Proper etiquette for tipping?

As I have posted before, several of Disney's policies are a result of a union agreement to increase the union members ability to make more money. There isn't anything wrong with Disney or the employees making money but understanding that almost everything that Disney does is to increase revenue better positions the guest to save some money too!

I overheard a guest saying how wonderful Disney is for giving them MB's and how it makes things easier for the guest. I also read that Iger is happy with the 23% increase in guest POS spending attributed to the MB's.

:earsboy: Bill

I was actually kind of glad to read the part about Disney making up the difference between the guest's actual tip and the "required" 18% service charge (as long as the reason for the reduced tip was no fault of the server's). That means that Disney is committed to paying its servers their base wages plus 18% gratuities. Well, at least when it's parties of six or more, anyway.

To answer that one person's question, historically housekeeping has not been a tipped position at most hotels in the U.S. I don't know about other countries.

To answer that one person's question, historically housekeeping has not been a tipped position at most hotels in the U.S. I don't know about other countries.

And you can find plenty of old references to that in old etiquette books.

Of course, if you visited someone's estate for a house party in the 18th century, it was normal to give out vails (tips) to the household staff to ensure you were treated properly. In the late 18th and 19th centuries there was a concentrated effort to get rid of the practice. It became rude to imply someone didn't pay their servants well (which of course, they often didn't), give someone else's servants financial means (a broke servant can't take time to find other employment), or imply that someone's servants needed bribing to do a good job (which they often did).

What I find very interesting is the discussion of gratuities/tips and "service charges" starting on page 61 of the union agreement to which you linked. While this thread has been concentrating on tipping housekeeping, this section of the union agreement relates to food & beverage (F&B) gratuities. As far as I know, tipping is a show of gratitude/appreciation for exemplary service and has always been a voluntary activity. However, Disney's union agreement seems to imply that tipping is not only expected but required, and will earn you a stern talking-to from management if you decide to forego tipping your F&B servers.

I'm uncertain where you got that information but it hasn't been true in this country for more years than I can guess. I am not versed on the changes the IRS has made in the last couple of years but previously wait staff was expected to report their tips and could also be taxed on tip income based on a percentage of their guest receipts. That dates back at least to the 90's.

Other countries the gratuities are optional and there's some very recent movement to begin paying waitstaff a prevailing wage rather than one that is paid based on what they also believe tips will be.

What I find very interesting is the discussion of gratuities/tips and "service charges" starting on page 61 of the union agreement to which you linked. While this thread has been concentrating on tipping housekeeping, this section of the union agreement relates to food & beverage (F&B) gratuities. As far as I know, tipping is a show of gratitude/appreciation for exemplary service and has always been a voluntary activity. However, Disney's union agreement seems to imply that tipping is not only expected but required, and will earn you a stern talking-to from management if you decide to forego tipping your F&B servers.

We've all seen the fine print on restaurant menus that indicate a gratuity of 18% (+/-) will automatically be added to bills of parties of 6 guests, 8 guests, etc. Many restaurants I've been to also include language indicating this automatic gratuity can be adjusted by the guest. However, Disney doesn't consider this automatic 18% a "tip" and instead refers to it as a "service charge." The union agreement states that if a guest decides to reduce the "service charge" or not to leave the the 18% at all (i.e. the guest "refuses to comply with our policy"), it is the server's responsibility to inform a manager, and the manager will then come talk to the guest about the policy. The union agreement states that if it is determined the guest refused to pay the "service charge" due to poor service, then Disney will not be responsible for making up the difference between the tip the guest left and the standard 18% "service charge."
But it is still possible to make the change and I think that any situation where it's reasonable to do so should have a manager involved anyway. I'm doubting management would argue it anyway simply because forcing a confrontation is counterproductive. The "service charge" wording is related to the IRS rules which say a tip has to be voluntary and anything that isn't is a service charge even if it goes to the server's. Most companies stopped doing automatic tips by Jan, 2013 because of the IRS ruling that they'd start enforcing their rule already on the books for some time that anything not voluntary would be counted as a service charge and not a tip and therefore subject to Medicare and other taxes. Darden was one of the first to change their rules abolishing auto tipping for large parties, I believe they started the change 1 Oct, 2012 in advance of the IRS enforcement date.

I should have noted that I was specifically speaking about Disney and not industry-wide.

I am looking at a dinner receipt from last week when I used my TIW card for two people. It lists the entree and beverage costs, followed by the 20% TIW discount, followed by Subtotal. Beneath subtotal is: 18% gratuity followed by the amount. Followed by: Tax. Followed by: amount Due, which is the subtotal, plus 18% gratuity, plus tax. There is then an additional item beneath: Tip, followed by a blank line, where you can fill in an additional amount above the 18% that has already been added to your bill. Even though it may be a condition of the TIW discount, I still don't like being forced to pay 18% if the service was not good. Or if the food was cold or not very well prepared (but then that is a kitchen issue and not waitstaff....unless they took too long to pick up their order). I paid for the privilege to have the TIW card. And some would argue that the wait staff at a buffet should not get the same percentage tip as the wait staff at a regular sit down place since you are getting your own food at a buffet. I disagree, because the waitstaff is constantly clearing plates and replenishing drinks. But to each their own.

I can't locate the receipts right now for the first few nights when we had the meal plan, but I think those receipts had the recommended tips printed on it, but did not automatically add it to the bill.

But getting back to the OP's original question, my own personal experience is $2 for a suitcase, $1 for a food shopping bag for bell services. $2 or $3 on T&T day, $3 to $5 on check-out day.
So was I, the 18% requires a qualifying event of either TIW, DDP or a party of 6 or more. Personally I'm fine with it for a number of reasons. It decreases unreported tips, 18% is reasonable overall though excessive at buffet's even Disney's and while it may actually reduce their tip in a given situation I'm sure it increases them overall. However, to be clear, I abhor the system of transferring company costs to the customer in an end run fashion for a process that's been proven not to improve service by studies. IMO 18% is too much for buffet's in general, 10% is the standard with a reasonable minimum for cheaper options. While they may do more at Disney buffet's than at other locations, they clearly do less than at full service restaurants at Disney. I think 15% is a more reasonable set point but I don't feel strongly enough to argue it at the location.

I was actually kind of glad to read the part about Disney making up the difference between the guest's actual tip and the "required" 18% service charge (as long as the reason for the reduced tip was no fault of the server's). That means that Disney is committed to paying its servers their base wages plus 18% gratuities. Well, at least when it's parties of six or more, anyway.
TIW and DDP as well and given the frequent extra charges with DDP, that adds even more.

I can't speak to hotels but can for timeshares for the US, Caribbean and MX. I don't know of any timeshares in the US that expect tipping for housekeeping and all of the ones I know about in MX and the Caribbean that do provide a LOT more service and make it clear that tipping is expected much like on cruises. For all of the ones I have direct experience with you get daily full housekeeping all but Sunday and they often do a LOT more including washing dishes when it is clearly stated they are not expected to do so.

I'm uncertain where you got that information but it hasn't been true in this country for more years than I can guess. I am not versed on the changes the IRS has made in the last couple of years but previously wait staff was expected to report their tips and could also be taxed on tip income based on a percentage of their guest receipts. That dates back at least to the 90's.

Other countries the gratuities are optional and there's some very recent movement to begin paying waitstaff a prevailing wage rather than one that is paid based on what they also believe tips will be.
Technically it's still voluntary for tipping and now it's not tipping if it's mandatory (technically). But it is expected and I suspect that was the point. The problem is that is isn't consistent and there are some stereotypes one could look at to get a better feel for how variable it is. I'm reminded of cruisers who avoid dinner and the cabin steward the last night of cruises to avoid the expected tips, quite despicable. I also recall a honeymoon couple that truly didn't know and weren't prepared and I suspect it ruined their entire honeymoon. It varies a lot in other countries but generally is less than the US. There are some places, Aruba comes to mind, where they often add service charges (usually around 15%) and often little or none of the money goes to the wait staff.

Technically it's still voluntary for tipping and now it's not tipping if it's mandatory (technically). But it is expected and I suspect that was the point. The problem is that is isn't consistent and there are some stereotypes one could look at to get a better feel for how variable it is. I'm reminded of cruisers who avoid dinner and the cabin steward the last night of cruises to avoid the expected tips, quite despicable. I also recall a honeymoon couple that truly didn't know and weren't prepared and I suspect it ruined their entire honeymoon. It varies a lot in other countries but generally is less than the US. There are some places, Aruba comes to mind, where they often add service charges (usually around 15%) and often little or none of the money goes to the wait staff.

Yes, that is correct, I did mean that it is expected. And it's been legal in many places to pay servers less than the minimum wage because it is expected and virtually assumed even by lawmakers. Just wanted to clarify that a view that it is completely voluntary based on liking your service is simplifying tipping to a point that might even be reducing take home pay for a server and not everyone is aware of just what tipping often means. Personally, prior to preparing for a first cruise, I was unaware of the expected nature of it there.

What I meant was that traditionally a tip was meant to show gratitude for better than expected service. The act of tipping, though it is almost universally expected throughout the hospitality industry these days, is still technically voluntary on behalf of the guest, no matter how it gets reported (or not) to the IRS. No one can force you to tip. Even if they automatically add it to your bill for large parties, the guest can still choose to remove it if they wish. Personally, I always tip service positions and usually on the better end because I've BTDT!

Yes, that is correct, I did mean that it is expected. And it's been legal in many places to pay servers less than the minimum wage because it is expected and virtually assumed even by lawmakers. Just wanted to clarify that a view that it is completely voluntary based on liking your service is simplifying tipping to a point that might even be reducing take home pay for a server and not everyone is aware of just what tipping often means. Personally, prior to preparing for a first cruise, I was unaware of the expected nature of it there.
If I understand correctly, employers frequently supplement servers to get them at least to minimum wage though some so split up the service charges (but not tips) between back of the house employees and pass on credit card fees to the servers.

In our early days of visiting WDW, we stayed at DVC resorts (we became members during our first trip). At OKW, for example, each incoming guest received a short "newsletter" from the resort with the incoming package. The one from OKW was called Keynotes. On page four of this newsletter, the resort addressed tipping. "We are often asked about gratuities. At Walt Disney World, it is customary to tip the following positions for exceptional service: bartender, bell services, cocktail server, food and beverage server and valet parker."

It is actually required for employers to make up the delta between wage and tips so that waitstaff makes at least minimum wage. Few have done so, however, and some aren't even aware its supposed to be done.

So if you are a waiter and you work a slow shift, your employer is supposed to get you to the federal or state minimum wage - whichever is higher. I'd have to look it up, but I think its minimum wage over the course of a pay period, so one slow shift won't do it if you also work a busy Friday night.

We tip housekeeping. I appreciate the work done for me, and who doesn't like a surprise! Even got a Thank you note from our last mousekeeper on trash and towel day, that was in the Poly.

We don't tip housekeeping. Especially for short towels and garbage service. It would be the exception if we did even in the hotel with daily service. It would have to be exceptional service and I would want to hand it to the person so I know I didn't give to the person that was servicing just one day while the regular person is off. For the bags I will tip 3 to 5 dollars for delivering of bags from car to room as well as return trip. We usually dont have more than 3 bags but will usually give 5.

A few posters mentioned only tipping bell services one way. We don't travel much aside from disney, but I always thought it was for picking up and delivering bags. We aim for about 1 dollar per bag, but if we have 4 bags, I'll give him a 5. We almost always have a studio for DH and I. T and T day, $3......checking out $5

One thing we do at home, is figure out what we will mostly likely need for tips. Using slips of paper and paper clips....Bell Services - $5 X 4 (we do split stays), Housekeeping - $5 x 4 , etc. We know ahead what most of the tips will be and then throw in a few extra ones, fives, and tens for special cases. At disney I use a sheet from a colorful notepad and a few stickers saying thank you and leave the money clipped to the paper for housekeeping. Of course, everyone else, I hand the money minus the paper clips. No searching thru wallet for cash or having to tip more because we didn't have the correct cash handy.

We still tip the maids on T&T and full cleaning days. $5 per room in the villa -- a studio is $5, a 1BR $15 and 2BR - $20, the last two have kitchens to be cleaned in addition to the living room and bedrooms. On check out day we give the maid an extra $10.

We always leave a tip when staying at a DVC location, we will leave a tip of $2 per day, if we are there for 5 days we will leave a tip of $10. Bell service we will give them $1-$2 per bag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter