• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Prom dresses from China?

Tried it once. HORRIBLE! It was cheap. ANd it made the replacement dress that much more expensive. Live and learn I guess! I did know 2 other people who ordered from one of these Chinese suppliers, and they were nice, even cute! But not ours. NOTHING like the photo. Nothing.
Save your money and check Goodwill, JCP, or whatever.

Tried it once. HORRIBLE! It was cheap. ANd it made the replacement dress that much more expensive. Live and learn I guess! I did know 2 other people who ordered from one of these Chinese suppliers, and they were nice, even cute! But not ours. NOTHING like the photo. Nothing.
Save your money and check Goodwill, JCP, or whatever.

We have had good luck with JCPenney.

I saw the news article about China dresses one girl ordered a dress with sequins and they came in a bag to be put on.

A few of DDs friends ordered dresses online and had to be replaced at the last minute because they did not come in time.

DD just sold one of the dresses that she bought at a bridal store on Craigs List. The one dress that she does not want to sell she bought onCL last year.

My daughter ordered one from a site last year. I was so nervous, thinking it was a bogus site. The dress waSs goregous! Royal blue, had a sparkle to it. She decided not to go to prom last year, so the dress hangs in her closet. Only cost $199 compared to the 3 or 4 hundred dollar dresses I saw.

I bought my DD her grad dress off of eBay from a seller in China. I read the feedback...both negative and positive. There was a size chart in the listing so I measured DD and bought the correct size. I knew it would be too long. We are both short so everything is long. It came faster than the listing stated to expect. It was perfect in every way and exactly like the picture. There's a local seamstress I know who works out of her home. She charged me $25 to hem and take it in at the bust just a little. The dress was $50 and I think $10 or $15 for shipping. It was a beautiful full length chiffon gown. I would definitely do it again,

Have you tried Deb? I hate their clothes for normal wear, but we have gotten DD formal wear there before. They are much cheaper than the bridal shops.

I buy all of DD14's formals from ebay sellers in China. She has very broad shoulders and we've never been able to buy her a dress off the rack in a store. I just search for custom size dresses on ebay, she picks one she likes, we send off her measurements, and in about 3 weeks we have a beautiful dress that fits her perfectly. We have done it 3 times from 3 different sellers and all have been wonderful.

My DD ordered her prom dress from some place in China off of etsy. We sent measurements with the order. It was beautiful and fit her perfectly.

ry%3D400

My DD is the one in the mint green at the bottom of the stairs.

Maggie

My DD ordered her prom dress from some place in China off of etsy. We sent measurements with the order. It was beautiful and fit her perfectly.

ry%3D400

My DD is the one in the mint green at the bottom of the stairs.

Maggie

That is a pretty dress!

We have ordered three times from China. We were very please each time. My only suggestion would be to be sure you allow enough time and they don't have to be rushed. We had to change our selection one time because they could not get the fabric and that put us too close to the event to wait for custom made and had to order from their instock dresses. The dress was lovely and fit her fine, just not what she had wanted color wise. IF we had ordered earlier we could have waited for the color she wanted.

I have also ordred from Light in the Box and JJs House. We have been pleased with all of them. Good Luck.

DD ordered her prom dress from JJ's House in China and I was prepared for tears and a last minute shopping trip. But the dress came within a week, fit like a glove, and was just beautiful. She paid $130 for a dress that would have been over $700 here due to the many layers and intricate beading.

My DD ordered a prom dress a few years ago from Tidebuy. I was very nervous but it was really cheap, $100 compared to $400 for a similar dress at the prom dress store. It came in about 4 weeks, it was a little different from the picture, and the rhinestone accents needed to be sewn on, but it was pretty. Make sure of her size though, it was really big. She didn't wear it, but sold it for close to what we paid.

Hi there,
My Friend Want to purchase designer bridesmaid dress. And we got some coupons through delightcoupons. com/uk/clothing-shoes-jewelry/lightinthebox But we don't sure about site! Will anybody tell us about Lightinthebox? Is it good or average site? can we refer this site for coupons?

I was talking with my DD and some of her sorority friends this past weekend about their dresses for their formal. They all got dresses at local stores for cheap. My DD spent $8, another girl spent $10 and another spent $20! At those prices, I'm sure the dresses they chose aren't really fancy ones, but they all seemed happy about their choices and felt great about what they spent. I'd do some looking at home before choosing something from China online.

Had a friend who ordered bridesmaid dresses from China. They were all WAY too small. Guess it is just the luck of the draw. :)

I ordered a dress for a cruise off eBay (the seller was Ever-Pretty, I think?) and the dress was nice. Pay close attention to the sizing charts if the dress has a zipper, though. I got a size 4 and it was hard to zip it up (I'm a US size 2 for reference.) Dresses without zippers using stretchy material are much more forgiving.

Unless your DD is very easy to please, I wouldn't do it. My DD is very picky. She tried on at least 30 before buying. She liked one ok "if we never find the perfect dress." And finally found two that were perfect and chose her favorite. Many others were "too scratchy", "too pouffy", "too bright" , too something.

Can't imagine that it would work for here.

Unless your DD is very easy to please, I wouldn't do it. My DD is very picky. She tried on at least 30 before buying. She liked one ok "if we never find the perfect dress." And finally found two that were perfect and chose her favorite. Many others were "too scratchy", "too pouffy", "too bright" , too something.

Can't imagine that it would work for here.

This is my dd too. No way I could buy her a dress online, unless it's a place where I can return it to a local store.

We have ordered two prom dresses for DD from a company called Dressyme?? Several girls at her school have used them.

I was very skeptical for all of the reasons already stated but fortunately we have been pleased and not had any issues with the fit or quality.

The lead time for delivery is several weeks so you need to allow plenty of time if you decide to order. Last year the delivery cut it very close (first time using them and I didn't realize it would take so long) so this year she ordered very early.

The dresses were both long on my DD so we did have to have them hemmed. Overall I definitely didn't find it to be cheaper at all but DD loved the dresses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter