Pros/Cons of Resale

Krs1300

Mouseketeer
We've done our tour and have decided that DVC is definitely in the future for our family... but now we are left to decide if we buy direct or purchase a resale. What would you say are the pros and cons of each? As far as I can tell, the only differences are (depending on the property) the length of time the property will be ours and the fact that we can only use the Villas if we go the resale route. Do you think that not having the freedom of using your points for DCL and other resorts is a big deal compared to the price difference? I can't imagine that we would choose to stay in a room at one of the other hotels if we have the option to be in a Villa... with the ONE exception of renting a cabin in Fort Wilderness. It is a completely different experience and we did that a lot when I was a kid. I have amazing memories there!

I appreciate any help!! :goodvibes

Pros of buying Direct:
You get your points immediately to use.
Full flexibility of exchanging for Collection and DCL
Financing if you need it
A much lighter wallet!

Except for non extended OKW contracts all resale and direct purchases give you the same life on contracts as the length of a contract is set from the date the resort opens not when you buy in.

You need hundreds of points to swap to Collection and DCL and they are a really poor use of points anyway. You can still swap out to RCI with resale points.

Resale will save you thousands of $ but the process takes a couple of months until you secure the points in your account and if Disney excercise their ROFR you are back to square one.

We have one Direct contract and two Resale and I wouldn't contemplate another direct contract unless the restrictions were increased on resale.

As far as I can tell, the only differences are (depending on the property) the length of time the property will be ours and the fact that we can only use the Villas if we go the resale route.

as meggysmum said, the first is not an issue at all with resale/direct and the second is not exactly true, as you can still exchange resale pts through RCI and for the Club Cordial and Club Intrawest resorts. (still not really worth it, IMO, but they are options so you are not limited to "only the villas.")

Do you think that not having the freedom of using your points for DCL and other resorts is a big deal compared to the price difference?

have you looked at the point charts for cruises? what do you think?

i think you can still rent resale pts for cash and come out ahead if you want to do that...but you are paying a lot extra just for the option to pay more later in order to gain a little bit of convenience...

I bought resale last summer. I couldn't fathom (nor afford without a big loan) paying nearly double to purchase direct. With my family size (5) I did not see ever using points to sail DCL or go on an AbD trip, the point cost were way too high. I bought DVC points to stay in DVC accommodations, so resale was definitely the best option for my family.

I won't rule out ever trading out via RCI, (which IS still an option, despite that I have heard that Guides will say otherwise) but I don't see it while my kids are young.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

As mentioned, the options that come with direct are not the best use of points so you are paying more for something that may not make sense. Plus, those options can always be taken away, even from direct buyers. As DVC continues to build, those resorts that are currently available inside may be gone, including the cabins. There was a rumor of a Ft. Wilderness DVC and if that happens, staying in the cabins will no longer be allowed. Resorts that now have a DVC component do not allow booking of regular rooms with points.

In terms of ending date, the only one that is different going direct is OKW as those are all extended and some on the resale market are not. But all the other resorts are the same.

In terms of cruising, I would again not use that as a deciding factor in my decision because that too can change down the line. And, the price per point is a lot! I am contemplating a cruise next summer and for me and my daughter to go, it will be 286 points. Cash price right now for the same room type is about $2000. Given that I'd be using BLT points, which I could probably transfer for $13/pt, that about $3700..way too big of a difference for me...of course, we are going at a peak time, but still, its not a reason, IMO, to choose direct.

Now, I'd you have a trip coming up that can be replaced with a DVC points trip and the cash saved on that is used to purchase, it could bring the direct price closer to resale. Given the ease of buying direct, this might be the only situation in which I might consider it..and even then, it wouldn't be a given.

When buying direct, you are allowed to use a Disney visa to purchase and will get 6 months to pay with 0% interest. Even if you have the cash, its a nice option as you get rewards points if that's what you decide.

Good luck!

We've done our tour and have decided that DVC is definitely in the future for our family... but now we are left to decide if we buy direct or purchase a resale. What would you say are the pros and cons of each? As far as I can tell, the only differences are (depending on the property) the length of time the property will be ours and the fact that we can only use the Villas if we go the resale route. Do you think that not having the freedom of using your points for DCL and other resorts is a big deal compared to the price difference? I can't imagine that we would choose to stay in a room at one of the other hotels if we have the option to be in a Villa... with the ONE exception of renting a cabin in Fort Wilderness. It is a completely different experience and we did that a lot when I was a kid. I have amazing memories there!

I appreciate any help!! :goodvibes
IMO the options lost going resale are of no real value in that they cost more than if you had less points and just used them at DVC and paid cash for the cash type exchanges. You can still exchange with RCI and currently Buena Vista Trading Company. IMO the only appropriate reasons to buy retail are for smaller purchases of say 50 or less, to get something you could't get resale such as Use Year or number of points, or to get the newest resort that's not available resale (Grand Floridian). I don't believe in financing vacations or luxury purchases but for those that want, there are options to finance resale as well. If DVC makes sense for you otherwise, I'd suggest you buy only the points you'd use at DVC resorts and use cash for the other options planning accordingly. Depending on what/how many points you're looking at, you might want to consider a small cushion of say 10% extra points.

:surfweb: being your first DVC contract with cash than re-sale is the answer.

Buy AKL and ROFR probably won't be an issue - you'll be on a bus or back in the :drive: - if that's not an issue - buy resale and bit LOW (IMO). Buying re-sale with any of the other venues is a gamble with ROFR so bid asking or very slightly below.

We only ever bought direct so :stir:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter