Protein Powders, etc

Figee17

Mouseketeer
Are you allowed to carry on or check in protein powders/supplemental drink mixes. I will be in week 6 of a training program and really want to stay on track with the meal replacement shake (shakeology) and protein shake for after my workouts.
We have bought both of these in large quantities and so they are not *sealed* in their original bags. Will they be taken from me? They're pretty expensive, so I'd hate to see that happen!

TIA

I'm in the same boat. We'll be keeping up with the workouts but making as many healthy choices as we can.

Is there enough time for you to order them in the individual pouches? That's what I use when I'm traveling. I, like you, would be afraid to risk losing my shakeology powders if I had them packed in baggies...

I brought my meal replacement shake mixes in pre-measured factory sealed pouches. No problem. Do you have an unopened canister? DH & I plan to bring 2 factory sealed canisters of our powdered energy/vitamin drink on the Panama Canal. Individual envelopes of that would be crazy expensive & take up a lot more room in our luggage than the canisters.

Is there enough time for you to order them in the individual pouches? That's what I use when I'm traveling. I, like you, would be afraid to risk losing my shakeology powders if I had them packed in baggies...

Yeah, I didn't think of that in time...I leave tomorrow. Boo :(

Do you just shake them with milk/water or can you use a blender? I would love to take mine onboard!

Do you just shake them with milk/water or can you use a blender? I would love to take mine onboard!

Electric blenders are a prohibited item. I use a Blender Bottle like this:

http://www.amazon.com/BlenderBottle...1425089981&sr=8-1&keywords=the+blender+bottle

I mix mine with cold water. Shakes up good and smooth. To wash the bottle (I'm kinda a clean freak) I buy the disposable Handi Wipes like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Clorox-Handi-...5090125&sr=8-2&keywords=disposable+dish+cloth

A few weeks before I leave home I lay the towels out on the counter, lightly drizzle Dawn dish soap over them, let them dry, then cut them into fourths or eighths. I fold up the cloths, put in a ziplock, and voila! Pre-loaded dish cloths that I can throw away. Easy peasy. They take up no space or weight in the luggage. These are also great for washing Tervis Tumblers that we bring on the cruise with us, too. ;)

FYI, Bounty paper towels are now being sold (or very soon) already impregnated with Dawn Dish Detergent. Per the Good Housekeeping website, the cost is $2.79. If not less depening on store and coupons and such. Worth it just for the time not spent putting it together from scratch.

Electric blenders are a prohibited item. I use a Blender Bottle like this:

http://www.amazon.com/BlenderBottle...1425089981&sr=8-1&keywords=the+blender+bottle

I mix mine with cold water. Shakes up good and smooth. To wash the bottle (I'm kinda a clean freak) I buy the disposable Handi Wipes like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Clorox-Handi-...5090125&sr=8-2&keywords=disposable+dish+cloth

A few weeks before I leave home I lay the towels out on the counter, lightly drizzle Dawn dish soap over them, let them dry, then cut them into fourths or eighths. I fold up the cloths, put in a ziplock, and voila! Pre-loaded dish cloths that I can throw away. Easy peasy. They take up no space or weight in the luggage. These are also great for washing Tervis Tumblers that we bring on the cruise with us, too. ;)
Thanks!

FYI, Bounty paper towels are now being sold (or very soon) already impregnated with Dawn Dish Detergent. Per the Good Housekeeping website, the cost is $2.79. If not less depening on store and coupons and such. Worth it just for the time not spent putting it together from scratch.

I hadn't seen these yet! Fabulous!!!!

In January I went on the Dream cruise including the Castaway Cay 5k Challenge. I boarded with all my extra measured-out snack baggies of Clif electrolyte powder, all in my carryon, and there was no issue whatsoever.

Of course, we've also brought on cashews and almonds (not sealed) and a large variety of Clif protein bars (of course those are sealed). Again, no issue.

Honestly this isn't something I worry about. I wouldn't worry about your protein powder, either.

I worried about this with my daughter's digestive aids (Miralax and Benefiber). I had premeasured them in baggies. I stuck them in my carry on and there was no problem. (I was more worried about the impression of a "white, powdery substance" than an open container for whatever reason.) I also had all my kids' vitamins/supplements in their Sun-Sat dispensers. Never gave that a second thought. No problem there either.

I'd be more inclined to take a premeasured amount and leave any extra at home. At least if it's confiscated you don't lose a months supply.

Thanks for all the first hand accounts. I've decided to bring just enough for my 5 nights onboard in my carryon and if they take it, so be it, but if not - YAY!

FWIW - I boarded yesterday with Shakeology powder and protein powder in their original yet *unsealed* bags in my carryon. I honestly forget they were there but no one said a thing.
Also, I had a container of *sealed* PB2 AND a Nutribullet in my checked bag. I was kind of surprised when I opened my suitcase to unpack and the Nutribullet was still there. I thought they *might* take that from me and give it back at the end of the cruise.
Pleasantly surprised all around!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter