Protective sunglasses that don't break the bank

Princesca

<3 Pink sugar heart attack! <3
What are your suggestions for highly protective sunglasses that don't cost an arm and an eyeball? I'm about to get LASIK and will need something with really good UV protection.

You don't have to spend a lot for polarized sunglasses that provide 100% UV protection.
I have Solar Shield sunglasses. They are the brand my Ophthalmologist sells. My Ophthalmologist charges $25. Rite Aid, CVS etc sell them for $12.
If you want designer frames, you will pay more, but as far as protecting you eyes, you don't have to spend $75.

Depends on what you like for look, function, and feel when wearing. One pair I use right now is Panama Jack semi-rimless sport. I've had Lasik twice. Now older, I wear prescription readers.

You don't have to spend a lot for polarized sunglasses that provide 100% UV protection.
I have Solar Shield sunglasses. They are the brand my Ophthalmologist sells. My Ophthalmologist charges $25. Rite Aid, CVS etc sell them for $12.
If you want designer frames, you will pay more, but as far as protecting you eyes, you don't have to spend $75.
Of course you don't have to spend a lot of money, but don't think that you get the same quality lenses for $12 as you get when you pay more. I have several different pairs of polarized sunglasses and the Ray Bans and Bose Sport ones have far superior optics in the lens than the $15 pair I got in a 2 pack at Costco.

In addition, my Ray Bans have large, wrap-around frames that COMPLETELY block out light bleed from the top and sides, which is essential for me on sunny days outdoors due to migraines. I have not found a comparable fit on cheaper sunglasses. Plus, the Ray Bans are a much darker tint with a greenish cast that also helps prevent eye strain by reducing glare and brightening shadows in all lighting. Again, you won't find that in budget sunglasses.

Of course you don't have to spend a lot of money, but don't think that you get the same quality lenses for $12 as you get when you pay more. I have several different pairs of polarized sunglasses and the Ray Bans and Bose Sport ones have far superior optics in the lens than the $15 pair I got in a 2 pack at Costco.

In addition, my Ray Bans have large, wrap-around frames that COMPLETELY block out light bleed from the top and sides, which is essential for me on sunny days outdoors due to migraines. I have not found a comparable fit on cheaper sunglasses. Plus, the Ray Bans are a much darker tint with a greenish cast that also helps prevent eye strain by reducing glare and brightening shadows in all lighting. Again, you won't find that in budget sunglasses.
We did a story on that. Our Reporter took my $12 sunglasses and her $500 sunglasses and they have a machine that tests the protection.
My $12 offered full eye protection, her's offered NONE. Mine are ones designed for people who have had cataract surgery. Her's were designer.

We did a story on that. Our Reporter took my $12 sunglasses and her $500 sunglasses and they have a machine that tests the protection.
My $12 offered full eye protection, her's offered NONE. Mine are ones designed for people who have had cataract surgery. Her's were designer.

Okay. The Ray Bans and Bose sunglasses I have both have 100% UVA and UVB protection.

I was talking more about the sharpness and clarity and glare reduction in better quality lenses. UV protection is just one facet.

The $500 designer frames were probably Prada or something, and those are fashion sunglasses and often don't have UV protection.

I buy Polar Eyes fit over sunglasses at Sam’s Club. They are cheap plastic polarized glasses, with a frame that is deep so it rests against your head. It blocks light from coming in at the sides, top and underneath. They are great for driving since they block light from the window, great for swimming since the reflections off the water are blocked plus they are polarized, and completely block out the sun from above. I buy the curved edge version so by peripheral vision is not blocked. The only cost about $25, and Walmart sells them too.

I love Sunski! Nice lenses, light weight, recycled materials, and cute. Lots of half price deals.

I need good eye protection too.

My husband got Lasik surgery on both his eyes last year. They gave him a pair of wraparound sunglasses which he loves. He says they are so much better in the bright sun. He has 2 pairs one from each surgery and still wears them while driving or as needed while outside.

I bought these several years ago to wear while walking in the bright sun. They are very comfortable and the wrap around style blocked the side light. They aren't the most attractive sunglasses that I own but they are my go to sunglasses for bright sunny days, especially at the beach. They also don't sit on my cheeks like some of my "fashion" frames so they don't fog up.

RIVBOS Polarized Sports Sunglasses Driving shades For Men TR90 Unbreakable Frame RB831​

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019MM7XUQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's possible to find polarized Ray-Bans at department store outlets like Nordstrom Rack and Saks Off Fifth. I buy them exclusively, and they go for about $70-$100 per pair.

It's possible to find polarized Ray-Bans at department store outlets like Nordstrom Rack and Saks Off Fifth. I buy them exclusively, and they go for about $70-$100 per pair.
Also, If you use prescription sunglasses, insurance will often cover the cost. Last year, I got a pair of Ray Bans (rx, polarized) and I think the copay was around $30 or $50. The store looked at my insurance and told me it's really good coverage and I could choose any pair in the store. They assured me they would be able to adjust them so they'd fit me well but they never could. They are just too big and fall off when I look down. So, I keep them in my car and function well enough for driving.

My problem is not ever finding sunglasses that are dark enough. I'll be getting an eye exam later today and will be shopping for glasses, regular and sunglasses. I will check out Costco too.

Also, If you use prescription sunglasses, insurance will often cover the cost. Last year, I got a pair of Ray Bans (rx, polarized) and I think the copay was around $30 or $50. The store looked at my insurance and told me it's really good coverage and I could choose any pair in the store. They assured me they would be able to adjust them so they'd fit me well but they never could. They are just too big and fall off when I look down. So, I keep them in my car and function well enough for driving.

My problem is not ever finding sunglasses that are dark enough. I'll be getting an eye exam later today and will be shopping for glasses, regular and sunglasses. I will check out Costco too.
My son got his first pair of Rx sunglasses at Costco a couple months ago. They are DARK DARK. They actually pose a problem in parking garages because they are TOO dark, but he can't see without the Rx so he has to do a quick glasses swap when he enters a parking garage when driving. He normally uses Transitions lenses, but those don't darken in our car because our windows have UV protection in them.

Anyway, they are Ray Ban frames with the dark grey lens tint. Costco has different sunglass tint color options to choose from. We went with the darkest and they are really dark, so if you go that route, just ask them for the darkest sunglass tint they offer.

My son got his first pair of Rx sunglasses at Costco a couple months ago. They are DARK DARK. They actually pose a problem in parking garages because they are TOO dark, but he can't see without the Rx so he has to do a quick glasses swap when he enters a parking garage when driving. He normally uses Transitions lenses, but those don't darken in our car because our windows have UV protection in them.

Anyway, they are Ray Ban frames with the dark grey lens tint. Costco has different sunglass tint color options to choose from. We went with the darkest and they are really dark, so if you go that route, just ask them for the darkest sunglass tint they offer.
I have the same issue with my transitions lenses not working in the car. They did offer ones that would work in the car but those retain some shade even in their “clearest“ times. I’ve considered trying them but working in radiology with so many dimly lit rooms, I’m afraid it would be too dark.
We do belong to Costco so I will check them out. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter