Pros and Cons: Bay Lake Studio vs Beach Club Studio

rosiebean

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to book a studio for December and have a choice between a Bay Lake studio (lake view) and a Beach Club Studio. The price difference in about $130, which would allow us to put that money toward a character dinner, pirate cruise, or make our park hopper option on the tickets more bearable mentally (as I'm in shock over ticket prices since my last visit).

I'm taking my two sons, who will be 7 and 8, and I know they'll LOVE being by the monorail.

However, they will also like the countries at Epcot and want to go to the Jedi Training institute in the studios. Beach Club is convenient for both.

One more note, I stayed at the Beach Club Villas back in '05 when the oldest was a wee baby and loved it. Loved the location, loved the room (we had a view of the Eiffel Tower and fireworks), loved being able to pop over to Epcot to grad a meal from anywhere in the world.

But my kids will love love love seeing the monorail up close everyday, and over four days, we'll probably be in MK the most (followed by Epcot, which is an easy monorail ride from the MK resorts).

Budget isn't a huge issue, but I'm trying not to go too overboard. The kids and I are trying to budget for the trip by saving...putting a rather generous and unexpected refund into savings, cutting down on going out to eat (saving about $40 or more per week), putting birthday money into the trip (my parents are ridiculous with the cash they send the kids on holidays...where were these people when I was growing up?!). The tickets and room will be paid for easily enough, but the extra money in savings will go to extra fun at Disney. And this is a once-in-a-long-time trip for us...so is the extra fun being right there at MK or a pirate cruise?

*sigh*

Help? Feedback is appreciated!

But my kids will love love love seeing the monorail up close everyday, and over four days, we'll probably be in MK the most (followed by Epcot, which is an easy monorail ride from the MK resorts).

That depends. Only the Poly is located so that you can walk over to the TTC and hop on the EPCOT monorail. From other monorail resorts, you have to get off at the TTC and then transfer to the EPCOT monorail. You could get lucky and the next monorail could be right there, or you might not. If you have the bus as an option, that's probably going to be quite a bit faster (and no transferring).

As for BLT versus BC, one thing I noticed you didn't mention was the BC pool. The BLT pool isn't bad, but it's not one of the better ones in WDW. Stormalong Bay, though, is often considered the best in WDW. With 7/8 year old kids, that could be a big factor, even in December.

It is nice to be able to walk to MK from BLT, but IMO it's even nicer to be able to walk from BC into EPCOT or walk or boat over to DHS. The bus ride to MK from there isn't that bad, but expect stops at other EPCOT area resorts.

I personally view the monorail as a nice thing to do once or twice on a trip. You can do that easily even if not staying at a monorail resort. For instance, if you're in EPCOT already and wish to park hop to MK, you can go out the front and catch the monorail to the TTC, then the monorail to MK. It's a looong trip with the transfer, etc., but you get plenty of monorail time this way.

Besides proximity to MK, another thing BLT has going for it is newness compared to BC.

But for a vacation of any length, I'd probably go with BC.

I agree with the PP, I'd pick BCV over BLT.

We've stayed at both, when we were at BLT we were in lake view, and it is lovely - but you can't see the monorails from there. The monorails go through the lobby of the main building, and while the rooms on the front (theme park) side of BLT can see them from their balconies/windows, the lake view rooms are facing in the opposite direction.

As the PP said, the pool at BCV is much better - and with little boys I imagine the pool could be important - and the area where the resort is situated is great. You're a short hop from Epcot, or from the Boardwalk, and while DHS is not exactly next door it is fairly easy to walk or fairly quick to boat over there. You're also more centrally located on property, meaning your treks to the jungles of the Animal Kingdom will be shorter than if you stayed at an MK resort. (Don't get me wrong, I love the MK resorts and stay at WL if we're there for a short MK-only trip, but I love the Crescent Lake area just as much, and prefer it for longer trips when we'll be all over the property.)

In addition to the other reasons mentioned, I would also recommend BCV over BLT because of the size of the rooms. I think the BLT studios have an odd layout that really cuts into the living/sleeping space of the room. Plus the sink is in the bathroom so only one person can get ready at a time unless someone uses the pantry space (there's a mirror with a ledge in there).

I've got to say, with children that young, BC staying to use the IG would not be our choice.... You're entering EPCOT WS.... Really not a lot of fun there for youngsters .... And to stay there for EPCOT dining... Nothing there I would chose to eat at.....

That said, what I've heard about BLT studios, being really small I'd pick a regular room at WL and use the boat over to the ZmK and save a few bucks or do a studio at WLV.... Still cheaper than any monorail resort...

Poly in my book is insanely over priced... Monorail or not, can't justify that cost... Been there down that not likely to return...

Consider if the boys are really going to get into SOTMK. DS7 was pretty much obsessed with this during a recent trip, wanting to get more cards each day. If you stay at BLT (smaller room, but more up to date), then you could always pop over there at the beginning/end of the day. If your boys/DH ever collected cards, it will become something they want to do each day (new set of cards free with each ticket/admission).

Definitely get park hoppers.

The slide at BLT is pretty fast, and you can also explore the contemporary pool. Both pale in comparison with the pool at BC. If the pool is a big draw (this is why we're doing BC for our next trip in Dec), then BC, if the SOTMK (sorcerers of the magic kingdom) really peaks your sons interest...then stay within walking distance of MK at BLT.

I'm taking my two sons, who will be 7 and 8, and I know they'll LOVE being by the monorail.

okay would do BLT based on your statements.

yes the studios at blt are small - but with only 3 people - 2 of which are kids think you will be fine.

if you go with the Epcot choice - would go with BWV - it makes walking to Studio (DHS) or Epcot fairly easy.

you will probably feel safer at BLT - it does have increase security. so each and every time you kids leave the room they have their keys...

pro
bcv
you can walk to Epcot
great main pool at bc/yc -
love Cape May Cafe - all the restuarants are in bc/yc
some of the worst views that a DVC resort has - unless you get lucky

blt-pros
you can walk to MK
has an activity hall so lots to do for the kids
it has quick service and dinning at CR - which is a short walk away - on the 5th floor of BLT - on the 4th floor of CR - this is also where the gifts shops and monorail access is located
the pool is small and not every deep - doesn't seem to discourage the kids - they seem to love it. you can go to CR and swim there - if you can get the kids out of BLT pool
some of the best views that a DVC resort has
you can ride the monorail to the Polyn and GF if you want to eat or explore there.
plus my favorite walking to and from the MK!!! - especially those nights when more than just the MK is closing at the same time - the lines can really back up

Thank you for your responses! I'm still mulling things over but am close to choosing BLT because of proximity to MK and because my boys want to do the pirate cruise, and I'd like to have them leave from GF so I can see that property while they are on the cruise...it seems as though it would be easiest to get there from BLT.

We typically stay at both BCV and BLT. Our kids love the pool at BCV too but we stay at BCVbecause of the proximity to EPCOT. Our girls are 13 and 11 so they enjoy EPCOT much more now. If BLT would have been built when they were younger we would haven chosen it over BCV because it is soooo close to MK. You will REALLY appreciate the 6 minute walk back to your room when everyone is standing in line for the buses and monorail!!

BLT is my kids favorite. I love being able to walk to MK. They loved looking out the window to see monorail. So nice to watch fireworks from our room.

I have stayed in both. The BLT studios are smaller than the BCV studios, but I think they are more than adequate for one adult and two children.

Based on what information the OP has given, I would recommend BLT for their trip. I always suggest that once you've narrowed your choice down to two or three resorts, that it's important to think about where you will spend the most time. Since they will be spending a large amount of time in MK, it just makes sense to stay close to MK.

Both resorts are great in their own way, and you can't really make a bad choice between them. I just think BLT would be best in this situation.

Depends on how active the boys and parent is for BCV....

Pool is very spread out.....can the boys walk to slide by themselves(it is outside of pool area)....cause there is no sitting on a lounger leisurely watching the kids in the pool at BCV pool. At 7 and 8 they will probably be hopping over the bridges at lightning speed to check out "the other part of the pool".

I loved BLT more than I thought i would....only con about the room is a bit smaller (studio) and 1 BR didn't have ceiling fan don't know about studio
Happy planning
Kerri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter