Pros/Cons about Coronado Springs

MAversa77

Earning My Ears
Our little guy will be 4 yrs and 4 months next year when we travel to Disney; last year we stayed at All-Star Movies and were thinking about Coronado Springs for next year...who can offer pros and cons?

Good morning! We stayed @ CSR in Sept. 2011 and are on our way back there in 17 days. You are going to get a lot of opinions on CSR, some good and some not so good. :) Our pros and cons were:

Pros: 1) The feel of the room! To us, it felt more on the deluxe side. We loved the sliding doors that separate the bathroom area from the sleeping area. The colors are warm and inviting, and it just felt very comfortable to us. The queen sized beds are a must for us (we are a tall family). 2) The main pool area. The pool is large and the jaguar slide is lots of fun for all ages. We thought that the theming @ the pool was great! Plus, on our last visit, they had pool side movies each night (I think a lot of the resorts do this now), and they had a small campfire where you could roast marshmellows and make s'mores. 3) The bus service! Now, I have only stayed onsite 4 times, but in 2011, we never waited longer than 10 minutes for a bus to/from any park or DTD. Maybe we just were lucky, but we never had crowded buses either. 4) Close to most major parks. Okay, so a lot of the resorts can say this. But, it seemed that it never took longer than 10 minutes to get to EPCOT or HWS, maybe 5 minutes to AK and Blizzard Beach. MK probably takes 15-20 minutes to get to by bus, but DTD does take awhile... think it was 25-30 minutes? But, being close to 3 of the 4 major parks was a perk for us.

Cons: NONE! Okay, at least not for our family. :) A lot of people will tell you that if you get "stuck" in the Ranchos section, it's not a good thing, because it's the furthest from El Centro. Our family actually requested the Ranchos in 2011, and we have requested Ranchos 7B again for this coming trip (hoping we get it!). We are not a family to rely on the main food court/shops @ the resort much, so even if we did have to venture that way, it was about a 10 minute walk each way. We were close to the main pool, 2 bus stops, right next to the Ranchos quiet pool, and the laundry facility. Other folks may tell you that the resort is too big. We didn't mind the large size of it, as it felt like it was relatively quiet. Others will say that it being a convention resort is a con. However, there are other convention resorts on WDW property. We didn't notice the folks attending the convention when we stayed, and it meant less people on the buses to the parks! :)

I'm sure no matter what you decide that you and your family will have a magical vacation! Good luck deciding!!:shamrock:

Good morning! We stayed @ CSR in Sept. 2011 and are on our way back there in 17 days. You are going to get a lot of opinions on CSR, some good and some not so good. :) Our pros and cons were:

Pros: 1) The feel of the room! To us, it felt more on the deluxe side. We loved the sliding doors that separate the bathroom area from the sleeping area. The colors are warm and inviting, and it just felt very comfortable to us. The queen sized beds are a must for us (we are a tall family). 2) The main pool area. The pool is large and the jaguar slide is lots of fun for all ages. We thought that the theming @ the pool was great! Plus, on our last visit, they had pool side movies each night (I think a lot of the resorts do this now), and they had a small campfire where you could roast marshmellows and make s'mores. 3) The bus service! Now, I have only stayed onsite 4 times, but in 2011, we never waited longer than 10 minutes for a bus to/from any park or DTD. Maybe we just were lucky, but we never had crowded buses either. 4) Close to most major parks. Okay, so a lot of the resorts can say this. But, it seemed that it never took longer than 10 minutes to get to EPCOT or HWS, maybe 5 minutes to AK and Blizzard Beach. MK probably takes 15-20 minutes to get to by bus, but DTD does take awhile... think it was 25-30 minutes? But, being close to 3 of the 4 major parks was a perk for us.

Cons: NONE! Okay, at least not for our family. :) A lot of people will tell you that if you get "stuck" in the Ranchos section, it's not a good thing, because it's the furthest from El Centro. Our family actually requested the Ranchos in 2011, and we have requested Ranchos 7B again for this coming trip (hoping we get it!). We are not a family to rely on the main food court/shops @ the resort much, so even if we did have to venture that way, it was about a 10 minute walk each way. We were close to the main pool, 2 bus stops, right next to the Ranchos quiet pool, and the laundry facility. Other folks may tell you that the resort is too big. We didn't mind the large size of it, as it felt like it was relatively quiet. Others will say that it being a convention resort is a con. However, there are other convention resorts on WDW property. We didn't notice the folks attending the convention when we stayed, and it meant less people on the buses to the parks! :)

I'm sure no matter what you decide that you and your family will have a magical vacation! Good luck deciding!!:shamrock:

We AGREE! We call CSR the "deluxe moderate"! :thumbsup2

To have a moderate room that feels more luxurious and deluxe inside is a real plus for us adults. We also LOVE Ranchos, so close to the main pool hub (where you can get standard food court lunches), the quiet pools are very quiet, the bus system is great and not far from any rooms. The ready made to go food is better than any other resort we have stayed at. Convention - I don't know where those people are but not at the pool or on the buses. I don't use the resort food court at lunch, I imagine they are there then. You can use a bus to get to the front buildings if you want. It's not as big as people say, smaller footprint than CBR, not much different from POR, it's just that POR has an island in the middle of their "lake" so it seems that way. Last year was 10 days at POR and while I love it there too, the main pool is packed and difficult to get seats even in low season - CSR, never a problem. I stayed here when my youngest was four and loved it! It was truly a relaxing treat for us adults while providing plenty of fun for the kids.

CSR is our second-favorite moderate, just a hair behind POR. As already mentioned, CSR has a deluxe feel and the buses and pool never seem to get too crowded. CSR is also the only moderate with a fitness center if that matters to you. The only reason we rank CSR just behind POR is the decor. We live in the Southwest so the decor at CSR isn't different or exotic to us.

In my opinion, CSR is truly unique as it looks and feels like it's in the deluxe category. The rooms are very well done and the door separating the room proper from the vanity and bathroom area is ingenious. The resort grounds are beautiful, the pools fantastic, and I could swing in a hammock all day long!

The biggest con that I see mentioned is the sheer size of the resort; it IS large. That doesn't bother me though. On our last stay we were in Ranchos, clear across the lagoon from everything, and it only took 10 minutes or so to walk the distance (and that was with a 3-year-old). It's also a convention resort so areas can become quite congested as large influxes of people check-in.

I never thought another resort would beat out POFQ as my favorite Mod, but after 2 CSR stays it's tied for that top position!

We love CSR. My kids love the pool, especially the slide (OK, we *all* love the slide!). I like the rooms - the beds are very comfortable and they have nice bedding, not those scratchy bedspreads. We have been in Cabanas several times and Ranchos twice and while Ranchos is further from El Centro, I don't think it's *that* far away. It took us 10 min to walk from our room to El Centro. It is just a beautiful resort. And while WDWRICH above likes POR slightly better than CSR because of living in the Southwest, the POR theme doesn't appeal to us because we live in the South. :) I always feel like I'm getting both a Disney vacation and a Southwest vacation at one time!

Thank you everyone we appreciate the feedback greatly! We are greatly leaning towards CSR for our visit next October.

I have not stayed at CSR yet but will be for 10 days this November. From my own research, it seems the only con is Pepper Market. It is a QS location but a hostess seats you and a server brings and refills your drink, even though you get your own food. Because of this, you are required to tip. To avoid this, you'd have to get your food to go. I don't love the idea of this since we eat in the food court a lot but if it works out ok and the food is good, then I'll be ok! :thumbsup2

We are looking at adding two nights to our May 2014 trip. We want to be close to the Dig Site and a Bus Stop. Considering Ranchos 7B or Cabanas 8A or 8B....
Have you ever had any problems getting on the morning buses to the theme parks?

We stayed at CS in Feb 2012 and really liked it. The rooms were great. We especially appreciated the sliding door that separated the sleeping area from the vanity/bathroom area. I'm an early riser and could get ready without disturbing the rest of the family.

But the resort is very spread out. My husband's job was to go fill our refillable mugs every morning, and he didn't really like the long walk to the main building.

I have not stayed at CSR yet but will be for 10 days this November. From my own research, it seems the only con is Pepper Market. It is a QS location but a hostess seats you and a server brings and refills your drink, even though you get your own food. Because of this, you are required to tip. To avoid this, you'd have to get your food to go. I don't love the idea of this since we eat in the food court a lot but if it works out ok and the food is good, then I'll be ok! :thumbsup2

As of about 3 weeks ago they have changed the operation of Pepper Market. Apparently WDW told them they had to. There is no longer any Hostess or table servers or tipping. I didn't mind it the other way, but this should make some people happy. :thumbsup2

We are looking at adding two nights to our May 2014 trip. We want to be close to the Dig Site and a Bus Stop. Considering Ranchos 7B or Cabanas 8A or 8B....
Have you ever had any problems getting on the morning buses to the theme parks?

Dec 2010 we stayed in Ranchos 7B for 14 nights (14th-28th). No issues at all most of the trip. When the Christmas crowds rolled in at the end of our trip I had to stand a couple times, but never had a bus pass us by.

Dec 2010 we stayed in Ranchos 7B for 14 nights (14th-28th). No issues at all most of the trip. When the Christmas crowds rolled in at the end of our trip I had to stand a couple times, but never had a bus pass us by.

If you only had to stand during the Christmas Crowds...I hope that means we should not have to stand in May.

I agree with PPer's positives, and will add/include the TS is a WDW hidden gem. Great food, great service. Seldom crowded.

If you plan to use the food court, I WOULD pay extra for a preferred room. (I feel the same way about CBR.)

Very enjoyable stay there and I would happily return.

As of about 3 weeks ago they have changed the operation of Pepper Market. Apparently WDW told them they had to. There is no longer any Hostess or table servers or tipping. I didn't mind it the other way, but this should make some people happy. :thumbsup2

I am not happy about this change. The Pepper Market set up was one of the things that I loved. It is so annoying to get your food, stand in line to pay for it (while it gets cold) then try and find a table before someone elses kids run around you and grab the table you are heading for. I can't tell you how many times I have been bumped into by a kid trying to beat me to a table. I've had an entire tray dumped on me. And if you decide you want something else you have to go through the lines again. Being seated at Pepper Market, getting my food when I was ready, returning to my table without having to chase down a table, and then paying for my food AFTER I was done eating was a great thing.

We love everything about CSR! If my 11 year old son could add one thing -- it would be a better arcade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using DISBoards

We really like CSR (see my signature below, we stayed many times), but it is very spread out. My kids were a little older when we stayed there, so the walking didn't bother us too much. It may be harder with a five year old.

Did you ever stay at Pop Century? That would be alot of fun for a five year old, and it is a bit cheaper. The food court is amazing and the resort is very colorful and fun. No hot tub though (we love hot tubs!).

CSR is a little more sedate, it is beautiful for the parents and has deluxe features, but not as colorful as POP. The pool and hot tubs are great though, and there is a slide. I don't think there is a slide at POP (but I could be wrong). My husband likes the health club.

I am not happy about this change. The Pepper Market set up was one of the things that I loved. It is so annoying to get your food, stand in line to pay for it (while it gets cold) then try and find a table before someone elses kids run around you and grab the table you are heading for. I can't tell you how many times I have been bumped into by a kid trying to beat me to a table. I've had an entire tray dumped on me. And if you decide you want something else you have to go through the lines again. Being seated at Pepper Market, getting my food when I was ready, returning to my table without having to chase down a table, and then paying for my food AFTER I was done eating was a great thing.

I liked the set-up as well. Unfortunatley there were too many people that just couldn't wrap their head around it. You do pay on your way out after you have eaten still. So your food won't get cold at least, but you may be stampeded while trying to get to a table!!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter