Proposing on a minimal budget..

DasBeast

COME ON DOWN!
Hi all, I'm a bit of a newbie to the boards, although my DGF is all over here, so I guess it was only a matter of time before I got sucked in to it, too. :)

My DGF and I are headed to WDW this December for a stay at the Polynesian to celebrate our 3 year anniversary as BF/GF. ( I know, I know..what is taking me so long? ). Since this is also our third annual trip to the DIS, I'd like to make it the most memorable yet and propose to her while there.

My dilemma: Even though our vacation is mostly paid for (and discounted, because she works as a travel agent), I was laid off of my job last month, and had a second fall through before it even started. Needless to say, with a little more than two months to go, I'm worried about my plans here.

Financially, we are ok for living, but I will probably have no money for a decent ring. My question is: Has anyone out there been in a similar position? I still want to propose to her at Disney, because it's so special to both of us. We've had tons of great memories that will last our lifetime there, and I can't think of a better place or time. Are there places or situations where a proposal can be just as special at Disney without the ring?

I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing, but the paranoid person in me wants every detail to be right. Things may turn around job and money wise soon, and if they do, I've got that plan, too. I just want her to remember the moment for being the perfect proposal, ring or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :listen:

My DF and I were on an extreame buget.
I did not get a Disney Proposal (actualy I never got a real proposal... Oh well!)
As for decent ring. You dont have to buy her a diamond ring. I have a beautiful ring that is Amethyst. I love purple and its just great for me.
100_0304.jpg

And as for proposing its self. My goodness man droping down on a knee while in line to her fave ride I think would be amazing!
But then I'm a sucker for declaration of love to the masses.

AWWWWW!! How sweet!!! :love:

I totally agree! It doesn't *have* to be a diamond! There are so many pretty stones to choose from! How about her birthstone? or a pale amethyst?

Some girls won't do this idea, but you could also go with Diamonique, or a CZ set in white gold or platinum :) I have a few that I used to wear all the time before I got my e-ring.

I also noticed you live in PA, in the 'burbs... I'm going to PM you with the name of where we got my ring... definitely a bang for your buck ;)

In many of the stores at Disney they sell both a Mickey ring with diamonds (for about $300) and a Mickey ring without (for about $26). I think either ring as a token of your love would be a great surprise and I agree that dropping to one knee as you're boarding or exiting a ride would be super. Or at a restaurant. Oh, how exciting! Have fun!

OK, I just tried to do a search to find the rings I was referencing but can't find one. Basically, the rings I'm referring to have a large diamond (or "diamond" as the case may be) as the head and two smaller ones as the ears. They were adorable and I know the $26 came in both gold and silver. You might want to sneak away while you guys are in town and try to find one. And whatever you decide, please please share with us; I live for engagement stories!

My e-ring is very non-traditional...DH was also out of work when he wanted to propose. I thought I wanted a diamond, but when DH told me why he picked my ring, there is no way I would want another...he bought me a heart shaped ruby (because it's my birthstone and because we love each other, his words).

In the end, the cost of the ring doesn't matter...it's the sentiment and love attached to it that mean everything in the world! :love: :cloud9:

The ring, for good or bad, is still important (to most girls anyway). It's the first thing they are asked about and show their friends and family when they tell them they got engaged. That being said, it does not have to be a large flashy diamond, as other posters have said. I think, since you are proposing in Disney and Disney is obviously important to you and your DGF, you can go with a ring like purplegirl247 suggested - that would be great! In the future, if things turn around financially, and if she wants it, you can choose another ring for her. But I suspect she'll always want to wear the original ring because that is the one you proposed with :lovestruc

The main suggestion I have is to actually ask and give her a real proposal! I have a friend who has been married over a year and she still complains to me that her DH never actually asked her to marry him. He just sort of handed her a ring box and he never actually asked her. That still gets to her. So, yeah, make sure you actually propose to your DGF and let us know how it goes!

On a side note - good luck in your job search :thumbsup2

JandJ said:
The main suggestion I have is to actually ask and give her a real proposal! I have a friend who has been married over a year and she still complains to me that her DH never actually asked her to marry him. He just sort of handed her a ring box and he never actually asked her. That still gets to her. So, yeah, make sure you actually propose to your DGF and let us know how it goes!

LOL... I never got a real proposal either! I even tried to get DH to re-propose at the castle, even though our wedding was a day away :rotfl2:

My ring is a pink sapphire set in white gold and I absolutely love it. It doesn't matter how much it cost's as you can always 'upgrade' if the situation changes. You sound like you have a loving relationship and I'm sure she will say yes no matter how you propose. Good luck :thumbsup2

Funniebunny said:
My ring is a pink sapphire set in white gold and I absolutely love it. It doesn't matter how much it cost's as you can always 'upgrade' if the situation changes. You sound like you have a loving relationship and I'm sure she will say yes no matter how you propose. Good luck :thumbsup2

Oooh! Pink Sapphires!! I love them!!

I love that you want to propose at Disney!!! That's perfect! Like the other girls are suggesting, you don't have to have the ring of her dreams, anything will do. I work in a jewelry store, I've had lots of people in very similar situations...I've even had a few that picked out the perfect setting and put a pretty gem stone in the center (until he could afford a diamond, but you know sometimes the girl LOVES it just the way it is!!!). Either way, having soemthing she can show people is a good idea. I am getting married May 17th in Disney World and I still don't have a ring or a proposal!!!! He and my mom said we needed to start saving and planning right away! So, he said he's still propose and get me the perfect ring...I keep telling him that I don't care about the perfect ring, but he insists! So, instead when I tell people about my wedding, they all ask, "Well, where's your ring?" I just tell them it's coming. I would, I think, perfer to show them something! But oh well! You have the chance to do something great, don't let the fact that you don't have a lot of money stand in your way of the perfect proposal!!! Every girl dreams of being swept off her feet by the perfect proposal, and rings are great, but like I tell all my guest, that can be upgraded later!!!! (And I really like the suggestion about the mickey ring!! It would be the perfect symbol!!!) Any way you go, good luck!!! :sunny:

Giftsofalifetime.com is a great place to go to that can help assist you in your proposal. It does cost some money. But go to their website, and notify them, they can probably give you some great suggestions that would not require their services. They can do things like, you set up a dinner at CRT (the castle), and want to propsoe there, they can arrange the CM to bring your ring and flowers or whatever it is you want, then your wife will never know, and you can totally surprise her. Totally check them out!!

I have two suggestions...on where...pick a place that is speicail to her. Her favorite ride or favorite show. IE fireworks, Cinderella's Carosell. And dream big...this is the YOMD right - and then call Disney and ask for help. Maybe it is a special table in the Crystal Palace with Pooh and Piglet coming over with the ring. What ever would be perfect for her. So when she tells the story she just lights up. It has been 14 years since my proposal and I still get shivers when I tell the story. (It wasn't at WDW, but a place we vacation alot - and a place I can bring my kids too)

Now to my suggestion on the ring. What matters is the commitment you are making to each other. As long as you pick out something you love and in your heart you think she would love it - great. I would buy a semi precious gem stone ring and put it in a setting you loved...someday if she wants you can take the stone out and put it in a necklace, and replace it with a diamond. My Mom has her original diamond in a necklace and wears it every day. That way she has the original setting forever.

I too can't wait to hear what happens!

disneybridetobe said:
LOL... I never got a real proposal either! I even tried to get DH to re-propose at the castle, even though our wedding was a day away :rotfl2:
*laughs* I was actualy going to ask him tonight if he would do that when we get up there. hehehehe

disneybridetobe said:

my proposal consisted of "Will you be my girl?" as he handed me the box. :rotfl:

About an hour later I had to clarify that he was indeed asking me to marry him! :lmao:

Another thing you might want to try is a jeweler who can make custom jewelry. I have a jeweler that used my DMIL's diamond and put it in a custom ring designed by my DH. My DH doesn't know I know the price, but it only cost $400. For a solitare it's impressive. But alot of jeweler's can design a ring around your budget. Also, my jeweler will also redesign any ring, meaning I could give him my ring and he could upgrade the stone and use my stone as credit. In other words, find a reputable jeweler who sells in all brackets of jewelry (mine sells generic no-name to Harry Winston) and who people talk about. Ask some people (most likely women) that are jewelry obsessed. You could go to the mall and find the same ring at every store and it be priced for the name and worth 30% of the asking price. Where as custom jewelers charge for time and materials and not because Tiffany's or Helzberg is written on the inside.
I was engaged before, he bought the bridal set from Helzberg for $1000, it was only a 1/5 ct. So when I went to get it appraised after I paid for it and he cheated, it was only worth $375!!!!!!! Don't get riped off. Good luck!

sarah_n_brian2006 said:
Another thing you might want to try is a jeweler who can make custom jewelry. I have a jeweler that used my DMIL's diamond and put it in a custom ring designed by my DH. My DH doesn't know I know the price, but it only cost $400. For a solitare it's impressive. But alot of jeweler's can design a ring around your budget. Also, my jeweler will also redesign any ring, meaning I could give him my ring and he could upgrade the stone and use my stone as credit. In other words, find a reputable jeweler who sells in all brackets of jewelry (mine sells generic no-name to Harry Winston) and who people talk about. Ask some people (most likely women) that are jewelry obsessed. You could go to the mall and find the same ring at every store and it be priced for the name and worth 30% of the asking price. Where as custom jewelers charge for time and materials and not because Tiffany's or Helzberg is written on the inside.
I was engaged before, he bought the bridal set from Helzberg for $1000, it was only a 1/5 ct. So when I went to get it appraised after I paid for it and he cheated, it was only worth $375!!!!!!! Don't get riped off. Good luck!
She does have a point. If you have a stone already or would like to make something, but don't have a lot of money, finding he setting and putting a stone in it that can either be upgraded or traded in is a great idea. I think I mentioned that before. If you have a Jared The Galleria of Jewelry around you, they do exactly that AND just because they're really nice, doesn't mean they're overpriced!!! They're actually cheaper than the mall stores!!!! And they can do something for just about any price range!!!! Good luck, again!

My fiance proposed during Spring Break this year. Disney is very special to both of us, (we both worked for Disney, and that's where we met). The day we got engaged, Kyle stopped by Guest Services at MK to talk to one of the Castmembers. I think he was trying to get hints or suggestions. Anyways, we came out of the store inside Cinderella's Castle, and his SIL had a video camera out, Kyle got down on one knee and pulled out a glass slipper. In it was my ring. He purchased it for about $25 at Arribas Bros. It's one of my favorite stores and I have tons of Jewelry from there. After he proposed, we were supposed to pick up something from GS. The CM was Kristin. She handed us a bag and told us congratulations. She had given us the Mickey and Minnie Bride and Groom ears. I was so excited. Good luck! And let us know how it goes.

- Two former Castmembers getting "hitched" - June 14, 2007 princess:

Something else to consider: Most jewelers do upgrades on diamond jewelry. Even if you buy something to fit your budget now, you can always upgrade later for an anniversary. GOod luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter