protein shakes?

ohiominnie

<font color=teal>It's interesting when you google
Okey dokey...
Question for all of you WISHERS. I tried to do a google search for this subject, but just came up with lots of places trying to sell me THEIR product and not offering me any other reason to buy that particular one except that it was "the best."

I'm thinking of starting a daily protein shake thingy... :) Like my technical terms?

I find that I dont' think I'm getting enough protein in a day, but when I try to get more, it's usually by eating foods with too much fat (peanut butter, meat, eggs, etc) So I'm thinking of trying a protein shake made with skim milk and maybe some fruit for variety.

WHAT am I looking for? Does it have to be a special KIND of protein shake? What do you use that you like? I'm just clueless. :)

TIA for any advice. :)

:wave: hi karen

why? well it's been awhile since i read up on it so this is the short of it that i remember -- consuming protein just after a workout helps your muscles build/recover and also helps fill that starving feeling. i find that if i drink a protein shake after a workout i'm not near as hungry shortly afterwards.

this is what i have and i think you can froogle it and find it cheaper then EAS site. it's HUGE as you see so i bought it awhile ago, was faithful with it, quit using it and recently have brought it back into my routine. i'm trying to remember what I did/was doing back in 2003 when i lost the weight and felt really good and incorporate those habits again.

i mix 1/2 cup skim milk and 1/2 cup water with 2 TBSP protein powder (about 12 g protein) for a 2 pt drink for WW purposes

and then main reason i buy this product is I LIKE it! it's hard to find one that actually tastes decent :) some have soy protein, this one happens to be whey protein. for me the soy protein is not one i want to drink b4 being in public if you get me drift :rolleyes1

Okey dokey...
Question for all of you WISHERS. I tried to do a google search for this subject, but just came up with lots of places trying to sell me THEIR product and not offering me any other reason to buy that particular one except that it was "the best."

I'm thinking of starting a daily protein shakes thingy... :) Like my technical terms?

I find that I dont' think I'm getting enough protein in a day, but when I try to get more, it's usually by eating foods with too much fat (peanut butter, meat, eggs, etc) So I'm thinking of trying a protein shake made with skim milk and maybe some fruit for variety.

WHAT am I looking for? Does it have to be a special KIND of protein shake? What do you use that you like? I'm just clueless. :)

TIA for any advice. :)

I would not recommend using protein shakes. It is best to use a natural products: eggs, fish, meat and others, which contain lots of protein. :)

I use vega one all in one shake . It is a plant based vegan protein shake . I make it with unsweetened almond milk and usually add half a banana and some frozen berries.

It's been great for me as I am training and trying to lose weight .

Hello!

I'm a slow half marathon runner. I am 45 and postemenopausal. I am not losing weight despite tracking on My Fitness Pal and running a calorie deficit. I've been really frustrated and recently went to see a RD with a specialty in eating disorders. She reviewed my My Fitness Pal and recommended I start a protein shake as I am undereating protein with the level of exercise I perform. She claims that my body cannot lose 'fat' because it is constantly pulling the protein from my muscles to manage my running/spinning/etc. So to lose weight I was eating 1500 calories a day and it was too little to feed my muscles when I go out to run a 10K or spin an hour. Oops.

She basically told me I needed to eat more like 2000- 2500 calories a day. What?! So I am getting used to this idea and have been trying to increase protein AND eat more. Losing weight had to take a back burner to teaching my metabolism that the fast was over.

This article goes into some depth about protein. This site also has a protein calculator that you might find helpful in determining your level of activity and how you might want to adjust your protein. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki1.htm

I wandered into Vitamin World and had the guy walk me through what tasted OK. He had tried about half of the back wall. I bought a whey protein based vanilla he recommended, but I also bought trial packets to taste several others. There is stuff in there that is vegan and made with egg whites or whatever you need to match your eating plan. I felt it was worth a visit to a store like this if you stay focused on protein, taste, and cost.

Lastly, my RD recommended a book called Intuitive Eating. I've got half a lifetime of diet rules floating around in my head and none of them really ever did me a bit of good. They just messed up my relationship with food to the point I didn't even want to deal with food.

Good luck with your goals!!

I'm not "big" into protein shakes but I do consume them a few times a week. DS has one every single day. As a menopausal woman with a family history of breast cancer, I am concerned about soy, so I've definitely looked into proteins without soy. And I'm not convinced that whey/dairy protein is a great choice either. And of course, anything that is "flavored" or "sweetened" I am concerned with what is used for that.

I have tried hemp and pea protein. They are both not particularly tasty on their own and a bit chalky, but I can tolerate both when mixed with almond milk, fruit, and greens. The current CHOCOLATE protein powder of choice here is Orgain organic protein powder in creamy chocolate fudge. The selling points to me are that it is organic, sweetened with stevia and monkfruit (no aspartame or Splenda), it has multiple protein sources (hemp, pea, rice, and chia) for a total of 21 grams per serving, and is relatively low carb (compared to some other protein powders). DS has this every morning with milk (he is allergic to nuts so I cannot switch him to almond milk), bananas, spinach, cinnamon, flaxseed oil, cinnamon, sometimes peanut butter, and a variety of other odds and ends for his particular health issues. It is really tasty. I don't really use it because I'm not always looking for a sweet chocolately shake.... sometimes I just want it to taste like fruit! I use the pea protein most often with almond milk, greens, and frozen berries. Sometimes I switch out the frozen berries for pumpkin or banana.

BTW, I buy the Orgain at Costco.

Best of luck!...................P

Protein shakes can be a good source for you. You need to figure what you are trying to do, lose gain muscle. I have a pretty stranious job. So I eat 1.5 grams per Lb of body weight. If you take them you should do so every day or they are useless. The powder protein is different that meat, eggs, dairy. Your body will process I differently.

I am a vegan and have been for just at 2 years. I also am really into working out with weights so I try to get large amounts of protein as well. Additionally SOY is VERBOTEN for me. I would suggest you look into vegan protein shakes that are soyless. One of the brands that I've enjoyed are named Life's Basics. There are others as well. They all take advantage of protein that comes from peas, hemp, etc... Before i was vegan i would do whey shakes but as you know those are dairy based.

I would recommend reading labels and avoiding anything with artificial sweeteners, which is hard to do. The two I like best are Garden of Life or Nature's Best Isopure Natural. The Garden of Life is great but has no sugar so it takes some getting used to. The Nature's Best has a more traditional taste and works better in smoothies.

I don't think protein shakes are inherently bad if you choose a good powder but don't use them as a substitute for natural protein. Just use them to get in a few more grams when your diet comes up short.

A note about the powders - most cause their consumers to have really bad gas. I'm talking about smell, not just volume. Yeah, kind of a disgusting thing to bring up on a board like this, but it is a reality and one that people need to consider. I have a friend who had his wife threaten to leave him after over a year of dealing with his "gas". Yeah - it was bad. So bad that none of us (his friends) wanted to hang with him to watch sports.

He gave up the powders and the gas disappeared within days. He switched to grilled chicken and never lost a pound - but no gas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter