Pros and Cons of Cabin v. Epcot area resort

fivikse

Mouseketeer
We have stayed in a Cabin and loved it, so we are familiar with transportation issues. We have never stayed in an EPCOT area resort (one of the walkable ones - YC/BC, BW).

If we did cabin, we will have a car. We will have two dc - age 7. It will be August - so hot. Which I see as a negative for EPCOT resort, because will we really want to be walking everywhere?

Anyway, what pros and cons do you see? The space of a cabin vs the convenience of walking over to EPCOT and the BW area...

(MK is our favorite park, followed by a tie between EP and AK. We actually have not been to DHS, but will go at least one day this trip)

dc are strong swimmers, which leans toward stormalong bay, but will it be super crowded?

Just wondering what issues for each I am not considering. we have never been in August. Thanks!

The Epcot Area Resorts are great. We've stayed at Swan and Dolphin five or six times. The bonus is as you already stated....walking distance. The downside is it's brutal in August. Epcot has so little shade that the walking is really tough on the kids. While it's hot, I would not let that scare you off. Being a short walk from the hotels after the Epcot fireworks or boatride away after Fantasmic at DHS makes it worth while.

I have a love/hate relationship with some of the transportation system buses so any time I can be somewhere that's walking distance I think it's a big plus.

If you get you days started early, break mid day for pool time at the hotel and head back in the evening you will be fine. Each of the Epcot Resort hotels has awesome pools. The nighttime entertainment on the Boardwalk is great. Do it! :)

No contest for our family. In Aug go to YC/BC (skip BW option) and enjoy the best pool on WDW property plus movies on the beach in the evenings. In cool weather enjoy the cozy feeling of a FW cabin. You can take a boat or bus from YC/BC to EPCOT, no need to walk it. We just did this over the weekend, in fact. The cast member told us walking would be faster than waiting for the boat, and my dh is 6' and a runner, so I was the one slowing the pace. However, at a normal, not turtle, pace, the boat caught up with us and docked as we were getting to the first resort. There's no advantage to walking unless the line for the boat is too long. Good luck deciding!

We waver between BW or cabin and love both. We just went this August and I really felt that the cabin was a better choice for us. We parked right at our door, which was wonderful in the heat of the summer. If MK is where you'll spend most of your time, then I would definitely suggest the cabin would be best. The walk from the MK bus to your Epcot resort room will be hot and annoying in August, that's for sure.

Personally I think Stormalong Bay is nice, but to me it was a series of small pools with nothing special about them other than sand on the bottom. If you feel okay that you can leave your children to run around from small pool to small pool, then they would be fine. Otherwise, if you have to follow them around, you could end up exhausted LOL! The slide is awesome, of course.

If you have a car, it might be an easier choice to just get water parks on your ticket and stay at Fort Wilderness, especially if you get park hoppers. Then water parks is only around $20 more. Plus the Fort gives you the fireworks, electrical water pageant, campfire sing-along.

All good things to consider! Thanks.

I think dh is leaning toward Cabin - he likes the extra space. I like having the kitchen so we can eat some regular food! But being so close to two parks is tempting...

I hadn't thought about doing a waterpark, that is a great suggestion.

If you don't like WDW transportation Epcot area is the place to be.
You can walk or boat ride to Epcot and H.S.
Shorter bus ride to Animal Kingdom

With 2 7 yo, I'd go with the cabin. Having your own space to unwind at the end of the day is very nice. When our children were younger, we would always stay at the cabins. At the end of the day we were all ready to just relax and the cabins are wonderful for that-the peace and quiet is so nice.
Our youngest just graduated high school and for the past few years we've stayed in the Epcot resort area because she and her friends loved to go to the arcade at ESPN. We also loved grabbing dinner at an Epcot restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter