Prom Question - tickets

Last year, ds17 was asked as a friend to attend the junior formal (he was a sophomore). He insisted on paying for his ticket, because he's a guy, and wouldn't let her pay. This year he paid for his girlfriend's ticket, and they're both juniors. Formal tickets are $50, prom around $100 each (very formal venues, dj, full dinner).

oh wow - dinner included - never heard of that - cool! then that's not a bad price

My daughter's date is a college freshman and is traveling almost 4 hours to go with her, so we're paying for the tickets. Traditionally I would think that the person asking should be the one to pay, whether that was the guy or the girl, but in this case he offered to come and be her date and she agreed to it so there wasn't really any asking involved. Since he's making a special trip to take her, I thought it was only fair to pay. Dinner is included in their ticket price, and for a total of $220.00 for both tickets it had better be spectacular!

OMG! WOW!!! :scared::headache:

$85 each here. DD is going with a friend. He is buying his own ticket. He ordered flowers, we still have to order his. It is a full formal meal with a DJ, decorations etc. On a Friday night. Seniors can leave school early to get ready. My older daughter went to the local high school. They have an after party overnight that the PTA pays for. I think it was at a sports center and they buy a lot of electronics and such for door prizes. My younger DD goes to a county school that is much smaller. They do not offer an after party. She needs to be picked up by a parent or guardian even though she drives. I am sure that is to prevent drunk driving.

$100/ticket at the school I work at.

If your son invited a date, he should pay, IMO.

$85 each here. DD is going with a friend. He is buying his own ticket. He ordered flowers, we still have to order his. It is a full formal meal with a DJ, decorations etc. On a Friday night. Seniors can leave school early to get ready. My older daughter went to the local high school. They have an after party overnight that the PTA pays for. I think it was at a sports center and they buy a lot of electronics and such for door prizes. My younger DD goes to a county school that is much smaller. They do not offer an after party. She needs to be picked up by a parent or guardian even though she drives. I am sure that is to prevent drunk driving.
All of the kids here take limos or party buses, but I think they actually have breathalysers. They do a lock in night right after graduation to help prevent drunk driving. The past couple of years, dd18 and her friends drove their cars down the shore before prom, and had the bus bring them right there after the prom was over.

What all is included in that $180?

I think tickets for our kids were in the $80/couple range but that was for just the dance. They went out to eat before the dance that was a separate cost.

It's at a hotel in Annapolis and includes dinner. So think wedding reception type food- but no alcohol- of course.

The after prom is "free" because there are a group of parents who have worked for years to put it together and there has been fundraising. Plus, some of the food also gets donated by local businesses. The party costs around $15,000. They just had a bag bingo fundraiser which brought their total over 14K and were just asking parents to donate some money to get to the 15k. It's always a hit with the kids because it's at the school, so most of the money goes into raffle type prizes- there have been laptops and ipads in past years. But the hours are only 10:30-2:30. I wish it was all night.

It's at a hotel in Annapolis and includes dinner. So think wedding reception type food- but no alcohol- of course.

The after prom is "free" because there are a group of parents who have worked for years to put it together and there has been fundraising. Plus, some of the food also gets donated by local businesses. The party costs around $15,000. They just had a bag bingo fundraiser which brought their total over 14K and were just asking parents to donate some money to get to the 15k. It's always a hit with the kids because it's at the school, so most of the money goes into raffle type prizes- there have been laptops and ipads in past years. But the hours are only 10:30-2:30. I wish it was all night.

My daughter asked a friend to the prom who goes to a different school she paid for both tickets, which I think is the right thing to do.

Not for nothing but when did the prom become just prom.
It's driving me crazy all my daughter's friend and herself keep calling it Prom and I keep correcting them.

Not for nothing but when did the prom become just prom.
It's driving me crazy all my daughter's friend and herself keep calling it Prom and I keep correcting them.
What is supposed to be called? I've only ever heard it referred to as "prom", from the time I was in middle school up to now (40 years old).

My dd paid $65 for her ticket, they have gone up to $75 now. It includes a dinner.

DS16 is a sophomore. He's been dating his GF for over a year, who is a junior. They go to the same school, but it's technically "her prom." We were wondering who was supposed to do the asking. About a week ago, he said they had informally discussed going together. She sent him a picture of her dress so he could see the color. Last night, she formally "asked him" by giving him a cute invitation (made to look like a Playbill since he's an actor) and a bunch of balloons. So I guess it's official now that they're going. Now we're wondering who is supposed to pay. It's being held at a museum and includes dinner. The cost is $95 per person! I think they should each pay their own way. He says that haven't discussed it. We're off to reserve him a tux today. The prom is May 9 so we'd better get moving!

DS16 is a sophomore. He's been dating his GF for over a year, who is a junior. They go to the same school, but it's technically "her prom." We were wondering who was supposed to do the asking. About a week ago, he said they had informally discussed going together. She sent him a picture of her dress so he could see the color. Last night, she formally "asked him" by giving him a cute invitation (made to look like a Playbill since he's an actor) and a bunch of balloons. So I guess it's official now that they're going. Now we're wondering who is supposed to pay. It's being held at a museum and includes dinner. The cost is $95 per person! I think they should each pay their own way. He says that haven't discussed it. We're off to reserve him a tux today. The prom is May 9 so we'd better get moving!
My son's prom is a week after your sons and we haven't gotten a tux ordered yet. He is supposed to find out the color of his date's dress but hasn't done it yet. I've been bugging him since yesterday about this. :headache:

ps - I've always called it the prom and still do but I know alot of people just refer to it as just prom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter