Providence, RI; where to stay if I need to commute to Dunkin Center?

NotUrsula

DIS Veteran
I need to attend a multi-day event at Dunkin Center in downtown Providence, but most of the downtown area hotels are already booked. Would someone who knows Providence please be kind enough to give some advice on areas that are relatively safe to come and go from at night, but are also a relatively quick commute to/from the downtown area?

The event is in winter, and runs from lunchtime Thursday until late afternoon on Saturday.

Thanks!

How would you be commuting? Uber, rental car?

Have you tried the Omni Hotel?

How would you be commuting? Uber, rental car?

Have you tried the Omni Hotel?

Yes, I've tried the Omni. Most of the downtown hotels still available during the event have really jacked their rates, and I'm not sure it is worth paying that much ($400+/nt) for proximity.

We will probably have a rental car because we want to make an evening side trip up to the Boston suburbs to visit an old friend. Also, a car rental for a weekend event generally costs less than multiple cab/Uber rides, so unless we could get actual walking distance to the Dunkin, renting probably makes the most sense.

Last edited:
You could try the hotels in Seekonk, Mass. area. It's about a 10 minute ride to the Dunkin Donuts Center on I195 and has plenty of restaurants and shopping in the area.

Yes there is a Hampton Inn right off Route 195, 10 minutes to Providence. Lots of restaurants in the area as well. I have stayed there several times.
Denise

The airport (PVD) is actually located in Warwick, RI which is only a 20 minute drive to the Dunkin Center. I would avoid Seekonk and look at Warwick

195 is awful especially on weekdays. Westbound from Seekonk is miserable at both morning and afternoon rush hours.

Smithfield has a Hampton and Holiday Inn Express. 15/20 minutes north of Providence. Just a heads up there’s a lot of road construction going on.

The Omni and the Graduate are good for Downtown Providence. I think there is also a Residence Inn downtown. Any of the Airport (Warwick) hotels are good too and only a 15-20 min drive to the DD Center. Another option is to try North of Providence if you are planning to drive to Boston Suburbs. The Holiday Inn Express in Smithfield is slightly North.

If you search for hotels near TF green airport, you will find rates around 100.00. These hotels are probably the closest if you can't stay in downtown Providence. You would be near the airport with easy access to 95N which is a straight 20 min drive into Providence. If you go after 9:30 am, you shouldn't hit much traffic.

I need to attend a multi-day event at Dunkin Center in downtown Providence, but most of the downtown area hotels are already booked. Would someone who knows Providence please be kind enough to give some advice on areas that are relatively safe to come and go from at night, but are also a relatively quick commute to/from the downtown area?

The event is in winter, and runs from lunchtime Thursday until late afternoon on Saturday.

Thanks!

Last Christmas we stayed at the Renaissance Marriott which is across from the Capitol building. (They charged for valet parking each day, last year it was $30 per day I believe.)

Earlier this month we stayed one night at the Fairfield inn and suites at the Providence airport in Warwick. Then we switched over to the Marriott Providence downtown on Orms Street for the rest of our stay. Both of these hotels have free parking.

Depending on the days you are going and the time of year, prices on hotels there vary greatly. I book under the senior rate which is always the lowest.

I agree with the TF Green area in Warwick. There's a new Hyatt Place that is next to the MBTA station (it's Boston commuter rail, but stops at the Providence train station), but note the line only runs that far south on weekdays.
I've heard good things about the Fairfield Inn next to the airport as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter