• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pros/Cons of adding points via resale

RRM1020

Earning My Ears
Hello all,
I am a new DVCer and have booked our first trip.
I currently own 250 points I bought direct - easy dealings.

I am considering adding an extra 50 points. I have seen some great deals on resales but am interested in understands the pros and cons of buying second hand as opposed to direct in addition to cost savings.

Also, what are reputable places to buy in the secondary market?

Thx

You can' t go wrong with the ts store anytime for a resale , but their are some limits on using the points ,but if you are only staying on disney property then you will have no problems at all . I have bought all 3 of my contracts via resale .

Info from the Member website about the restrictions on points purchased via resale:

"Members who purchase from anyone other than Disney Vacation Development, Inc., on or after March 21, 2011, will not be eligible to use those Vacation Points to make reservations within the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. Those Vacation Points will instead be valid only for reservations at Disney Vacation Club resorts, as well as for RCI® exchanges, Club Cordial and Club Intrawest."

Pro:
- price
- price
- price
- price

Cons:
- it will take longer to find the right contract (point and UY wise) on the resale market
- once found, from offer to points loaded it will take up to 2 months and a half
- you cannot combine your direct points with the resale ones to book a Cruise, ABD or Disney Hotels using points
- maybe (none knows for sure) in the future Disney can add more restrictions to resale contracts

Since booking resorts outside DVC is a bad value anyway, the cons do not look too bad and paying half the cost seems a very good deal.

zavandor said:
Pro:
- price
- price
- price
- price

Cons:
- it will take longer to find the right contract (point and UY wise) on the resale market
- once found, from offer to points loaded it will take up to 2 months and a half
- you cannot combine your direct points with the resale ones to book a Cruise, ABD or Disney Hotels using points
- maybe (none knows for sure) in the future Disney can add more restrictions to resale contracts

Since booking resorts outside DVC is a bad value anyway, the cons do not look too bad and paying half the cost seems a very good deal.

Thanks.
I have heard about resorts outside DVC not being good value. Can you please explain?
I thought it was 150-180 pts for a week in one of the RCI hotels.

Thx,
Roger

Thanks.
I have heard about resorts outside DVC not being good value. Can you please explain?

Thx,
Roger

Most of what is available through RCI doesn't really compare with what you get with DVC. And sometimes it is hard to get what you want without planning far out ahead, like a year or two ahead of time. Maybe the online booking might make it more worth it.

Thanks.

160 pts for a 1BR through RCI (i think it's 230 pts for a 2BR) - and you actually CAN book through RCI if you buy resale...but most of the options through RCI can be bought on ebay for $1 with annual dues that are much lower than DVC, so trading a DVC week that cost thousands upfront and 50% more or so extra in annual dues is kind of like buying a lexus just so you can trade it for a chevy.

trading for cruises and disney hotels is only possible for direct purchasers, but if you figure you can get $10 per pt by renting them out, you are paying a premium by buying direct just so you can pay another premium (i.e. more than if you just paid cash) to trade out for a cruise or a stay at the poly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter