nights. I'm pretty sure offsiters will get to book fp's in advance some time soon so there won't be much incentive left to stay onsite.

We will however be spending 4 nights at HRH and I think the new HP section will be very magical. We're also flying out of Miami so we can spend a week in the keys. Very much looking forward to that.

We were going to buy dvc on this last trip. I'm not sure if we ever will now. So much has changed since we made the decision to buy in.

Well, coming from someone who lives in a resort/college town, Disney is and will always be magical!!! Trust me, I have seen what visitors do to a small town full of vacationers. Our establishments go way over the top for our visitors and let me just say, you can spot a "vacationer" a mile away or better yet, a grocery cart away. My mercy, Disney goes all out of it's way to keep the magic in the World.. I will be leaving in just a couple of months and I can't wait...

I'm not saying either side is wrong. Or that either side is right. And yes, there appear to be 'sides'.
However, for those of us who have gone to Disney longer than some have been on the planet, an old saying comes to mind.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Then again, you could say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I personally have seen little things disappear here and there. Kept thinking each time that it was no big deal. That it wasn't a major part of the experience.

Those little things have begun to add up.

:faint:

It's unfortunate that the magic is gone for some. I don't doubt that it is...that some really do feel that way. I haven't reached that point yet, and hope I don't. Guess I'll find out in September when we go.

I have been going since the early 90's, totaling about 15 visits.... So while "the magic" may be gone for me, I now enjoy viewing "the magic" in my 2 daughters eyes. I think if you go anywhere often enough, it will start to lose its appeal, because current visits never match up to those first couple times when everything is new to you.

This

Maybe it's a personal thing. I don't mean to be offensive, just saying maybe for you personally the magic was gone, but not for another person.

I agree with this...you can't really make a blanket statement about the magic being gone because it clearly isn't gone for everyone.

My friend went with her family Jan 1 to Jan 7. It was their first trip. They had a wonderful time. They came back saying "now I understand why you like going." I know that legacy FP was still there (in addition to the ones they pre-booked) but they were amazed by being able to skip lines for FREE! They are newbies who certainly saw the magic and want to return.

My family and I still love going every year. My wife and I went there a number of times as children, starting in the early 70's, so there is a sense of nostalgia that will never go away. And we love to watch as our son has fallen in love with Disney. There is no other park that can match it for the magic. Other parks have rides but Disney is much more than just cool rides.

That said, there are things that, as a long time vacationer, seem to have slipped a bit. Of course there is the infamous FP situation. We used to work the system really well, so the changes effect families like us more than some. Still, we can adapt, though the tier system in a couple of parks is making it ever more challenging. Then there are things like PUSH going away and the paint brushes hidden on Tom Sawyer's Island- we miss the hunt for them. Just little things like that can add up over time.

So, I can see both points of view. We still love it and can't imagine not going each year but I hope Disney management doesn't lose sight of what makes Disney so special.

That the Magic is gone?

I don't know who is to blame, but WDW is a mess. Sure they will still be getting crowds, but the newcomers will be less repeaters, and the long timers know how bad it has become.

Do you only read the negatives, I still love Disney and dont believe it is a mess.

I have been staying away from these posts but here goes. Magic isn't gone for me.

So, fp has changed, so what? Remember the days before fast pass? I was a 20 year old kid, stayed off site went memorial weekend, waited hours in line and still loved it. Does fast pass help, yeah but there is nothing like seeing the castle for the first time or my sons eyes when he met Woody or not wanting to let go of Mickey.

Magic is what you make it.
People can say magic is gone from anything. Remember, the good ole days weren't always good.

I remember seeing a character and people swarming him before there were designated lines for meet and greet. People are complaining about Anna/Elsa meet and greet but imagine what it would be like if there were no lines.

I completely agree!

We go twice a year with our kids (who are 4) and we LOVE it! It's all in the attitude of the traveler. Any vacation, anywhere, at any time can have things go "wrong" or not be perfect, but no one does vacations like Disney!!!

I am also one who usually passes up negative posts like this, but I feel I need to chime in here.

I agree with the previous posters who said "Magic is what you make of it". For every negative thing someone posts I can think of ten positive.

It has been 8 years since my last visit, only because of circumstances beyond my control, not because of lost magic.

The magic comes from within, from your own heart, if you let it.

Sorry have to agree with OKW Lover, besides most of the magic always comes from within.

We love the changes, we thoroughly enjoyed our Magic Band, Fastpass+ experience and looking forward to the next trip.

I'm not saying either side is wrong. Or that either side is right. And yes, there appear to be 'sides'.
However, for those of us who have gone to Disney longer than some have been on the planet, an old saying comes to mind.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Then again, you could say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I personally have seen little things disappear here and there. Kept thinking each time that it was no big deal. That it wasn't a major part of the experience.

Those little things have begun to add up.

:faint:

I agree with this..it is a lot of little things that are missing from the past(cleanliness was a biggie for me on the last trip). For me the only park that is worth anything is MK the others are just meh. We had a wonderful trip in spite of these changes, but the parks aren't what they were and I don't find the lesser parks worth what is being charged. The admission should be much lower...they are half day parks, nothing more. I think people will start holding WDW to higher expectations, especially if people do head over to Uni/IOA as part of their trip. I would have never imagined how amazing the parks would be and really put the lesser parks to shame. Nothing will ever replace the MK in my heart and I plan to bring the kids back in a few years, but I also love Disneyland and plan to go there with the kids too, probably rolled into a west coast vacation though not as a stand alone trip. I I'd never want to go to the same place year after year no matter how magical. Just not our style. I want my kids to see the world and I plan to show it to them. I think WDW is in trouble, but not in a way that will impact attendance, unless there is ever another recession though...they will have lost a chunk of their core group and that will impact them. Again this is all my opinion and nothing more;)

The magic has nothing to do with fp+ or waiting in line, it has to do with seeing the Castle when you come down main street, smelling the baking of wonderful treats, hearing the music, seeing the joy on the faces of children when they see Mickey, stopping for a chance to see the wonderful detail of the buildings and plantings around you. If your vacation is just running from one fast ride to another, knocking down folks on your way, then you are indeed missing the magic of Walt Disney World. You won't be missed. I, for one, visited 25 years ago, 10 years ago, 5 years ago and 1 1/2 years ago and have a visit planned for this Christmas and couldn't be happier to visit the magic again.

When I was fortunate enough to go the first time, my kids were 7 and 9. We had fun and I enjoyed it as much as they did. I have been back many times since then, sometimes with my grandchildren and sometimes with my husband and we still all find the magic whenever we go! Our last time was in October for the food and wine festival (with the bracelets) and mine didn't work much of the time, but my hubby is so laid back he wouldn't let me get stressed. Since we are retired, we want to go back again at about the same time in 2014.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter