"Protest is planned for Noon on both Sat and Sun" - Al Lutz

Ridiculous that guests at the DLR should have to worry about this.

Ridiculous that it's happening at all. I'm not a fan of protests AT ALL because there are generally jerks that cannot keep it peaceful.

I was at DLR today (Saturday) and wandered out to the Harbor Blvd. entrance at 3:15pm to take a look. I came to the park via the Mickey & Friends parking structure. If you drove and parked at M&F, you probably had no idea there was a protest today. And if the protests started around Noon, I missed the start.

At 3:15pm, there were about 30-40 protesters at the Harbor Blvd. entrance, split between the north and south end of the intersection. Dozens of tourists and guests were walking past them, in and out of the transportation plaza, without incident as far as I could see. When I walked around, none of the protesters approached me or said anything to me. As far as I observed, they were peaceful (many with signs) and weren't doing anything to the guests going into the transportation plaza or out to Harbor Blvd. They were mainly there to be visible as far as I could tell. There were police present, but they were in small clusters just observing. No riot gear or anything that looked menacing. There were some horse mounted police, but they were stationed away from the intersection and looking like there were on standby in case they were needed. Everything seemed pretty peaceful. And the size of the protest was probably smaller than expected. There may have been more protesters at the start (e.g. Noon) and maybe dwindled in numbers by the time I showed up.

Based on my experience, there was nothing to worry about going to and from the Harbor Blvd hotels today. But everyone should practice caution regardless and just be aware of your situation as you're entering or leaving the parks.

In 1970, the stoner protesters were called yippies. :smokin:

The head of Disneyland, Dick Nunis, punched a yippie in the face. :cool2:

8_6_70_Protest3.jpg

http://davelandweb.com/yippies/

:earsboy:

LizzyS said:
Ridiculous that guests at the DLR should have to worry about this.

Ridiculous that it's happening at all. I'm not a fan of protests AT ALL because there are generally jerks that cannot keep it peaceful.

Really.. How many protests have you been involved with?

People.. Relax.. Many are using language that parallels protesters with terrorists. Protesting is an effective form of keeping important talking points in the media. Wake up America!

People.. Relax.. Many are using language that parallels protesters with terrorists. Protesting is an effective form of keeping important talking points in the media. Wake up America!
:thumbsup2 I'm so glad I'm not alone in that thought. I think many of us don't really know what the protests are even about (someone here posted they were about a cop being killed, but they are about cops killing unarmed suspects).

I'm so glad I'm not alone in that thought. I think many of us don't really know what the protests are even about (someone here posted they were about a cop being killed, but they are about cops killing unarmed suspects).
If I understand there were two incidents, one with an unarmed suspect, who was running away, the other with an armed suspect who had fired at police (but none of the officers were hit). It seems that one of the concerns was that, after the unarmed suspect was down, the officers in question failed to apply CPR and to try save him.

If I understand there were two incidents, one with an unarmed suspect, who was running away, the other with an armed suspect who had fired at police (but none of the officers were hit). It seems that one of the concerns was that, after the unarmed suspect was down, the officers in question failed to apply CPR and to try save him.

Well... except that the unarmed individual was throwing things from his pockets that were thought to be drugs, the police said many times to stop running and to turn around. All instructions were ignored. The individual then reached for something which (due to his behavior and the fact that he is a known gang member) was believed to be a gun. That is when the officer fired.

- according to local news reports

- Dreams

I was there and walked through it with my family and was very concerned for safety. They were crowding the walkeay at the interstiction and were more militant than peaceful. Annoying. That they drug Disneyland into this. First time ever I have not felt safe. There were both local police and Disney security there but it was not okay. Sunday hey were at least not in the walkway and it was better.

Just wanted to update since my previous post was closed due to political discussion. The protesters are indeed gone today..yay!!:cool1: I can feel safe again. Sorry to incite such heated discussion, my concern was for those preparing to visit DLR soon. I was upset that my DD5 had to be shouted at by a man warning us not to return that night! :scared1: That was totally inappropriate. Also, for those with kids ( for next weekend) there were signs with Mickey being crossed out and derrogatory wording. I redirected my daughter's attention. That being said, No, we will not allow this to ruin our vacation. We hare having a magical trip and we absolutely LOVE the new Buena Street! :wizard:

We were walking back from Goofy's Kitchen to CCI about 8:30 this morning. In the bus loading area we saw 4 police cars and bunch of police, DLR security, and some Suits all meeting in a circle. When we got back to room we heard they had planned a protest for that day at DLR.

We have been at DLR all week watching this unfold. I've just been waiting for someone to come up with the bright idea to protest at DLR. :sad2: I believe they are doing this because they want hurt the city and DLR has got to be the biggest income producer the city has from all the taxes and fees.

We left today as planned and we were glad to go when we did. I'm sorry, but I think people people do need to pay attention and not just pretend everything will be fine. The last protest ended in vandalism to shops and I pray it does not get out of hand tonight. I believe there are a few bad people who are looking to provoke the police.
Pink, you are correct. There were some calling the police pigs..which is not okay! They were trying to provoke them. Now, most of the protesters were peaceful, but let's face it, it only takes one crazy person in a crowd to start violence.

Here are Two videos, so you can check what is going on (hard to wach):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR67yRQdOlo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrZ7zfMVSXU

KTLA news:

Demonstrators called for equality and an end to police brutality, vowing to keep their post outside of Disneyland every weekend until their message is heard.

"Disneyland is the financial power behind Anaheim," Diaz's aunt, Abigail Diaz, said.
She explained that the purpose behind the protest was to pressure the company to acknowledge the recent events.
In little more than a week, police have shot three suspects in three separate incidents, killing two of them"
----------------------------------------------------------

I hope that no ones vacations get's ruin for this, and I hope, that peace, will come again to "The Happiest Place on Earth", and childen from both sides be safe.:sad2:

Do you guys think this will all be over by 8/17? I'll be at the FFI and I have to cross the street where I heard the protesters are.

KTLA news:

Demonstrators called for equality and an end to police brutality, vowing to keep their post outside of Disneyland every weekend until their message is heard.

"Disneyland is the financial power behind Anaheim," Diaz's aunt, Abigail Diaz, said.
She explained that the purpose behind the protest was to pressure the company to acknowledge the recent events.
In little more than a week, police have shot three suspects in three separate incidents, killing two of them"

I hope that no ones vacations get's ruin for this, and I hope, that peace, will come again to "The Happiest Place on Earth", and childen from both sides be safe.:sad2:
I just started watching that and I would overall caution that unless you are there, you really can't draw conclusions-these youtube pieces seem rather slanted. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle.

I'm from Chicago and watched the NATO protests with live cameras and saw the items that the protestors were throwing while the police stood there. When they exceeded their permit time and had been warned several times (an hour plus after the permit) they started pushing back and there were 'claims' of police brutality.

There are peaceful protests and then there are others that are violent and hide behind 'peaceful protest" some interspersed with the peaceful protestors. Without watching 100% of the interaction (and preceding) you can't be sure what the reality is.

I hope noone gets hurt and hope the leave DL out of it. I can say I'm extra glad we are staying on property.

We arrive in the area Saturday afternoon. Visiting DTD & Company D. Parks Sunday. Hopefully things go smoothly.

Were there any protests today?

Last I heard they were planning to protest weekends only, 12-4 PM. Most folks on the DISboards get to the park well before noon. So IF they confine protests to those days and times, you could probably avoid the protesters, if you cared to, by skipping the mid-afternoon break on weekends. You might be able to take ART to get to and from (or near) your hotel, so long as the police (or protesters) don't block the roads.

I just started watching that and I would overall caution that unless you are there, you really can't draw conclusions-these youtube pieces seem rather slanted. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle.

I'm from Chicago and watched the NATO protests with live cameras and saw the items that the protestors were throwing while the police stood there. When they exceeded their permit time and had been warned several times (an hour plus after the permit) they started pushing back and there were 'claims' of police brutality.

There are peaceful protests and then there are others that are violent and hide behind 'peaceful protest" some interspersed with the peaceful protestors. Without watching 100% of the interaction (and preceding) you can't be sure what the reality is.

I hope noone gets hurt and hope the leave DL out of it. I can say I'm extra glad we are staying on property.

I think you are right, somewhere in the middle. As tension builds ,Easily It Can All Go Wrong .:sad1:

we had planned other things for fri, sat and sun. We had to catch the ART on saturday and I think we left at 10:30ish and saw nothing so either they were very peaceful or they were gone. We noticed police cars in the bus area in the front of disney but wasn't sure what was going on. Afterward we heard what was planned and happened. Later that night when we came back there were a few news crews doing a report(KTLA and NBCLA) but just a reporter and camera man for each nothing major. All seems to be well. The mother of one of the boys killed by the police was pleading on tv for people to stop throwing rocks at the police station and to just let things be so???

I was upset that my DD5 had to be shouted at by a man warning us not to return that night! :scared1: That was totally inappropriate. Also, for those with kids ( for next weekend) there were signs with Mickey being crossed out and derrogatory wording. I redirected my daughter's attention.

I'm sorry but those things are just NOT okay. Doesn't sound like they are being civil and peaceful after reading that. Sickening.

If people want to protest, fine. But I don't think the DLR is an appropriate place to do so. The city and police should shut them down.

saradela said:

KTLA news:

Are you frightened by the quote? She is asking for Disneyland to make a statement about an event that happened within a community they belong. Disneyland tries to table it.. Protesters keep the media attention.. It's not rocket science and democracy is usually a messy process. There are very valuable lessons for children exposed to protesters.
"why are they yelling mommy" "they are sad because their neighbor was hurt very badly and they want to get everyone's attention that can help them. There are special managers that are hopefully going to come talk to them. Sometimes change happens by neighbors coming together in public like this. When you really really believe that something is right, it's important stand up for that right"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter