PSA: There are NO reserved hammocks on Castaway Cay's Serenity Beach ... PSA

And I'll repeat this since no one is answering this valid point, why do people who get up early to get an umbrella not have to use it all day? There are not enough umbrellas for everyone to get one, please explain how that is any different than the hammock.

Hammocks are in relatively short supply.

There are more than enough umbrellas for each family group to get one. And plenty of empty lounge chairs. The ratio of chairs and umbrellas to passengers is quite high.

I like the analogy that someone gave to swings on a playground. Do you claim your child's swing at the palyground each morning and fight the other kids off all day?

Why though can someone only use it part of the day and then have to give it up? Why are they not allowed to partake in anything else if they want to use the hammock on/off all day?
QUOTE]

Again, you don't have to give it up. By all means feel free to enjoy it all day. But be mindful, if you are partaking in other activities you aren't really using it all day... so why not let others use it??
Again, the swing analogy, once your child has enjoyed a swing, does he/she have exclusive rights to it all day? Do you shoo other kids away from the swing when s/he is playing on the slide?
If you're at the mall, or the park, and you sit on a bench. Is it now 'yours' for the day. When you get up to shop, do you expect that no one is to sit on that bench while you inhibit the building? Moreover, do you leave your shoe on the bench as a warning to all other people to not sit on 'your bench'? I don't know you, but I'm sure you wouldn't.

In my own personal example, the family hadn't used the hammock in FIVE hours!!!!! We're they partaking in other activities? sure. Does that give them exclusive 'ownership' to the hammock because they marked it by placing a shoe on it? You've got to be kidding. Far too often it's not so much about using it for themselves but DISALLOWING anyone else from using it.

Honestly, I think the bottom line should be this. If you are using a hammock, enjoy. If you want to partake in other activities, enjoy! If you want someone to 'save your hammock' make sure they place their kester in it until you return. If no living, breathing person is enjoying the hammock then it's available for the next, equally deserving vacation-paying person to enjoy it.

What would everyone think of having a per hour charge for Hammocks, the same as Bike rental.

Maybe first hour very cheap, but the longer you use it the price goes up, would that stop people keeping them longer when they are not used, and the next person has a ticket for the following hour???? Or book for say 1> 2 hours only?

I'm not sure what you're saying about your email to DCL. I think it's clear a hammock could be a seat.

It was in response to the person that claimed a hammock was NOT a seat. Apparently, if you don't specifically list chair, hammock, lounger they believe it isn't covered under the no reserved policy.

Just that, I dont understand:confused3
What is your valid point?

Anybody who has a umrella or hammock cant swim?
I repeat no easy answer.
Glad I dont want either, although both were free all day on our last cruise.

DO folks really get up early to get these things?:laughing:

I am way too busy for that.

Yes, people do get up early for them. I know that when we get off the ship (among the first people) people are heading straight for hammocks. Glad that's not my thing as I'm really set on my location and would not want to sit somewhere else for the hammock.

My point is why are people not outraged about the umbrella people not using theirs all day. Yes, there are more of them, but still not enough for every family to have one. Like I said, we got out there at 10:30am and there was 1 left. And we were not the last people off the ship and we saw many other families onboard, pausing for photos on the walk to the beach, walking rather than using the tram (which we were on so therefore got to the beach before them). We literally started at the first entry point to the beach and walked to the absolute last umbrella, which was free. Some people who did come after us sat under a tree near us, complaining about DCL's lack of umbrellas.

The difference in the swing is that no one gets up early to camp out at a specific spot at the playground all day. Most people who get off the ship at CC plan to spend the whole day there, so they set up their camp at their ideal location. Whether that be by the bushes, water, under an umbrella, or near a hammock. They plan out their day to include hammock use and no one should feel compelled to use it nonstop all day like Andrew and his family did. He (and anyone else who gets up early to get one) should be able to use it at will.

For the poster who used the hammock empty for 5 hours, I agree that's a long time for it to be vacant. Why not just ask them if you can borrow it for a bit though? I bet the majority of hammock users, if asked, would let someone else sit in it for a short period. I know if I were to get one and wasn't in it and someone else asked, I'd gladly loan it out. If I planned on still using it that day I'd say they could gladly use it now but my family as planning on getting in an hour from now or whatever. If someone was sitting next to us I'd even ask them if they wanted a turn. But, I don't think someone should just be able to claim another's person hammock, with their stuff in it, after just 35 minutes.

It was in response to the person that claimed a hammock was NOT a seat. Apparently, if you don't specifically list chair, hammock, lounger they believe it isn't covered under the no reserved policy.

Sorry, it was confusing to me as you had quoted me and I don't think a hammock is not a seat.

What would everyone think of having a per hour charge for Hammocks, the same as Bike rental.

Maybe first hour very cheap, but the longer you use it the price goes up, would that stop people keeping them longer when they are not used, and the next person has a ticket for the following hour???? Or book for say 1> 2 hours only?

I would be fine with that, but of course, I don't use them so another fee doesn't matter to me. But I think that would avoid people complaining about empty ones. After all, they paid, they can do what they want. Of course, I don't see why getting up early to pick one is any different than paying $5, but that's me.

"There are any number of reasons why a person might not be using their hammock."
What??? If you have any reason that you're not going to use your hammock, why have it? Oh, and it's not "your" hammock.
On our WB repo we were settled on the beach around 9am. We had 1 lounge chair for the 4 of us. Behind us was a hammock that a family had 'blocked' in with a bunch of loungers. So not only did they 'own' the hammock, but the half a dozen chairs and appearantly the earth around it. Meanwhile, the "hammock family" camped under a nice umbrella. From the time we arrived until 2pm, not a soul had sat in that hammock, or the baracade of chairs around it. My 3 year old son was past nap time and exhausted so I got up and laid him in the hammock and started rocking him to sleep. All of a sudden a woman charged over and said my son needed to get out of her hammock RIGHT NOW!!!! It must have been the pixie dust that saved me from what I really wanted to do to her at that moment.
Bottom line, there's not enough hammocks, use them if you want, but if your bum isn't in them, it's community property. I personally am not going to take someone's hammock if they've gone in for a dip or to grab a bite to eat. But that's the risk you take if you leave you hammock unattended. We teach our children to share, why can't we do the same?
I also agree with the thought that if your child gets off a swingset, should they leave their personal items on it so that no other child can swing while they're off enjoying something else? Of curse not.

I hope you didn't remove your child. You don't need to confront anyone, just politely refer them to any cast member if they have a problem with your using DCL's hammock.

Maybe it's time to put up little signs like they had to reminding people that hammocks are intended for all of DCL's guests and not to leave any personal items unattended on a hammock.

Maybe, right! go with me for a minute, they should have 2 hour time slots and you can book them at 90/75 days out. I cant see the answer to this but at least they would not get wasted with just towels on?

Andrew I said that a few pages back, seems then they would get used all the time.

I would be fine with that, but of course, I don't use them so another fee doesn't matter to me. But I think that would avoid people complaining about empty ones. After all, they paid, they can do what they want. Of course, I don't see why getting up early to pick one is any different than paying $5, but that's me.

Andrew I said that a few pages back, seems then they would get used all the time.

To be honest, It will be the only way to sort it out, and with newer bigger ships it will get worse, not wishing to 'add' extra cost, but it can only be done on a rental basis.

Sorry, it was confusing to me as you had quoted me and I don't think a hammock is not a seat.

You're right I got confused when you said it doesn't include a time limit on hammocks. It doesn't include a time limit on any use of any seats rather a no reserving policy. Two different things. No one is arguing that someone should be limited to 2 hours of use rather if it isn't in use you can't reserve it for the day.

Andrew is correct with the larger ships will either require some changes in policy or many more hammocks

You're right I got confused when you said it doesn't include a time limit on hammocks. It doesn't include a time limit on any use of any seats rather a no reserving policy. Two different things. No one is arguing that someone should be limited to 2 hours of use rather if it isn't in use you can't reserve it for the day.

Andrew is correct with the larger ships will either require some changes in policy or many more hammocks

It needs a re think, I am not for 'extra' charges, but I think it should be a rental so to avoid upseting people with different views.

If it was $5 first hour, then $10 a hour for example someone with a towel on it, might think twice.

When we did our Double Dip in May, we spotted approx 4 of the hammocks reserved with towels on Serenity Bay on the second Castaway Cay day. We also noticed that not one of the afore-mentioned hammocks were used during the time we were on the beach - and we didn't leave until the last possible moment! I personally have no interest in a hammock - dragging the chairs down to the water's edge is more than fab for me BUT it makes me wonder what the peeps who reserved these hammocks where thinking? Obviously they knew that you had to be out early to secure one so how did they think it was OK to not bother using them? :confused3

But I, as well as many others, don't see using it on and off during the day the same as reserving them. You are using it, just not nonstop. Same as going to the bathroom during one of the shows in the theater. You leave your seat, intending to return to it, and are using it before and after your absence.

I've been following this thread with interest. I don't feel strongly about the hammocks either way - they're cool, but we really don't care if we get one or not. I see the "I got here early, my towel is there, it's mine for the day" people, and the the "Use it for a while, when you get out of it, it's up for grabs" people, and I'm wondering if there's a middle road. To me, if you are early enough or lucky enough to score a hammock, and you're enjoying it but have to get up and go to the bathroom, or you're sweltering and want to take a 10 minute swim so you can enjoy the breeze some more, you're still using it. If, on the other hand, you use it for a while and then throw your stuff into it and leave to get hair braided, go for a bike tour, wander the island, etc., your turn is over... let someone else enjoy the hammock that's empty for hours. Maybe you can get another one for that last hour on the island when you want to come back and enjoy them. If not, c'est la vie. There's plenty of other stuff to do and places to sit. :)

:thumbsup2
I've been following this thread with interest. I don't feel strongly about the hammocks either way - they're cool, but we really don't care if we get one or not. I see the "I got here early, my towel is there, it's mine for the day" people, and the the "Use it for a while, when you get out of it, it's up for grabs" people, and I'm wondering if there's a middle road. To me, if you are early enough or lucky enough to score a hammock, and you're enjoying it but have to get up and go to the bathroom, or you're sweltering and want to take a 10 minute swim so you can enjoy the breeze some more, you're still using it. If, on the other hand, you use it for a while and then throw your stuff into it and leave to get hair braided, go for a bike tour, wander the island, etc., your turn is over... let someone else enjoy the hammock that's empty for hours. Maybe you can get another one for that last hour on the island when you want to come back and enjoy them. If not, c'est la vie. There's plenty of other stuff to do and places to sit. :)

Wow,:confused3 Wow.

Seriously, people are this worried about a hammock? Have you nothing else to worry about? People actually GET UP EARLY on CC day to fight their way off the boat for a Hammock? Really?

We were at the end of the family beach on CC day. We found a bunch of loungers under an umbrella, so we secured 2 (for our family of 4). In view were I believe 2 hammocks, may have had stuff on them, but I saw NO people on them for the 2 hours we were in sight of them. Then we went to eat, and then went back to the ship... to secure our primo real estate location in a lounger around the Mickey Pool.

I'm thinking the Hammock could be viable vacation property. Who ever gets there first has rights to it for the day, and can "rent" it out to people, say, for an hour at a time. It could definately pay for some of the bar tabs everyone accumulates by the end of the cruise! :lmao: Or maybe they could charge per swing, or cubic inches used while on the hammock? Just saying, I see money-making potential here!

I still hold firm to my belief, HOWEVER, that people should not save a billion seats in the center of the theatre for the entire family. If you get there, and then have to take the kids to the bathroom once you find a seat (which, in our case is a 15 minute ordeal in itself!) and DH stays behind to keep the seats YOU claimed when you got there, fine. But if 2 of the family members saves seats for 15 others who don't come until minutes before the show, then I have a problem with that! Difference is the first party all made it to the theatre and got their seats, then had to go use the bathroom; second party didn't have any butts in their seats up until the start of the show. No one would really be "taking" the second family's seats since they never got there in the first place!

Then again, with real estate its all about location. So maybe we should get to the theatre early, "save" seats for those who aren't there, then rent them out to those needing seating for the show. Orchestra seating costs more than side seating. The seats in the back row are the cheapest...

oh wait, that's how they really do it in the real theatre! :rotfl:

Maybe Disney should pass out "tickets" as people enter, and you get a ticket and a seat when you are presented with them AS YOU ENTER. Then, if you leave to get a snack, or go to the bathroom, and come back, you know its still your seat, at least for that show. No issued tickets for seats if a person isn't there to claim them. Then you could leave the theatre and scalp the tickets out in the lobby...:rolleyes:

I am joking people, so don't quote me and tell me it won't work for various reasons.

To be honest, It will be the only way to sort it out, and with newer bigger ships it will get worse, not wishing to 'add' extra cost, but it can only be done on a rental basis.

Don't they do that at some of the beach resorts? I'm not talking about Disney, but others? I thought I had read under some of the shore excursions where they had to "rent" a chair and such. I don't know how I'd feel about having to rent one. Might make me feel like I'm being "nickled and dimed." But I do like the idea of little signs asking folks to enjoy the hammocks while they are there, but not to reserve them in any way. Just me. :confused3

Also, folks talking about not being able to get an umbrella or lounge chair... That surprises me! We were down near the far end of the family beach in May and there were scads of umbrellas and chairs that weren't being used (or reserved). In fact, I was so shocked, that I took a photo of the crowd down by the ship and then a second photo of the beach where we were sitting. It was like that all day. Late in the afternoon, we wandered over to the hammocks and I guess we were lucky enough to find an open hammock down there. I don't think there was a towel on it. I probably would move a towel without thinking, figuring someone left it by accident. I don't think of a plain DCL towel as someone's "belongings." We swang in it and took pics for about 20 minutes and then left.

Of course, my dh and I rode the tram down to serenity bay just for a look-see while the kids were at the club and we coudn't find any umbrellas open there. But there were tons at the family beach all day long, down at the far end.

Enjoy CC everybody! I think it's heaven on earth, hammocks or no! :cloud9: I'll attach those photos, just for fun!

Karen

Crowd down by the ship:
IMG_1273.jpg

Empty at our end!
IMG_1274.jpg

My DW and I are not swimmers. I have snorkled once but really do not like salt water much. We are not "sun worshippers" either but we do like CC. Usually we will find a shady spot with or without a hammock and stay there most of the day. If one needs a drink or a potty break the other waits there at the "spot". When we go to lunch we take all of our things and come back to another spot.

I will say that in our times at CC I have seen hammocks, loungers, chairs and umbrellas used for hours by only towels. :confused: Sometimes the owners never return and sometimes they return after a very long time.

I think the renting idea would work very well and am in favor of it.

The theater problem just astounds me and I really do not know what to do. I have never had a problem there and hope that I never do. :confused3

Cruise089.jpg

But I, as well as many others, don't see using it on and off during the day the same as reserving them. You are using it, just not nonstop. Same as going to the bathroom during one of the shows in the theater. You leave your seat, intending to return to it, and are using it before and after your absence.

I dont' think anyone said a trip to the bathroom is unreasonable. That is one extreme.

The other extreme is if you get the theatre early the first night is it yours for the cruise. You are using it, just not nonstop.:rotfl:

There are too many examples of the "empty for hours hammocks" that indicate it is gone to one extreme. A little moderation is indicated.

If you're gone for hours, let someone else use the hammock

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter